frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is there meaning to a life without death?

Debate Information

Let's identify what a life without death might look like, wars/weapons with no death, starving people all around the globe, illness, people in power always in power, no more births: Would it be a life of infinite torture which one cannot escape? What has anyone done to be deserving of this? And you're telling me I can't even kill myself? No thanks, I'll pass!

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    unless one is super, immortality would have its drawbacks. Fall off a cliff and smash myself to bits, yet lie there for eternity? @doaa8168
    Factfinder
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I do not think you are thinking far enough. In order for death to truly be impossible, humans would have to have incredible regenerative ability: any wound would have to heal up completely at the speed of light, no permanent rearrangement of atoms inside their body would be possible, et cetera... What is not to like here?

But it gets better. You mentioned people in power being always in power... But what does their power really mean when you are immortal? Suppose I live in North Korea and do not like the dictator. Well, I can literally walk up to uncle Kim and start grilling him. He will order everyone to shoot at me, but their bullets will be completely useless, so I will just stand there and laugh. He may order them to restrain me, but they, in turn, have no reason to obey this order for they also are not afraid of his empty threats - and if they do decide to restrain me, my regenerative ability will mean that I will break out of any restraint in a flash.

It would be a world of truly free individuals, free to do literally whatever physically is possible, with no consequences other than possible social disapproval (which, in turn, will not mean that much for no one would need to rely on being on good terms with the society to live and thrive). If you think about how many practical limitations the possibility of dying imposes on us, that would be a dream come true.

And if even that is not enough for you, then you can ride the wave of technological evolution for as long as you like (you are immortal, after all), until the point where you can enter a virtual reality where even laws of physics can be changed however you please. You will become pretty much a god, able to do anything, to build anything, to feel anything you want. That is a state of the level of bliss that even heavens in human religions have never promised anyone.

Gimme immortality!!!
    Factfinder
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -   edited January 1
    if science here on earth would develop a way for us to live forever; i do not see it would actually follow that it would give us instant regenerative abilities. Immortality in humans would begin at the cellular level and or replacement of tissue, organs and limbs. However, even if we were able to regenerate with out such  changes; it might be weeks or months for such repair; and lying under a huge bolder with intense pain' waiting for my body to repair itself may not deter myself from wanting immortality, so if i did have it, i would be very careful. However, even if we did have the ability to regenerate almost instantly, think of the psychological problems. Society and the people in it would still have their emotional issues. I think we would have to eradicate many of the worlds problems first, including birth defects. Who would want to live forever born in a way that society spurns, or be dependent on others due to mental retardation, or any other specific problems? There would also still be crimes and criminals; some may be severe enough where they would have to be put away. What about population? We would first have to have the ability to colonize other planets. What would happen to someone who was burned alive? Would immortality guarantee us the ability to not even breathe air? What if one were blown to bits in an explosion? Would we still age? could an astronaut take his helmet off in space?  What if I were flattened by a steam roller?  Being immortal would not make us super, and while i like the idea of being immortal, if it were suddenly available, I would agree to it, yet there are a lot of issues to deal with in being so. @MayCaesar
    Factfinder
  • FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    Not to overstate, but god how many centuries go by before you're own insanity condems you to your own personal hell?@doaa8168
  • FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    Strong postive argument @MayCaesar. But I think you're overlooking one thing; our proclivity for evil. I think @doaa8168 had that in mind. There's no reason to think we would all be good.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @doaa8168 Well Im going to throw a different angle in to the micks on this and look at the proberbility that we will all be eternal before to long. Scientists are working on it and are saying that it is most likely to happen. All ready they can replace biological body parts with high tech mechanical and electronic parts that are much better. And they are on the cups of making brains that are more powerful and more reliable than a biological brain. If your brain gets squished up in an accident they just need to download all your saved brain data in to a new one and then off you go.
    So there we have the game changer because the finalness of death will not be a factor and it will mean that we will have different gaols in life. 
    Joeseph
  • JoesephJoeseph 697 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

If your brain gets squished up in an accident they just need to download all your saved brain data in to a new one and then off you go.

The saved  data for yours in fairness would take up little or no space ......