frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should we encourage people not to move to big cities?

Debate Information

I was wondering what anyone thinks about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Yes I think we should.

I think it's 100% a great idea to encourage people not to move to big cities because big cities often struggle with things, like high levels of pollution and a ton of hazardous chemicals.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited January 3

Should we encourage people not to move to big cities?

Hello the:

For me, I need a good Jewish deli on my corner..  You ain't got those in the country.   For that, and a couple thousand other reasons, I'll stay in the city.

Now, it IS true, you got some wide open spaces in the country...  And that's good if you like wide open spaces.  But, for me, I need a Starbucks on my corner.

excon
    Factfinder
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    I think it's 100% a great idea to encourage people not to move to big cities because big cities often struggle with things, like high levels of pollution and a ton of hazardous chemicals.
    Wouldn't the amount of pollution increase?  After all in a city there is many more mass transit options.  Many people in large cities don't even own cars.  In rural areas, cars are a necessity.  Not as many apartments either, so more trees would be cut down for lumber for homes.  I think the exact opposite would happen - moving to more rural areas would result in higher pollution.  

The greater issues are those of jobs, safety, and education.  If your concern is jobs - then move to the city - there are more jobs there.  If your primary concerns are safety and education - then the suburbs are best.  Cities and rural communities generally do not have good schools.  
    theinfectedmaster
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster ;like high levels of pollution and a ton of hazardous chemicals.

I reckon its better to deal with levels in one place because its far mor efficient and reliable. If we have to many country towns and encourage more people to stay then guess where they flush there number 2s. Thats right, down the streams and rivers. They dont have expensive treatment plants in the country. And also what happens is that they have to wack in more water pips and power lines which is going to damage the enviorment even more. 

theinfectedmaster
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @jack ;For me, I need a good Jewish deli on my corner..

Well sure the yid delis have some grate stuff in them but then it would be waste full if you have to have another shop to go to if you want to by bacon and ham. And what about the kosher salt. Its a total rip off because its flacky so you only get half as much in a box but pay twice as much. And you have to fill your salt grinder up twice as much.

theinfectedmaster
    @jack What about small cities though meaning areas with 10,000-99,999 people?
    @just_sayin No there wouldn't be more air pollution because there is less traffic and there are less people using hazardous chemicals. Studies will show that urban areas generally have more air pollution than rural areas. Plus, crime typically is lower, although it is rising due to law enforcement disbanding. You are right about education typically being worse though.
    @just_sayin What about small cities though meaning areas with between 10,000 and 99,999 people?
  • FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    I agree with you on this one @jack. Personally I like the Subway, Round Table, Belaire and Starbucks across the street. :) 
  • FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    Hi @theinfectedmaster

I gave small towns a chance for half my life. Got tired always having to drive everywhere I go. 
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin No there wouldn't be more air pollution because there is less traffic and there are less people using hazardous chemicals. Studies will show that urban areas generally have more air pollution than rural areas. Plus, crime typically is lower, although it is rising due to law enforcement disbanding. You are right about education typically being worse though.
    l don't think you thought this through.  Big cities have a higher CO2 output because they have a higher population in a reduced size.  For example, New York City has 8 million people in a 24 square mile radius.  If you take those people and move them to rural areas, you will increase the CO2 output in rural areas - each individual will be emitting more CO2 because they can't take public transportation.  More cars - more CO2.  More houses - more CO2.  More EV cars, means more CO2 emissions in mining materials for EV batteries and more coal and natural gas emissions from increased energy consumption for powering EV cars.  More businesses in rural settings means more trucks needed to move goods and services, which means more CO2 emissions.  
    theinfectedmaster
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    @jack ;    For me, I need a good Jewish deli on my corner..

Well, don't tell the deli owners that you support HAMAS, or they will spit on your berliner as they are wrapping it up for you.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -  
    Bogan said:

Well, don't tell the deli owners that you support HAMAS
    Hello B:

What makes a zinger, a zinger, is that it's based on the truth..  Posting a lie and calling it a zinger, is still a lie.  

excon