frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should we risk losing control of our civilization?

Debate Information

Hello:

In an open letter, 1,100 Artificial Intelligence heavyweights, including Elon Musk, called for a moratorium on state-of-the-art AI development.  They ask:  Should we let machines flood our information channels with propaganda and untruth? Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization?

AI systems with human-competitive intelligence can pose profound risks to society and humanity, and could change the history of life on Earth. At some point, it may be important to get independent review before starting to train future systems.  The heavyweights who signed the letter agree. That point, they say, is now.

In debates about AI here on this site, most people think AI is just regular computing, only more powerful..

I suggested it was something else.  It appears I'm not alone.

https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

excon

John_C_87

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Looking at the history of the 20th century, I wonder what "control" these people have in mind... Humans are pretty good at controlling their way into devastating wars, famines and concentration camps. ;) Especially those in power.

Would an AGI do a worse job running, say, the IRS than humans do? Doubtful. And the idea that it would have some sort of nefarious goals seems fantastic to me. It is, ultimately, just a very advanced tool, and it is not going to "rebel" against its creators any more than a hammer can rebel against the blacksmith wielding it. Spreading misinformation? As opposed to what, Pravda and China Daily?

It seems to me that people once again are looking for some threat to oppose in order to feel a sense of purpose. In my personal experience ChatGPT and other similar tools have been nothing short of pure marvel and we are extremely fortunate to live at the time when virtually every week a game-changing breakthrough happens. While people are worrying about who is going to be the next president or how the ice caps will melt in a few thousand years, we are living through a revolution of the scope the world has not known since the invention of writing. Already someone who has mastered the art of prompting can get ChatGPT to write a piece of software it would otherwise require a well organized transnational corporation working hard for years and throwing million dollars at the problem. That one farmer nowadays can feed thousands of people is a miracle? Wait until one person with a laptop drinking latte at Starbucks can design a new cargo ship over lunch.

I am excited for the future, and I hope that enough people will appreciate the magnitude of what is happening to create a powerful counter-force inhibiting these actors' attempts to slow down the progress.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    MayCaesar said:

And the idea that it would have some sort of nefarious goals seems fantastic to me. It is, ultimately, just a very advanced tool, and it is not going to "rebel" against its creators
    Hello May:

Thanks for your contribution..  I agree with you that they're not gonna organize and decide to rebel.  In fact, they're not gonna decide anything..  They're just going to follow their program assuming their program is to fix the software it comes across.  If it did, it certainly COULD, and probably WOULD find that you and I have defective software that needs fixing.

excon
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    @MayCaesar
    Would an AGI do a worse job running, say, the IRS than humans do? Doubtful. And the idea that it would have some sort of nefarious goals seems fantastic to me. It is, ultimately, just a very advanced tool, and it is not going to "rebel" against its creators any more than a hammer can rebel against the blacksmith wielding it. Spreading misinformation? As opposed to what, Pravda and China Daily?

The problem here is we the people would need to know and understand programming and be able to see and inspect all levels of code the IRS would be using to make any determination. MayCaesar on a personal note had you ever been member by due of a blacksmith guild?