frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should we ban harmful pesticides?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Argument Topic: We absolutely need to.

Harmful pesticides are killing our pollinators, they're exacerbating climate change, and they're harming our food, too.
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    Harmful pesticides are killing our pollinators, they're exacerbating climate change, and they're harming our food, too.
    Please provide evidence for your claims.

Even the WHO advocates the use of pesticides

Evidence from countries that continued using DDT showed that correct and timely use of indoor spraying can reduce malaria transmission by up to 90%. In the past, India was able to use DDT effectively to substantially cut the number of malaria cases and deaths. 

Especially indoor spraying of pesticides can reduce serious diseases.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I would warn against using "we" in discussions of this kind. By definition, a ban on something is use of force by one group of people to compel another group of people to act as the former group desires: if everyone was already on board with the idea, then nobody would partake in the behavior in question in the first case, and banning it would have no effect. So there is no such thing as "us" banning something, there is only such thing as "you" forcing your way of life on others.
    theinfectedmaster
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I think the main problem is misuse of pesticides and propganda. I'd be more worried about monolithic crops.

I will give two examples. First, in the past we really misused DDT. We overused it and it caused lots of damage. With super-pests evolving very limited use of DDT can still do more good than harm.

"Most comparative studies conducted since the early 1970s have found that the pesticide levels in foods designated organic were similar to those that were not."

The second is organic pesticides. These pesticides often requiring higher dosages defeating the entire purpose. 

That being said there are ways to reduce pesticide usage. Avoid monolithic crops and plant more diversity.

theinfectedmaster
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -   edited November 2023
    @theinfectedmaster ;I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Well I dont think that we should ban harm full pestisides because the point is that there is no point in having them then.

For example an example is that if the pestiside for mosquitos was not harm full then it would not kill the mosquitos.

And if the pestiside for locuses is not harmful then it would not kill the locuses and the corn crops would die.

And if the pesticide for might wasps was not harm full then all the oranges would not live.

And if the pestiside for codlin moth was not harm full then the apples would be full of them.