frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is banning books a good thing to do? If not, WHY do some groups think it is?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited June 2023
    What I think the issue here is is that public schools are funded by taxpayers' money. As a taxpayer, I expect my money to go towards children learning something useful for their future. As such, I do not even understand why American schools have all those manga, fantasy books, "queer study introduction" books... The Russian education has a lot of issues (way more than the American education, I would argue), but one thing they have (had; I am hearing that it is changing gradually) is that school libraries only contain the books used in actual courses, such as math books, history books and so on. You want to read something else? Cool, go to a book store or Amazon and buy something you like. The school is there to teach you science, literature and the like, not to tell you what the best sex position is.

A private school can do whatever it wants. They want to teach kids that "men can menstruate" and offer them books claiming that in the library? Go right ahead. Let the schools compete, and see if the schools teaching children this crap attract more private funds than the schools teaching children proper biology.

Want to have the best of both worlds and not deal with this problem? Solution is simple: make all schools private and get the government out of education.
    John_C_87
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:

What I think the issue here is is that public schools are funded by taxpayers' money. As a taxpayer, I expect my money to go towards children learning something useful for their future.

Solution is simple: make all schools private and get the government out of education.

Hello May:

Nahhh...  I remember a time in our nations history, when rabid racists didn't want their taxpayer money to go to educating black children.  They said allowing black children to attend a white school was a communist plot..  In fact, if you get your way, Brown v Board of Education will NEVER be taught in school.. 

Public schools are the only bulwark between rabid fascism and the truth..

excon
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @jack

You are very welcome to explain to me what events taking place in one country 70 years ago have to do with my point about taxpayers' money going towards useful education, as opposed to ideological nonsense or random fantasy books. You are also welcome to explain how not teaching kids that ideological nonsense and random fantasy books inevitably results in "rabid fascism".
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    @jack

You are very welcome to explain to me what events taking place in one country 70 years ago have to do with my point about taxpayers' money going towards useful education,
    Hello May:

I dunno..  The mention of getting rid of public schools MIGHT have been it.   It was a very eventful time in the US, and you remember NOTHING about it???  Du*de!!

excon

John_C_87
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited June 2023
    In order to hold a constitutional right in connection with the self-evident truth we the people must be willing and able to see and tell a truth. There are no educational schools in America the public insitutions are Job training work camps. Everything about them in American and globally for the most part is about the world of human resorse managment by career not learning, specialized learning and this fact has been proven to be dangerous. People have emotional break downs and kill for job opritunities as connections that take years to make relate to stress and competative outcomes.

Be honest, it is our honesty which accumulates to substantial change even in the smallest way it is in a practical, we fail, we learn the each and many times we try.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited June 2023
    @jack

I was not living in the US when those events were happening, so I cannot remember it metaphysically. That said, I am familiar with the history, which is why I asked you a number of clarifying questions - which you, as is your habit, ignored. It is up to you to justify the connection you are making between privatization of education and racist governmental policies.

This is a dialogue, not a lesson. Please address the content of my comments as I do yours. Unless you find it difficult to follow them... In that case, you could ask ChatGPT to simplify the content for you.
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    jack, the white hating racist wrote.   Nahhh...  I remember a time in our nations history, when rabid racists didn't want their taxpayer money to go to educating black children.  They said allowing black children to attend a white school was a communist plot..

Well, let us look at that.      The explanation for why black African children were banned from white US schools, was probably because those whites in the southern US states who had long had an association with Africans, knew that most of them were extremely violent, and they had had very low intelligence.     African children were educated in black only schools which were poorly funded, where educational resources were scarce, and where academic attainment was low.     The whites knew that allowing African children to attend white schools was a waste of scarce public money and would do little to help African children to climb the ladder of success.   The whites knew that most African children were never going to attain upward mobility through education, because most of them were just not smart enough.    In addition, allowing African children access to white schools would endanger white children because of the well appreciated violent tendencies of black students.        Of course, there were African children who were smart and who were not genetically prone to very violet behaviour, But sadly, these gifted African children were banned from white schools as well, because there are right wing people who are as du-mb as jack.     Du-mb people think entirely in black and white, and 50 shades of grey do not exist within the thinking of such du-mb people.    So sadly, du-mb white people who have absolutist mindsets like jack, banned all black children, even those who showed real talent and promise, from attending white schools.    .All African children were tarred with the same brush by these people.   .     All African children were to be regarded as du-mb and violent.   

Now contrast right wing absolutist thinking with left wing absolutist thinking.    They are an identical way of thinking.  All that differs is the ideology.       People from the left who think in absolutes think that all races are equal in every way.      They think that all black people are no more violent than whites, and they have exactly the same IQ spread among their populations as whites, or for that matter, any other race at all.     Got it now?     People on the right who are du-mb because they think entirely in absolutes, think that all black people are violent and du-mb.    People on the Left who are du-mb because they think in absolutes, think that all races are equal in every possible way.    Both groups of du-mb people are wrong.

During the early part of the 20th century there was probably not a psychologist around who did not genuinely think that the 15 point gap in IQ scores between whites and blacks was caused entirely by a lack of educational opportunity, as well as possibly a lack of nutrition.       They, along with black civil rights leaders convinced the Federal US government to desegregate Us public schools.    In addition, US state and federal governments were also lobbied to fund special educational programs directed at African children, where enthusiastic quality teachers were assigned to black majority classrooms, where nourishing food was distributed to African children in order to mitigate the belief that poor nutrition was another cause for the 15 point gap in IQ levels.  

With the exception that there did indeed exist African children with relatively high IQ's who could attain academic success, these programs, and the desegregation of US schools, was a total failure.       Sad though this fact may be, the problem with most African children is their low IQ.       Education can raise IQ levels a few points, but no amount of education can make a basically dumb person into a mensa.      The differences in IQ's among different races seems to be geared to the length of a races civilization.      The longer the civilisation lasts, the more complex it gets, the more that that civilisation values intelligence through skill specialization.  .    Civilisations need intelligent people while tribal societies at the lowest level of human existence do not.     There is growing evidence that African people in western societies are slowly gaining IQ as succeeding generations find themselves immersed in a technologically advanced society, where brains are needed, regardless of skin colour.      It may take African people a hundred or more years of education to "close the gap."     But at the moment, that gap does exist, and it is the most reasonable explanation for low African educational attainment and their endemic social dysfunction.  
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited June 2023
    Bogan said:
    jack, the white hating racist wrote.   Nahhh... 

Bogan, the racist MF wrote:  The explanation for why black African children were banned from white US schools, was probably because those whites in the southern US states who had long had an association with Africans, knew that most of them were extremely violent, and they had had very low intelligence.   
    Hello B:

Does your hatred for black people extend to Jews??  I don't see why it wouldn't..

excon
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    excon wrote   Does your hatred for black people extend to Jews??  I don't see why it wouldn't..

According to IQ testing, Jews are the most intelligent race.     Saying that, I guess that makes me a Jewish supremacist?
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited June 2023
    Bogan said:

According to IQ testing, Jews are the most intelligent race.     Saying that, I guess that makes me a Jewish supremacist?
    Hello B:

Firstly, I'm a Jew.  @JulesKorngold is a Jew.  We get no such affinity from you.

Secondly, the Pew Research Center survey show that Jews are among the most consistently liberal and Democratic groups in the U.S. population. Seven-in-ten Jewish adults identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, and half describe their political views as liberal.

This general inclination toward the Democratic Party and liberal values goes hand-in-hand with disapproval of former Republican President Donald Trump.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/u-s-jews-political-views/

So, you love the Jews even though we're overwhelmingly liberal???  Du*de!

excon

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    It is hard to hide behind the argument that "all book banning is wrong" when you don't have to acknowledge what the specific content is being discussed.  Some content is not appropriate for grade school kids - like sexually explicit content or pro-pedophile messaging.  The following are short clips of parents reading some of these passages from school board meetings.  Enjoy @Jack :

https://twitter.com/tarynfenske/status/1633499837659516928?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TuRpk2NeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gRwhbjKl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1_Ju8yD3A

• BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    @jack

To jack/excon.     Normally, I would not bother replying to you because I think that you are a troll and a mo-ron, but your last post left you wide open to display your hypocrisy, and it was too good to not reply to.  

The most interesting aspect of your reply was that you did not disagree with my assessment that Jews are the most intelligent race?     You even implied that you agree that Jews are the most intelligent race by bragging about how most of these intelligent Jews vote Democrat?     If you agree with me that Jews are the most intelligent race, that means you are just as big a racist as I am.     Welcome to the club.   And, according to leftist ideology, you are a far right, Ku Klux Klan lovin’,  Nazi Jew.

• jackjack 458 Pts   -  
    Bogan said:

you are a far right, Ku Klux Klan lovin’,  Nazi Jew.
    Hello B:

H'mmm.. Whaddya know about that? 

excon