frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should people under 10 be allowed to have cellphones.

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this because some people could think they should if it's to call mom and dad.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RemyBongoRemyBongo 2 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: No

I think that children under the age of ten should not have they're phones with them because at that age I think most children have trouble keeping track of things like that. I feel like at that age they don't really have a reason to call mom and dad for emergencies and such. Because usually when your under ten your not going out and about without your parents. If your at a friends house and want to go home, call them through the friend's parent's phone. And if they need to call 911, most houses have house phones (I believe all should) so they can contact 911 through that phone, or through somebody elses (stranger, parent, adult, ETC) 
    theinfectedmaster
  • @RemyBongo I feel like they should because it could be lifesaving if it's to call mom and dad.
  • @RemyBongo I'm not a big fan of age restrictions for anything.
  • @RemyBongo What if someone is assaulting them though.
  • PepsiguyPepsiguy 109 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: No

Kids are not mature enough to have phones until they are at least 11. We should ban the sale of smart phones to anyone under 11.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    In our day and age not having a smartphone is like not being able to use toilet paper. I remember back when I was a kid listening to the history teacher in the 5th grade and wondering, "How much of this is actually true, and how much is the state propaganda?" Had I had a smartphone I would have these questions answered in a heartbeat.

Regarding kids' "maturity"... I am typing this on my smartphone as I should be working, and I am over 30 years old. Should I also have my phone taken away? Irresponsible use of technology is hardly a valid reason to deprive someone of said technology. Recall that a similar argument is often made with respect to gun ownership rights: "people cannot be trusted with this". Yes they can. 

Regardless of any laws in whatever country I happen to live when I have a kid, my kid will have a smartphone before he/she can talk and wLk - just as I myself had a PC before I could talk and walk.
    Argument Topic: Response.

@MayCaesar

Kids should start out with a smaller cell phone that isn't smart. After all, all that you need with a phone is talking. Also you can search up on a computer or a tablet by the way. 

MayCaesar said:
    In our day and age not having a smartphone is like not being able to use toilet paper. I remember back when I was a kid listening to the history teacher in the 5th grade and wondering, "How much of this is actually true, and how much is the state propaganda?" Had I had a smartphone I would have these questions answered in a heartbeat.

(my notes in bold) There is something called delayed gratification, we practice it in school all the time. BTW you can't even use the phone while the teacher is teaching.

Regarding kids' "maturity"... I am typing this on my smartphone as I should be working, and I am over 30 years old. Should I also have my phone taken away? Irresponsible use of technology is hardly a valid reason to deprive someone of said technology. Recall that a similar argument is often made with respect to gun ownership rights: "people cannot be trusted with this". Yes they can. 

You are over 30, you have matured enough to know how to use a phone more responsibly than a 5 year old. Kids 10 and under are younger and more likely to use phones irresponsibly. 

Regardless of any laws in whatever country I happen to live when I have a kid, my kid will have a smartphone before he/she can talk and wLk - just as I myself had a PC before I could talk and walk.

Yes you can have a kid use your smartphone but you give him/her his consent and you teach him how to use it. I am not against letting kids use their parents' phones. I am against kids under 10 buying phones.

Argument Topic: Let em use "dumb" phones

@theinfectedmaster ;theinfectedmaster said:
    @RemyBongo I feel like they should because it could be lifesaving if it's to call mom and dad.
    You don't really need a very intelligent phone to call mom and dad, you just need a phone. I recommend kids be given feature phones instead.

BTW a feature phone is the opposite of a smart phone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_phone