frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should America Supply Ukraine With Cluster Bombs?

Debate Information

Cluster bombs are banned by the United Nations because they are indiscriminate weapons that cause widespread civilian casualties. Cluster bombs are munitions that release a large number of smaller bomblets or submunitions over a wide area. These submunitions can fail to explode on impact, leaving them as a deadly hazard long after the conflict has ended.

The Convention on Cluster Munitions, which was adopted in 2008 and entered into force in 2010, prohibits the use, production, transfer, and stockpiling of cluster bombs. The convention also requires state parties to clear and destroy all cluster munitions that they possess, and to provide assistance to victims of cluster munitions.

There are a number of reasons why cluster bombs are considered to be indiscriminate weapons. First, cluster bombs are often dropped from aircraft, which means that they cannot be precisely targeted. This can lead to civilian casualties, even when the bombs are used in a military conflict.

Second, cluster bombs can have a long lifespan. The submunitions from a cluster bomb can remain undetonated for many years after the conflict has ended. This means that they can pose a deadly hazard to civilians, even in areas that are no longer considered to be war zones.

Third, cluster bombs can be difficult to clear and destroy. The submunitions from a cluster bomb can be scattered over a wide area, making it difficult to find and remove them all. This can leave a legacy of landmines and other explosive remnants of war that can continue to kill and maim civilians for many years after the conflict has ended.

The Convention on Cluster Munitions is an important step towards banning these indiscriminate weapons. However, not all countries have signed or ratified the convention. The United States, Russia, and China are among the countries that have not yet joined the convention.

Despite the fact that cluster bombs are banned by the United Nations, they continue to be used in conflicts around the world. In 2021, the Cluster Munition Coalition documented the use of cluster bombs in at least 20 countries.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -   edited July 2023
    Argument Topic: Does Ukraine Need Cluster Bombs?

President Joe Biden defended his decision to send Ukraine controversial and deadly cluster munitions, explaining it was because Kyiv was "running out of ammunition".  White House national security advisor Jake Sullivan acknowledged on Friday that cluster munitions do pose a risk to civilians but said the danger to their lives would be higher if Kyiv did not have enough weapons to fight off Russia's troops.
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: War Crime?

Last year, WH Press Secretary Jen Psaki called the use of cluster bombs a “war crime.”
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    "Moderation in war is imbecility".     _Lord Mcaulay, 1831.

I have no idea where this idea ever came from that cluster bombs are somehow naughty?     They are just another weapon which civilised men use to slaughter their fellow human beings in a civilised way.    The Eurotrash even ban land mines.    Reality check.    If it had not been for anti tank mines, Ukraine would probably have been over run in the first week.        Interestingly, the anti tank mines that both the Russians and Ukrainians use are copies of the 70 year old Wehrmacht Teller mines.     Some old weapons just keep on giving.    Virtue signaling has no place on a battlefield, especially when a people are fighting for their national survival.   The Russians use cluster bombs, they drop them on Ukrainian cities, which is a war crime.      When you are fighting an enemy like the Russians, who deliberately drop cluster bombs on cities, use vacuum bombs on civilians, deliberately target apartment blocks, maternity hospitals, schools, and tie up unarmed civilians and shoot them, then playing dirty is appropriate.

If the Biden administration and the Eurotrash had given the Ukrainians what they begged for, 500 days ago, the Ukrainians would probably having a victory march in Red Square, right now.  

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    I have never understood the idea behind banning certain types of weaponry use in a war while allowing other types. A war, by definition, is a mass murder committed by a large number of people - you are okay with gunning a million people, but not okay with doing it in a particularly efficient way (which, for instance, cluster bombs provide)?

As I see it, Russia has invaded Ukraine illegally according to the same international law that, for some bizarre reason, outlaws cluster bombs. If Russia has invaded Ukraine illegally and is bombing the hell out of the country daily, then virtually any weapon that can contain it is a fair play. Heck, nuke Kremlin for all I care, as long as you can assure that a nuclear retaliation is not going to take place.

I have family in Moscow, so no, I am not just an Internet theoretician. I just do not understand the logic behind this type of laws, is all.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @Bogan ;If the Biden administration and the Eurotrash had given the Ukrainians what they begged for, 500 days ago, the Ukrainians would probably having a victory march in Red Square, right now.  

Your got to realize that whatever piano dik player does then Putin is going to do to him back 10 times over. Give them cluster bombs and the Bolshies are going to drop cluster cluster bombs an so on. All ready piano mans ground defence is crumbling and how many nukes does he have like zero. And we aren't going to send any nukes over there are we. So all Putin is doing is playing a round like a cat with a mice. And when the mice has had enough and Putin thinks its time then he will just jump on it no problems. End of war and where I work we knock off thousands of chickens. And I bet you this that were going to have to change the labels on the chicken Kiev to Chicken Bolshie.

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Help!!

Can someone translate Barnardot's word salad into English?
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -   edited July 2023
    @JulesKorngold ;Can someone translate Barnardot's word salad into English?

Not every one knows this but Zelensky used to play the piano with his doolie on TV and with another man. So thats why I call him piano man just like Trump used to call Ill Rocket man. And the reason I call the Russians Bolshies is that that is what they were called when Lennon took over over there. And strictly speaking you did pick me up on the chicken Kiev bit because it will be more logical to call it chicken Putingrad. And what I was explaining was that I work in a chicken factory but some words went missing because this site is so slow. But there is a special section that stuffs breasts with garlic and butter and then crumbs it then it goes straight out to the stores. So imagine hoing down on chicken Putingrad in a few months time. And what I was doing with the cat and mouse bit was what we call personify because I was just using it as a way of showing what Putin is doing to Piana Man. Putin can squish Ukraine tomorrow if he wants to but hes just playing the game and getting others involved then he will pounce. Then Bingo hes caught the lot. So you see Putin is real good at playing the politics game where as Zelenski is only good at playing the piano with his doolie.