frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

1st world countries should shut down all coal plants.

Debate Information

Position: For
I'm tired of people bringing up zombie arguments about climate change in with a long list of other topics. Let's debate it out right now. The developed world or first world countries should shut down all coal power plants. Nations including United States, Australia, France, Germany, Britain, Canada, and more.

""It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land.""  IPCC

There is a 97% scientific consensus on climate change. There is now 9 studies to prove this consensus see image below:

Nine consensus studies

Temperatures keep rising, we are in the middle of a sixth mass extinction, ocean acidification is increasing, more extreme weather events,  glaciers are melting, sea levels are rising, and many more signs. Coal power plants are economically infeasible let alone the air pollution and the c02 added to the atmosphere. Renewables are often the cheapest energy source.

"the direct effects of air pollution itself cost the US over $600 billion per year." Also, 50,000 premature deaths.

"There is increasing evidence that the health benefits are immediate and regional." Steven Novella on August 31, 2022

I find these multi-subject threads exhausting. Why would we debate every political talking point in a single thread? This just becomes a confusing mess. Even just one subject can quickly balloon out of control if we were to talk about say 10 subtopics related to climate change at once polar bear numbers dwindling, wildfires made worse, longer more intense, and more frequent heatwaves.
ZeusAres42
  1. Live Poll

Shut down all coal plants in 1st world?

4 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
61%
Likely
39%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

100% (6 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 1

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: Dee

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    The debate should be opened to all 
    ZeusAres42
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    No, the debate shouldn't be open to all that creates chaos. Go make your own thread if you want instead of trying to derail mine.

"All of the nation’s coal-fired power plants but one are less cost-effective to operate than constructing new solar or wind facilities in the United States, according to a study published Monday by the firm Energy Innovation."

We should have a $100 a ton carbon price. I wonder if the report takes that into account. As polar ice melts, sea level rise, there will be lots and lots of refugees displaced by climate change.

ZeusAres42
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

Ahh got ya you don't want debate youbwant to preach, do carry on
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    The contender offers no arguments only an ad hominem or tone police of my argument style.
    ZeusAres42
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    I'm not a " contender" , I've roundly defeated you on this topic several times why do it again?

All you ever did in the past was post up links with rarely an opinion of your own. Also it's not an Ad Hominen to say you
     only wish to preach, its a fact as you exclude the majority on here as you know you cannot defend the  varied opinions put forward
    ZeusAres42
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    Your just nitpicking and derailing. I picked one vs one to reduce confusion. Often a great argument is missed if too many people respond at once. I already pointed out you can create your own thread if you feel strongly.

Your past behavior is virulent anti-Semitic troll as JulesKorngold has pointed out. I never wanted to debate you because of this. Even when your on mute I can't figure out how to stop you from joining a debate I created.

As for posting links, there is many benefits. 

• First, you avoid plagiarism. Many people think they are original but are not. Giving credit to the author is best.
    • Adds credibility particularity experts and peer reviewed journals.
    • Saves time and space.
    • Somebody else has almost always phrased things better.
    • Fallibility of memory, trying to remember a bunch of statistics exactly is very difficult.
    • Updates, many websites remove obsolete information and replace with new and better.
    • Finally, creativity is simplest terms is adding two existing ideas together to form your own conclusion. Therefore, posting links from multiple authors to form your own conclusion creative.
    In the end Dee just trolls the debate yet again and offers nothing of substance. There is a 97% scientific consensus on climate change, 99% of coal plants are old and obsolete and need to go anyways. We should close all coal plants. I am willing to compromise and say keep 1% of the newest and least dirty coal plants and close the other 99%.

For our economy, health, the environment, and especially for koala bears. :)

ZeusAres42