frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are Wooden Pencils Are Better Than Mechanical Pencils?

Debate Information

A useless debate, yet one I am very passionate about.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Foxlady76Foxlady76 20 Pts   -  
    When it comes to writing, there are two types of pencils: wooden pencils and mechanical pencils. While some may argue that mechanical pencils are the better option, I firmly believe that wooden pencils are superior in many ways.

Firstly, wooden pencils have a classic and timeless feel to them. The aesthetic appeal of a wooden pencil is unmatched by a mechanical pencil. The wood grain, the feel of the wood against your fingers, and the iconic yellow color make wooden pencils a pleasure to use.

Secondly, wooden pencils are more environmentally friendly than mechanical pencils. Wooden pencils are made from sustainable, renewable resources, while mechanical pencils require a significant amount of plastic and metal components that are not biodegradable. In addition, wooden pencils can be easily sharpened and reused, while mechanical pencils require you to purchase new lead and often result in plastic waste.

Thirdly, wooden pencils are more versatile than mechanical pencils. Wooden pencils can be used for shading, drawing, and writing, while mechanical pencils are primarily designed for writing. Wooden pencils allow for more creativity and expression, making them a better choice for artists and writers alike.

Fourthly, wooden pencils are more affordable than mechanical pencils. You can purchase a pack of wooden pencils for a fraction of the cost of a good mechanical pencil. Wooden pencils are also more widely available, making them more convenient to purchase.

Moreover, wooden pencils have a nostalgic value that mechanical pencils lack. Many of us fondly remember using wooden pencils in school, and the experience of sharpening a pencil and hearing the shavings hit the floor can bring back happy memories.

In conclusion, wooden pencils are a superior choice to mechanical pencils in many ways. They offer a classic and timeless feel, they are more environmentally friendly, more versatile, more affordable, and have a nostalgic value that mechanical pencils cannot match. So, next time you reach for a pencil, consider reaching for a wooden one.
    GiantMan

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @Foxlady76 well I reckon you’re way behind because when you analize both types of pencils in the end nether one measures up to the mark.
    Just think about it. Both are harm full to the environment. What about the paint on wooden pencils. And what about all the trees you chop down to make the paper. Sustainable my but hole. 
    Where as look at just typing on a computer. It takes up a nano kWh of energy and it stays like that for ever and you can send it to a million people at once. And you don’t need an eraser to edit. I’m a fraid that your idea of using any type of pencil is waist full, un economical and energy sapping. Your just got to stop destroying the environment so much and up date your archaic ways.
  • @Foxlady76
    Moreover, wooden pencils have a nostalgic value that mechanical pencils lack. Many of us fondly remember using wooden pencils in school, and the experience of sharpening a pencil and hearing the shavings hit the floor can bring back happy memories.

Heard the wood shavings hit the floor? All the pencil sharpeners I had seen came with a case to hold the shavings and they had to be emptied. No one would empty the pencil sharpener so you had to dig out the shavings with your pencil at the trash can. I brought my own to school and would lose it every week by breaking it somehow....Mechanical, Drafting pencils are the best...

@John_C_87 ;.Mechanical, Drafting pencils are the best...

And like I said to Foxylady drafting pencils are a total waist and environmental unfriendly nower days.

Just think about it. Your using heaps of paper. Then your taking days just to draft a design for a new nut and then your rubbing things out and your using up light and air con and heating in the office as well as costing all your time in labor. And then you have to post the plans in a huge tube or courier it which all costs resources. And then the person at the other end says you need to change the specs and sends it back to you in another tube and you have to draft it up again and send another one and then there is some thing else they want added so you go through using up more paper and air con and lighting and heating and labor again.Then theres some dum blond chick in the office who has to put the drawing on a huge flat bed scanner which costs heaps and uses heaps of energy to make and run. 

Where as all you need to do is get Sketch pro and design a hole air craft carrier in 1 hour and email it strait a way to the other end and if they want changes you do it in 5 minutes and wasting no more than 0.0005 nano kwh of energy to do it all.

I reckon when they brought out pencils and paper Fred Flint Stone would have been mighty peed off with leaving behind the chisel and rock but thats just progression for you. It gets better and better and your just got to accept that using drafting pencils or any pencils is destroying the environment and waist full and time consuming and if kids ever walked past an office at night time with the lights and heating on and see some old fart sitting at a drafting bored drawing away all night just to design a new nail head they would p them selves with laughter.

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Mechanical All The Way

@Foxlady76

While wooden pencils do offer a certain charm and nostalgia, mechanical pencils provide a number of practical advantages that make them the superior choice for modern writing and drawing.

Precision and Control: Mechanical pencils provide a consistent and precise writing experience, with a consistent line width that doesn't require sharpening. This makes them ideal for tasks that require precision, such as technical drawing and drafting. Wooden pencils, on the other hand, can become dull and require frequent sharpening, leading to inconsistent line widths and difficulty achieving fine details.

Durability and Convenience: Mechanical pencils are less prone to breakage and can withstand more wear and tear than wooden pencils. They don't require sharpening, which saves time and effort. Additionally, mechanical pencils allow users to easily extend or retract the lead with a simple click, eliminating the need for a sharpener altogether.

Ease of Use and Comfort: Mechanical pencils offer a comfortable and ergonomic grip, reducing hand fatigue and promoting better posture. Wooden pencils, with their hexagonal shape and smooth surface, can be more difficult to grip, especially for extended writing or drawing sessions.  They also won't dirty a shirt pocket.

Environment and Sustainability: While wooden pencils are made from natural materials, mechanical pencils can be more environmentally friendly if used with refillable lead. Refills produce significantly less waste compared to disposable wooden pencils, and many mechanical pencil bodies are made from recycled materials.

Versatility and Flexibility: Contrary to the claim that wooden pencils are more versatile, mechanical pencils offer greater flexibility and adaptation to different tasks. Mechanical pencils come in a variety of lead sizes and grades, allowing users to adjust line thickness and hardness to suit their needs. Wooden pencils, on the other hand, offer limited options and may not be suitable for all types of writing or drawing.

Modernity and Innovation: Mechanical pencils represent a more modern and innovative approach to writing tools. They have evolved to incorporate features like retractable tips, lead advancement mechanisms, and ergonomic designs, making them a more practical and user-friendly choice for today's writers and artists.

In conclusion, while wooden pencils hold a certain nostalgia and charm, mechanical pencils offer a superior writing and drawing experience in terms of precision, control, durability, convenience, versatility, and environmental impact. Their modern designs and innovative features make them the preferred choice for many creative professionals and everyday users alike.

GiantMan
  • @Barnardot
    A computer is made up of many chemicals, parts which arre or become toxic over the years of use. I make more paper copies now that I work from comuters then I did without it. All things a person might do can be envirementally unfriendly there are many more planets in the solar system without life then with life at the moment. It took me 43 years, 5 computers, 5 tablests of paper, 3 laptops, and 18 pencils to calculate a circles circumference without Pi. It is much easier for me to make my own paper, coffee, and mechanical pencil then my own computer, electric, flash drive, hard drive, and coffee. 

I have a mechanical pencil for my computer........lol.... WHAT! I’m so crazy! ....That shaft is one bad Mother Fu…What you say? I’m only talking about shaft baby. It is my paint brush, marker, and pen, It is my stencil, airbrush, and paint roller, it is my mouse.

@John_C_87 ;I make more paper copies now that I work from comuters then I did without it.

Thats you and I would say that you are capable of cutting down printing by 100% if you think about it. Sure computers cost that initial amount of resources and manufacturing and there is nothing that is perfect or 100% environmentally impact free. But when you way up the methods the computer is well on top so far as economy goes. At our plant there is this old guy who prints things out just so he can read them and I think what the.

• @Barnardot

Oops. I spelled computer wrong..........Every time you pull a file and send it electronically adds up on the electric bill. Filing space, battery backup, power back up. It is about speed and how much extra we are willing to pay for it. If it is not money, it is security. I will not go over cost and reasons for those cost online, sorry.

@John_C_87 ; I will not go over cost and reasons for those cost online, sorry.

Well you dont have to apologize for your weekness.

Its a hard exercise to do and then some one has got to set down the perimeters of the exercise. But Im sure that Fred Flinstone said the same thing when he tried using a pencil and couldnt get up to speed and sharpens the eraser and braking the led all the time but after a while he gets up to speed and thinks gee this is much better and more efficient than lugging heaps of flat rocks home every day from the slate rock and gravel company and wopping him self with a chizel all the time. 

And in any case all he needed to do do is click on the help tab. Like Wilma Wilma Wilma.