frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

In this Debate

Are personality theories just pseudoscience?

Debate Information

Position: For
It has long been believed that people can't change their personalities, which are largely stable and inherited. According to most personality type theories, the individual's type is inborn and does not change. However, I believe that this belief says more about the psychoanalysists themselves than it does the people they are analysing. How can any human being possibly believe that there is any comparison between our personality at three years of age and our personality as an adult? I find it rather frightening that there are actually professionals in the field of psychology that appear to be of this belief. I am of the opinion that If you believe you cannot change, then you will not change. 

I will be arguing that there is no generally agreed upon definition of personality, so personality theories are just pseudoscience.

Personality is the characteristic sets of behaviours, cognitions, and emotional patterns that are formed from biological and environmental factors, and largely shared by all human beings.

Personality can also change over time, even from one moment to the next. It is not set in stone, and there are no big five personality traits which a human being can be judged on.
ZeusAres42raisin98EdgarPoint

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Lincoln-Douglas Debate

Voting Format: Formal Voting

Opponent: