frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Oxfam's Inclusive Language Guide

Debate Information

Has anyone read the charity Oxfam's 92-page document titled, The Inclusive Language Guide?
The charity said it was produced to help its employees use language that would, 
"support people in our sector who have to communicate in English to think about how the way they
write can subvert or inadvertently reinforce intersecting forms of inequality that we work to end."
I said it was produced to help. Help was my word, but according to this document a word to be avoided along with such words
as, mother, father, and elderly. Now, I am 77 years old, and if someone described me as an elderly person, that would be a perfectly reasonable
thing to say as far as I'm concerned. I would not be offended. It's not as though I was being called senile.
Lots of other words have been rejected by this document. It even started out by apologizing for using the English language,
It stated, "We further recognize that this guide has its origin in English, the language of a colonizing nation." 
Much of the vocabulary used in the report is just so much nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The word standing is to be avoided as it might
alienate those who are unable to stand. Does this mean I shouldn't say that I'm going for a walk as I might alienate those who cannot walk?
There are many more words that this document says should be avoided.
And to think I thought that Oxfam's purpose was to help feed and shelter those in need anywhere in the world!
I would be interested to hear what others think. Google Oxfam's Inclusive Language Guide.

Nomenclature

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @JoeKerr

You're right to point out the ridiculousness of this. Policing speech is a slippery slope.
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 695 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    Even though avoiding "mother" and "father" is completely unreasonable, they, at least, have an unsounded argument against their uses. My question is who would want to avoid the word "elderly"?!
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I think that inclisivity of language does matter when one wants to make precise statements, but it does not have to be explicit: languages are not rigid mathematical structure, and the words do not have to be always used with their literal meaning in mind. Take the following statement:

"For a man to be happy, he has to follow his calling".

It should be clear to everyone that this statement applies not only to men, but to women as well. Getting upset over the words "man" and "his" used here indicates one's inability to think about sentences as embeddings in a larger structure as opposed to isolated pieces of raw information. There are languages in which you would not use the word "man" here - in Russian, for instance, the most natural word to use would be "human" - but English is not one of them.

As for the English being a "language of a colonizing nation"... That is straight from a madhouse. It is like apologizing for selling bananas because Hitler liked bananas.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    nigger, kike, faggot, how do you like that Oxford?
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    Argument Topic: Wow thanks for posting this guide! So far the guide looks amazing! :)

I also recommend this shorter version, only 54 pages long.

Just look at the section on reproductive health

. "ANTI-ABORTION,
    ANTI-CHOICE
    The term ‘pro-life’ is emotive and
    misleading. Anti-abortion is accurate
    and avoids negative connotations
    that cause discrimination against
    people that need or choose to have
    abortions.
    WE AVOID
    pro-life"

I give the oxfams guide two thumbs up. :)

• JoeKerrJoeKerr 332 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I give the oxfams guide two thumbs up.

@Dreamer
    The only up I'll be giving Oxfam's guide is the middle finger!
    NomenclatureDee
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 332 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Language matters.

@Dreamer
    Yes, language matters, and because it matters I will have no truck with
    anything that tries to tell me what words I should use and what words I shouldn't use.
    You asked if I have read the guide. Of course I have read the guide. I started this debate.
    It's a guide to help snowflakes navigate their way through life by avoiding saying and doing things that most
    people consider normal. As for normal, that's one of the many words this Oxfam guide says you shouldn't use.
    If you think this Orwellian speak document will cause me to change the way I communicate with others, then dream on Dreamer!

Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

How do people like you navigate life without being  deeply wounded and offended every day ?
    JoeKerr
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Dreamer said:
    Language is just a communication tool. Any word can stand for anything, and as long as everyone involved understands what is being communicated, there is no issue to address.

Those who ascribe some divine powers to the language and believe that saying "man" instead of "person" is an offense... I have a language guide of my own on how to interact with them. The guide is an empty book. B)