frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is education a human right?

Debate Information

I'm curious to know what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Argument Topic: Yes I think it is a human right.

I believe education and learning is meant for all people not just people of a certain class. I think it's terrible during the ancient and medieval times only very wealthy people could afford an education.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1126 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

No.  Freedom and liberty to pursue an education is, but if education as a service is a right that means you can force others to provide it.

So should I be able to go up to you and demand you teach me how to be a doctor as would be my right?
    jackZeusAres42theinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    I believe education and learning is meant for all people not just people of a certain class. I think it's terrible during the ancient and medieval times only very wealthy people could afford an education.
    I am sorry, but this is quite wrong. Everyone received an incredible amount of education, including many pieces of knowledge that almost no one nowadays has, such as how to operate a windmill or how to ride a horse. Everyone has the right to learn things from someone willing to teach them to them, according to virtually any serious moral system.

What you seem to be talking about is a very specific kind of education, one that occurs in a highly organized manner, and one that requires significant economical investment. That "significant economical investment" is precisely what makes it impossible to declare it a right. Just like you do not have the right to walk inside a grocery store, pick something up from the shelf and walk away without paying - you do not have the right to walk inside an educational facility, learn something from the teacher, have a nice lunch after class, and walk away without paying.

I am not sure why people have a hard time with this concept: that in order to acquire a good, you have to pay the price. They do not have a hard time with it in most other contexts. But when it comes to education, healthcare and housing, suddenly regular economical considerations fly out the window... Strange that economics is seen as very important when it comes to things like buying alcohol or sex toys, but with the most important things such as cancer treatment the woo-woo thinking takes precedence. I would think that sex toys being declared a right would be far less damaging to a society than education or housing being declared a right.
    theinfectedmaster
  • @theinfectedmaster

Education is a right granted by law of nature to life. This basic concept of right or wrong is why we have virus that kill along with many other complex social issues.

• just_sayinjust_sayin 963 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

No.  Freedom and liberty to pursue an education is, but if education as a service is a right that means you can force others to provide it.

So should I be able to go up to you and demand you teach me how to be a doctor as would be my right?
    I agree with Michael.  No one has a right to your time and labor. That would be a violation of your personal rights as it takes away your right to determine your own actions and obligates you to mandated work you did not agree to do.   People have freedom to pursue an education, but you don't have a right to force someone to educate you.
    ZeusAres42
  • So should I be able to go up to you and demand you teach me how to be a doctor as would be my right?
    A medical license ...can you deman a state medical license from anyone? 
  • @MayCaesar Research will tell you that you're wrong about this.
    @theinfectedmaster

Your comment has totally convinced me; I concede the argument.
    ZeusAres42
    @theinfectedmaster

Youve provided no argument to this debate, just that you believe everyone should be able to access education.

Well I too wish everyone to have yachts, fairys, and unicorns but that doesnt mean it should be a right.

I think youre trying to help your fellow man here, but I also think youre failing to see implications of such action becoming a right.
    A right is something that everyone must have at all costs. So what for example happens if we run out of funds to support this vision?
    The 2nd amendment for example allows one to own a firearm, not a right to have one. They must purchase with their own money.  You cannot have rights that require money or services from others.
  • @MichaelElpers The thing is that education is important, especially for language development because we need to have a developed enough vocabulary to be able to speak to people, and it would be impossible to do so without education. That's why I think education is a human right.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @MichaelElpers @theinfectedmaster ;Youve provided no argument to this debate, just that you believe everyone should be able to access education.

I quite agree and I think it is easy for people to get court in the trap of accepting some things as a given. In a debate contest you would totally lose the debate for not backing up what you believe. 

Also it is an assumption that there is such a thing as human rights because of coarse there is no such thing. Humans have no more rights than the sun has a right to shine. So of coarse the answer is of coarse that education is not a human right any more or less than any thing else is a human right.

theinfectedmaster
    @theinfectedmaster

You still seem to have a misconception that just because something is important enough to people or society it should be a human right.

But again this doesnt not naddress that rights cannot require something from individuals other than yourself.
    I dont need you to have free speech or own a firearm.
    Unless its self service, an educational right creates teacher slaves if the supply doesnt meet demand.

theinfectedmaster
  • @Barnardot Yes all humans have rights.
    I have a right for a private helicopter: I really need it, I have dreamed of it since early childhood. Now, where is it?! Hurry up, lazy bastards! Give me what is mine by right!
  • I dont need you to have free speech or own a firearm.
    I would argue that ...you do need others to hold a united state of freedom of speech, meaning as fact free in having no cost or asigned value is held the purpose of a particular condition.  
    theinfectedmaster
  • I have a right for a private helicopter: I really need it, I have dreamed of it since early childhood. Now, where is it?! Hurry up, lazy bastards! Give me what is mine by right!
    E-mail me your address I will send you a helicopter for the holiday's.

Human rights are a lesser condition in a democratic sense than a united human condition of right. Learning is a law of nature making an understanding, it is a human right to be eaten by a shark. The shark is learning by law of nature that humans are food just as they the sharks learn they are food as well, and an unconditional human right is shared by the law of nature between both. Freedom of speech is a right which can be held by a majority within a single condition directed by cost, a united state shared by all humans the ultimate democratic majority not one person the lesser democratic majority. The opposite takes place when multiple different rights are assumed as a liberty covering many conditions of humanity for one human only.

theinfectedmaster