frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Abortion Be Illegal in the US?

Debate Information

Hi... lets argue :)

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ZenLiZenLi 4 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    Argument Topic: No

Is abortion immoral? Maybe. Should it be illegal? I don't think so.

For my purposes, I'm going to consider the fetus to be alive and human because I think this is the strongest case for abortion being illegal. The worst outcome of abortion is the loss of a human being. Personally, I think this is a very understandable position. So let's assume this.
    In contrast to my point, the cost of making abortion illegal comes from the physical, emotional, and financial cost that pregnant women would be legally required to bear as a result. Being pregnant even in this day and age can be deadly. The United States has the highest rates of death during childbirth compared to any other developed country. This is more so the case for women of color and lower socioeconomic status. This is because it takes costs money the medical cost of delivering a baby safely. The average cost is about $2,800 if you have insurance, and the cost is a little higher if you need a cesarean. Sources: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64981965 https://www.forbes.com/advisor/health-insurance/average-childbirth-cost/
    It may be cold for me to equate the cost of a few thousand bucks to the cost of a human life, but it is the reality that outlawing abortion will effectively require women to pay this money out of their own pocket, in a country that doesn't even mandate paid maternity leave. To many people that amount of money can literally be the difference between dying from childbirth and paying the rent. 
    I think this analogy is appropriate: there is a man on your doorstep that will die if you do not provide him with food and shelter for 9 months. Is it morally good to take him in and save his life? Definitely. Should you help him even if it means you'll struggle to feed yourself and possibly die in the process? Maybe, maybe not. Now let's say that there is a man on your neighbor's doorstep and only they can take the man in. Should they be required, legally, to take them into their home at the cost of their physical and mental health, their finances, and their labor? I don't think so. Would it be nice if they chose to help regardless? Maybe. Would it make the situation better if the government compensated the nice samaritan who wants to do such a deed? Yeah. However, that's not the point. Even if the government was going to compensate a citizen for it, they cannot legally force them to house soldiers or anyone else for that matter in one's private home. We hated it so much when the British did it to us that we complained about it in the Declaration of Independence. 
    If you believe that this analogy is useless, and a person should be obligated to carry a child from conception, that the costs I have previously mentioned are inconsequential to the cost of human life, then this has implications for other situations in the law where an individual's interests can be sacrificed for another person's life. If a person was dying and in desperate need of an organ transplant, and you happen to be compatible, would you be willing to donate an organ for them? It will probably take a toll on your health even though it won't kill you, but again, giving birth to a human being takes a toll on the body as well. If you believe you would donate your organs, good for you. I believe you are a kind and compassionate person. However, if you weren't okay with it, should the government legally require you to go through with the transplant because it is required to save a life? Legally, we can't even take body parts out of a dead person unless we get consent from the individual or their family. Why should it then be okay for us to require women to go through a painful and dangerous physical ordeal to deliver a baby?
    If there was a situation where I would change my opinion that abortion should be legal, it would have to be when the problems I presented about health costs and financial costs are addressed. I am aware that there are pro-life clinics in the US that rely on donations to provide services to women who want a pro-life option but am not certain about these organizations' efficacy or capacity to take tackle the situation if abortion was to be banned completely. Even if such concerns were to be taken care of by perhaps a better healthcare system it still wouldn't change the fact that being pregnant is a painful ordeal.
    John_C_87
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    It should not just be legal. It should be mandatory. Americans should under no circumstances be spreading their genes.
    Dee
  • ZenLiZenLi 4 Pts   -  
    Nomenclature
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Abortion Should Be Legal Everywhere

Here is a list of countries where abortion is illegal and countries where it is legal:

**Illegal**

* Andorra
    * Malta
    * El Salvador
    * Honduras
    * Nicaragua
    * Senegal
    * Egypt
    * The Philippines
    * Laos
    * Somalia
    * Sudan
    * Yemen
    * Afghanistan

**Legal**

* Most countries in Europe
    * Most countries in North America
    * Most countries in South America
    * Most countries in Asia
    * Most countries in Africa

However, there are some exceptions. For example, abortion is only legal in certain circumstances in Poland and Malta. And in some countries, such as the United States, the legality of abortion depends on the state.

The countries where abortion is illegal tend to be more conservative and religious than the countries where it is legal. They also tend to have higher rates of poverty and maternal mortality.

There are a few reasons why abortion might be illegal in these countries. One reason is that these countries tend to have a strong belief in the sanctity of life. They believe that life begins at conception, and that abortion is therefore murder. Another reason is that these countries tend to have a strong tradition of paternalism. They believe that the government should protect women and children, and that abortion is therefore a threat to women and children. Finally, these countries tend to have a strong distrust of women. They believe that women are not capable of making their own decisions about their bodies, and that abortion should therefore be illegal.

The consequences of making abortion illegal are significant. Women who have unwanted pregnancies are more likely to experience poverty, domestic violence, and mental health problems. They are also more likely to die in childbirth. In addition, illegal abortion can lead to the deaths of women who are trying to terminate their pregnancies unsafely.

There are a number of things that can be done to reduce the number of illegal abortions. One is to improve access to contraception. Another is to provide education about sexual and reproductive health. Finally, it is important to change the attitudes that lead to the criminalization of abortion.
  • Abortion does not need to be proven by a targeted grievance as illegal medical invasion of privacy is illegal in America as well as confessions to crimes which are made in deceitful ways against the people. 

Technically” Abortion is not illegal it is when it is written as a "medical treatment" or "law" it becomes illegal. The crime is / was in whole truth perjury. The perjury is more effective as a crime and profitable due to malpractice of law.

• @JulesKorngold
    Here is a list of countries where abortion is illegal and countries where it is legal:
    Smoke and mirros, show me what countries where perjury is legal?
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited March 2023
    @Nomenclature
    It should not just be legal. It should be mandatory. Americans should under no circumstances be spreading their genes.

Falsifying official documents and law should be mandatory and legal?

• @ZenLi

Hello, let’s not and say we did....
    Abortion is a lie, and it is "perjury" that is illegal. Is perjury a crime in your State? Is perjury a crime in your country? In 2000 medical privacy laws also added to the list of crimes created by the applications people pick for the word abortion. The common defense towards the general welfare as constitutional right is female-specific amputation this describes a process that is neither lie or invasive to legal and patient privacy.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    No it shouldn't , granting rights to the unborn while denying a right of bodily autonomy to a born  citizen is wrong on so many levels
  • There has never been a Medical pregnancy abortion in the United States of America or on a American women, any and all teminations of birth have been female-specific amputations. The Constitutional argument never made by women on her own behalf or as a common defense to the general welfare of "all people" is over the crimes of both perjury or murder. A women may be involved in a lethal force which terminates the youngest of human lives it does not mean as a united state all women enter this use of force intentionally or with full control.

• granting rights to the unborn while denying a right of bodily autonomy to a born  citizen is wrong on so many levels

The whole truth in what you write is arguably that women and those like yourself have failed to hold liberty for all women and men as a constitutional right. The reason for this is that the blocking of abortion by constitutional principles was believed to be created by the United States American Constitution itself and not the women and lawyer presenting a representation of grievance before it. Thank you for openly admitting you do know and understand the child is not a citizen and the mother is a citizen of a nation, as this describes the mother as a United States Constitutional ambassador by law of nature.

• We the people of United State Consitutional Right petition open grievance before the Armed Services for Liberty not legality over the malpractice of law concerning pregnancy abortion. Please try to remember that.

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1125 Pts   -  
    @ZenLi

The problem with your analogy is that you didnt play a role in the man being dependent on you.
    It would be like playing funny prank, accidently blowing up the mans house and then refusing to assist him.

Also instead of just refusing to give him food and water, he actually had automatically found a way to tap into your reasources and you actively killed him for it.  
  • @MichaelElpers
    The problem with your analogy is that you didnt play a role in the man being dependent on you.

It is not ZenLi but rather the principles of pregnancy abortion due to legalities of how it violates both male and female privacy on two levels. MichaelElpers there are several states of the union which are failing to make a connection to established justice not one.