frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should it be illegal for jobs to require an address?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Argument Topic: Yes it should.

It should be illegal for jobs to require an address for jobs. It's just going to keep the homeless people from getting jobs and earning money. I also think it's unconstitutional that jobs require addresses, too. I think it violates the 4th amendment, which is the right to privacy because jobs shouldn't need to have to know where you live. A violent person could get a hold of your address, and then your house could be arsoned.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster No I dont think it should be illegal. The reason is for example where I work we knock off thousands of chickens and we have heaps of manual workers and some times you think that theres a revolting door at the entrance because so many of the workers leave. Its not every ones cup of tea but the pay is good. So the thing is that a lot of the new workers who come in are immigrants and some of them dont know there way a round the city and when they dont know the address it just makes it harder to find even to go for an inter view. So I think it should be compulsory to not only require an address but they could do something like send it to there messages on there iPhones with the appointment date and time with a Google Map. Thats what the girl up stairs in our factory does and then they can find us no problem.
    theinfectedmaster
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    A violent person could get a hold of your address, and then your house could be arsoned.
    That's the whole point of asking. Be it with opening a bank account or getting a job.
    theinfectedmaster
    @theinfectedmaster ;A violent person could get a hold of your address, and then your house could be arsoned.

Okay I get what your trying to say about your address not the work address and I wood have to say that thats what happened at our work one day when one of the workers didn't turn up at work to work one day. What happened was that personal officer who works up stairs in the office sent the security guy a round to the persons home and she slipped and fell when she got out of bed and couldn't even get to her phone so she was saved. Any way as it happens thats why work has to keep your address because they are going to be the first point of call when some one is missing or lost. As for getting your house arsed on though I dont think I have ever seen that happen be for.

theinfectedmaster
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  

Should it be illegal for jobs to require an address?

Hello the:

Nobody needs to know where your house is.  Free address's are available from your post office (general delivery), and email too is free.  If, however, you're dealing with an employer or a bank who needs to know the location of your house, I'd walk the other way.

excon
    theinfectedmaster
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    @jack ;If, however, you're dealing with an employer or a bank who needs to know the location of your house, I'd walk the other way.

Well the fact is that you just wouldn't get the job nower days in the first place if you dont give your employer your address. because they are bound by the law and contract that they must have your address and your next of kin. 

And the reason is very clear of coarse. Its so the boss cam go round to your place while your at work and do in your wife then your relatives. Is that the answer you were looking for.

theinfectedmaster
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    Barnardot said:

Well the fact is that you just wouldn't get the job nower days in the first place if you dont give your employer your address. because they are bound by the law and contract that they must have your address and your next of kin.

Hello again, B:

Nahhh....  Nobody, that's NOBODY needs to know where your house is..    Neither your bank or your employer need to know the location of your house...  If they need to contact you, email works, general delivery works.  These days, I would NEVER, that's NEVER, let ANYBODY know where I live.

Look..  I'm a Jew...  There ARE people out there who would do me and/or my family harm..  Why, in the hell, should I give them a heads up about just WHERE I can be found???

excon

theinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    I would have a problem if I did not know where my employee lived. I do not need a physical address, but not knowing whether the employee even lives in this area, or has to do a 3-hour long commute to get here, does not allow me to customize the work I delegate to him accordingly, which limits the effectiveness of our collaboration. It so happens that knowing his physical address is the best way to assure that he actually lives where I think he does.

I do not think that is should be illegal for employers to ask their employees anything, including even the most private questions. Perhaps the employer has some weird convictions according to which anyone who has never had sex in life is untrustworthy and should not be hired - great! I, as a potential employee, would like to know it right away, at the interview stage, before I get the chance to commit to working there and then learning that my background there is extremely unwelcome.
    theinfectedmaster
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 963 Pts   -  
    Employers are legally obligated to get an address.  They need it because it is required for the I-9 form and they can be fined if it is not provided.  Further they have a legal obligation to send the employee specific forms in the event the employee leaves suddenly or is fired.  These forms include a record of employment, COBRA information, and any other insurance information applicable.
    theinfectedmaster

Hello again, j:

Show me the law, and I'll back off..  Demanding you show your "papers" smacks of Nazism.  Truth is, a general delivery address IS a legal address.  Every piece of mail you receive at your house can be received at general delivery..   Email does too.

I repeat, in this day and age, I would NEVER, that would be NEVER, supply my physical address to the man, UNLESS you can show me where I'm LEGALLY required to do so.. 

excon
    theinfectedmaster
    MayCaesar said:

I would have a problem if I did not know where my employee lived. I do not need a physical address, but not knowing whether the employee even lives in this area, or has to do a 3-hour long commute to get here, does not allow me to customize the work I delegate to him accordingly, which limits the effectiveness of our collaboration. It so happens that knowing his physical address is the best way to assure that he actually lives where I think he does.
    Hello May:

Huh??  You have a problem NOT knowing where your employee lived, but you don't need a physical address????  Huh again??? This type of intrusion into an employee's personal life is the exact reason why I'd NEVER work for a fascist like him, or even you..

If he's a good worker, WHY in the f*ck do you need to know where he actually lives, or how many time zones he crosses to get to work on time???

excon
    theinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    jack said:

Hello May:

Huh??  You have a problem NOT knowing where your employee lived, but you don't need a physical address????  Huh again??? This type of intrusion into an employee's personal life is the exact reason why I'd NEVER work for a fascist like him, or even you..

If he's a good worker, WHY in the f*ck do you need to know where he actually lives, or how many time zones he crosses to get to work on time???

excon
    Great to know. Someone who calls me a "fascist" based on one narrow position is someone who has no place in any company that I would ever want to run. ;)

As for the "why" question, I think I explained it quite succinctly. Has nothing to do with me wanting to know anything about his private life, although, naturally, the more I know about my employees and the more they know about me, the better we will work together. I am a huge fan of hanging out with my superiors' or subordinates' friends and family members so a stronger bond between us is formed, beyond just purely professional relations. To me a good team is not a team of colleagues, but a team of close friends, and I have always become friends with everyone sharing office space with me and we learned a ton about each other's lives.
    Dee
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:

Great to know. Someone who calls me a "fascist" based on one narrow position is someone who has no place in any company that I would ever want to run. 

Hello May:

Oh my gosh..  I've hurt your feelings..  Can I do it again??

excon
    GiantMan
    jack said:

Hello again, j:

Show me the law, and I'll back off..  Demanding you show your "papers" smacks of Nazism.  Truth is, a general delivery address IS a legal address.  Every piece of mail you receive at your house can be received at general delivery..   Email does too.

I repeat, in this day and age, I would NEVER, that would be NEVER, supply my physical address to the man, UNLESS you can show me where I'm LEGALLY required to do so.. 

excon
    This is from the Department of Labor:

Records To Be Kept By Employers

Quoted from the site:

What Records Are Required: Every covered employer must keep certain records for each non-exempt worker. The Act requires no particular form for the records, but does require that the records include certain identifying information about the employee and data about the hours worked and the wages earned. The law requires this information to be accurate. The following is a listing of the basic records that an employer must maintain:

1. Employee's full name and social security number.
    2. Address, including zip code.
    3. Birth date, if younger than 19.
    4. Sex and occupation.
    5. Time and day of week when employee's workweek begins.
    6. Hours worked each day.
    7. Total hours worked each workweek.
    8. Basis on which employee's wages are paid (e.g., "$9 per hour", "$440 a week", "piecework")
    9. Regular hourly pay rate.
    10. Total daily or weekly straight-time earnings.
    11. Total overtime earnings for the workweek.
    12. All additions to or deductions from the employee's wages.
    13. Total wages paid each pay period.
    14. Date of payment and the pay period covered by the payment.

How Long Should Records Be Retained: Each employer shall preserve for at least three years payroll records, collective bargaining agreements, sales and purchase records. 

Again, there are several laws that require employers to know your address:

• Labor laws
    • Tax laws
    • Health and Safety Regulations
    • Employment Contracts
    • Immigration Laws

theinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    jack said:

Hello May:

Oh my gosh..  I've hurt your feelings..  Can I do it again??

excon
    You have not, but you are welcome to keep trying.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    @jack ;Look..  I'm a Jew...  There ARE people out there who would do me and/or my family harm
    And thats all the more reason why your boss needs to know your address. What if a gang of anti semantics came to your place one morning and beet the crap out of you and your lying there not able to move. Then your boss at work says hay I wonder wear Jew Boy is. Like jee I wood check on him but I dont know where he lives. Then a few days later the neighbors call up the council to complain about all the flies and smell coming from your house. And then the boss thinks oh well Jew Boy hasn't turned up for 4 days and since I cant check on him and he refuses to answer his cell phone I better call up the employment agency.
    theinfectedmaster
    @just_sayin ;What Records Are Required: Every covered employer must keep certain records for each non-exempt worker.

Congrats there because you actually made a sensible argument that uses proper evidence.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    I would never employ someone who refuses to supply a home address as straight away.you're dealing with an extremely paranoid individual.

In fact I don't belive many companies would wish to.employ such a paraniod weirdo
    theinfectedmaster
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    Barnardot said:
    @jack ;Look..  I'm a Jew...  There ARE people out there who would do me and/or my family harm
    Then your boss at work says hay I wonder wear Jew Boy is.
    Hello B:

Jewboy, huh....  Fu*ck off.

excon

• jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    Dee said:

I would never employ someone who refuses to supply a home address.

Hello Dee:

Well then, we're even...  I'd NEVER work for the likes of you.

excon
    theinfectedmaster
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited October 2023
    @jack

***Well then, we're even...  I'd NEVER work for the likes of you.***

Of course you wouldn't as you're not interested in employment you're more interested in crowing " it my goooooodammned right under the con ....stiiiiii tuuuition to withhold my address" at which point any employer says " well f-ck of then"

Bet you'd whistle a different tune if you had mouths to feed.

Your bravado Rambo posturing is not convincing.
    @jack ;Hello B:

Jewboy, huh....  Fu*ck off.
    excon

Im sorry for that I didn't mean to be sexualist about it.

So how about Jew Boy or Jew Girl.

• @MayCaesar Yeah, but homeless people won't have a chance to get homes then, and you can just look up a news article on him to see if he committed a crime. You're just going to discriminate against homeless people, which in my opinion is just plain wrong.
  • @just_sayin 18 year olds aren't actually required to provide a birthdate.
  • @barnardot What if he wants to beat Jews though? It would be dangerous to provide an address then.
  • @Barnardot Some of what he said is wrong though.
  • @Dee That's not good because you're allowing the homeless people to suffer because they won't be able to get money to be able to have a house.
    @just_sayin 18 year olds aren't actually required to provide a birthdate.
    The statement is quoted directly from the Department of Labor site.

For the specific law see

the National Archives: Code of Federal Regulations

• @just_sayin I wrote a letter to the U.S. department of labor to ban the whole address thing.