frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should we have at least a $100 a ton carbon price in 1st world countries?

Debate Information

Position: For
Yes, we should have a $100 or more per ton of Co2 price. Freeloaders are a major problem when it comes to pollution. Individual profits and socialized costs. We are stealing from future generations and overburdening them by delaying. This $100 price would better reflect the overall cost.

Unless you want a bunch of climate change displaced refugees in your neighborhood better reduce Co2. A one meter rise in sea level would displace 230 million people.

1. Live Poll

At least $100 per ton carbon price?

3 votes
    1. Yay
      33.33%
    2. Nay
      66.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 2

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: MayCaesar

Rounds: 1

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    First of all, let me thank my opponent for suggesting this debate. While I do accept the debate, I would like my opponent to clarify their reasoning so I could respond in a meaningful manner. Specifically, I do not follow the logical chain from the stated premises to the conclusion that a $100+ a ton carbon price would "better reflect the overall cause". Here are my questions:
    • What exactly transaction is being talked about? Are we talking about pure CO2 stored in a tank which I want to purchase, so that the government would impose a price control on it? Are we talking about equivalent amount of CO2 industrial activities I partake in produce? Are we talking about direct imposition of these price control, or more indirect regulations that are projected to result in the market price being this?
    • It is unclear to me what it means to "steal from future generations". I would like to hear my opponent's definition of "stealing" used in this sentence. All (economical) definitions of stealing I am familiar with involve stealing from someone who currently possesses a piece of property, which, to my understanding, future generations metaphysically cannot.
    • I do not understand where the number of $100 came from. Why not $99 or $101? Why not $50 or $200? What economical analysis resulted in this spectacularly round number?
    • I would like to understand how my opponent arrived at the conclusion that without this measure in place I would eventually have a "bunch" of climate change-displaced refugees in my neighborhood. Is my neighborhood somehow special, or does this sentence refer to a more general "A neighborhood", in which case climate change-displaced refugees would somewhat uniformly fill out all neighborhoods? And, again, why does the exact value of $100 prevents this from occurring, rather than $99 or $101 or some other value?
    • My opponent also mentioned the projected consequences of a one meter rise in sea level, which appears to me to be completely disconnected from the rest of the argument. I would like to see the connection drawn; how does this support my opponent's conclusion?
    • Finally, I would like to see a bit of discussion of the potential negative consequences of imposing the regulations my opponent has in mind. As per famous Thomas Sowell' quote, "There are no solutions, only trade-offs". The discussion of this proposal without considering both positive and negative consequences of it seems incomplete to me.
    With that, I am handing the microphone over to my opponent to clarify their argument, so we can proceed with a constructive discussion. 
    just_sayinGiantMan
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    "The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change suggested that a carbon price of $100/tCO2e[a] could reduce global GHG emissions by at least half the 2019 level by 2030.[2]"

For each ton emitted into the atmosphere, co2 is a pollutant.

A $100 carbon price could be implemented via tax, cap and trade, or a combination of both. No, I don't fully understand all the intricate details, but that is why we have experts.

"Expert consensus is a powerful thing. None of us have the time or ability to learn about everything/ That's why we frequently defer to experts, such as consulting doctors when we’re ill."

GiantMan