frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is swearing wrong?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this. The f word disgusts me.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Argument Topic: I would say yes.

I feel it's wrong to such harmful words. I especially can't stand the f word because it disgusts me a lot
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    swearing, in general, is a form of expressing anger in a non-violent way. However, in todays society, especially among the teen det it has fallen into everyday usage; a part of their life style. I have known many people who can hardly speak a complete paragraph without a half a dozen swear words. It shows low self esteem, and low intellect, yet it is part of their whole life genre. @theinfectedmaster
  • @maxx I avoided swearing as much as I could l as a teenager.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited September 2023

Is swearing wrong?

Hello the:

Fuk no.  And, I ain't mad either..

excon
    theinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -   edited September 2023
    Bloody swearing is not motherfucking wrong, you sick cunt. ;)

On a serious note, human language embeds a lot of cultural elements and emotions, and certain patterns are observed across all languages. In every single culture and in every single language it is expected that more intelligent and cultural individuals are going to use more sophisticated language and curse less. I believe that one who is serious about coming across as such a person should respect that and adjust their language properly.

I never ever curse when talking to others, except when a swear word is a feature I specifically want to communicate. I will not say "What the is this?" when "What is this?" works just fine. But I can, when dining in a fine restaurant and running into a poorly prepared dish, say, "Fuuuuck meee", clearly imitating Gordon Ramsey.

Language is a powerful tool, and pretending that words are just sounds is like saying that numbers are just symbols on a piece of paper. If you want to compliment someone's looks, you can say, "I like your looks", or "You're kinda cute", or "Hey, sweetie" - but good luck getting the person to feel good upon hearing this. On the other hand, if you say, "You are so stunningly beautiful, my heart rate just doubled" - that will have a very strong effect on the person. You have a lot of control over what exactly you communicate and how it is going to be taken - but if you use language carelessly and throw around strong words without really meaning it, you relinquish this control. And that will set you back in life significantly.
    theinfectedmaster
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    one only has to look at todays culture and generation; (yes, all generations swear) however and especially in the black community in which rap songs are very prevalent; where they embellish and endorse such language ; in which many, including white teens and children follow. To them it is "see how low and dirty one can get attitude" They dress in rags that would put a hippy of the 60s to shame. It is very hard to educate and change these people views, when they began at an age where they haven't even reached puberty yet. Peer pressure and the society that they are growing up in almost demands them to follow along blindly. @MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Absolutely: the language and music one is brought up hearing or, at least, considering good has a profound impact on the development of one's personality. My parents happened to be linguists with tremendous respect for high language and reading sophisticated books; I went through a musical school where I played classic piano, and the music I would typically hear at home was classical music or instrumental jazz. This has influenced significantly the ideals I hold in my head: say, when I think about an ideal relationship, I think of something like romantic walks under moonlight exchanging sweet words. It is not the image of "shacking up" in some rusty barn in a lousy neighborhood after smoking pot, which is what rap generally promotes. Challenging societal ideals is what everyone should do; showing the middle finger to the society and doing the most provocative anti-social things in order to feel like a rebel is not.
  • @theinfectedmaster

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this. The f word disgusts me.
    Which F word Fornicate?
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    i agree and even though most all generations have their rebellious side; it seems that the present one is out of bounds with it. What i think is the main difference is a complete lack of morals; it is ok to cuss, and degrade women, or to be degraded by others; its ok to steal, to talk about murder. Many  would probably turn on their so called friends if they felt it would benefit them. I have yet to see any rap artists that can actually play an actuall musical instrument. @MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -   edited September 2023
    @maxx

Indeed, whenever rebelling against something, you also have to rebel for something. Simply wanting to reject the current norms and destabilize the existing institutions is not enough - in fact, destruction without creation of something in its place is likely to lead to a much worse state of affairs than the status quo, pretty much, no matter what the status quo is.

People who listen to rap songs likely never ask themselves, "What would the world in which the values promoted by these songs become the norm would look like?" Or even, "When will my life be 10 years from now if I keep feeding these values into my brain?" They just follow whatever people around them follow, because at the moment it is "cool".

Language has all these values embedded in it. Compare two ways to refer to a woman:
    1. "Yo, b1tch, wassup?"
    2. "Greetings, my lady. How is this beautiful evening treating you?"
    It is not just that the first attribution is rude - it clearly establishes the mode of the following interaction, clearly tells the man himself how he is to see the woman in front of him. Who is going to get further in life, to have better relationships with people, to have more business opportunities and so on - the person who chooses the first line, or the second one?

Someone who listens to "gang rap" in their car every day does far more than just kill their musical taste. They are literally destroying their brain by contaminating it with the lowest of the low ideas and values, and those ideas and values are put in the nest very deep in their psyche and over time breed and destroy them.
    maxx
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @jack ;Hello the: Fuk no.  And, I ain't mad either..excon
    Well I reckon that any tard ameba with half a brain would have figured out that thats what your post would be as if it was deliberate bate any way. Any way Im not complaining because its totally cool any way but just saying thats all.
    theinfectedmaster
    @MayCaesar Well your totally right because a 100 years ago it was swearing to say womans ankle and they would have slammed you in the loony bin for saying such a vulger profanity. fast forward to today and the f word is pretty well lassy fair now so what we have to consider now is what are the next real mean swear words going to be.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  

Is swearing wrong?

Hello the:

Nahh.  Not if you do it Spanish.   Telling your best friend to chinga-tu-madre, is a very complimentary thing to tell him.

excon
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    Barnardot said:
    @jack ;Hello the: Fuk no.  And, I ain't mad either..excon
    Well I reckon that any tard ameba with half a brain would have figured out that thats what your post would be

Hello B:

Really??  I thought I was fooling people.

excon
  • @John_C_87 The f word that means if you want to have sex with someone.
    @jack ;Really??  I thought I was fooling people.

I should elaborate a bit because my reasoning is that if a tard ameba with half a brain can work it out then it is reasonable to sirmize that any living thing with a brain any better than that would have worked it out even people like @Dee and @Bogan but only just though.

@theinfectedmaster ;The f word that means if you want to have sex with someone.

Well thats where I must of gone wrong then. Because I said f off to an ugly fat woman at the night club last week then she came all over me like a rash and wouldn't leave me a lone all night because I kept on using the f word at her. Now I know.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

A bible thumping uneducated chicken plucker like you actually is a fine example of how dismally the American education system has failed.

Reason I'm top of the pile on the debate table here is because I'm the best you ,Maxx, Bogan are all in the bottom tier which is where American dummies feel most at  home.

BTW did your thieving slut of a girlfriend pay her debts of yet ?

• @theinfectedmaster

Thank you for the reply...fornicating is a f word that implies / means a male and female want to have sex with each other. I understand though you are talking about the degrees of vulgarity. If we dissect the idea of the slang cures word which also starts with a f as a liberty it describes a sexual event with less emotional connection. People looking for self-gratification through acts of aggressive sexual conduct and by United State as First Amendment can be also prosecuted as a crime. As the word can be by its own freedom be self-incriminating to the bearer in a judicial process. This issue is complicated in America using legal practice to break a state of the union made in the United State Constitutional Amendment as a common defense.

• @Dee

A bible thumping uneducated chicken plucker like you actually is a fine example of how dismally the American education system has failed.

This is a prime example of why the state of the union made between equality of all men should have never been politically influenced by the desires of and for women. " All men are created equal by their creator." " All women are created equal by their creator", Presadera, as this is a United States Constitutional right so can be held above the law as a cap to legal prejudice against the people who hold lesser understanding of the miss deeds of the people. Often people feel they are superior in intelligence to others and try to seek profit off that idea.