frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should it be illegal for parents with a kid who has pituitary dwarfism to force them to get ght?

Debate Information

Ght stands for growth hormone therapy by the way. Please feel free to share how you feel about this.
  1. Live Poll

Should it be illegal for parents with a kid who has pituitary dwarfism to force them to get ght?

3 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      66.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I think it absolutely needs to for some very good reasons.

A parent forcing a kid who has pituitary dwarfism to get growth hormone therapy needs to be illegal because if that kid wants to be short, it's their choice on whether they want to be short, I mean not everyone wants to be tall, being taller has risks to it, people who are taller tend to not live as long, have more health issues, and have more blood clots, and growth hormones have been linked to cancer, too.
    Factfinder
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster Well okay your got to be abjective about this.

Sure we all like to go to the circus and p ourselfs laughing at the dwarfs and think there kind of cute. And why dont you ask @Bogan about this? Where he comes from they have dwarf throwing competitions and they think its hellarious.
    But your got to look at the practical side of things. Apart from the ridicule dwarfs have a horrible time with there bones and joints and have a horrible time all the time with the pain because they have to wiggle to walk and get riped tendons all the time. The one advantage I suppose is that when they fall over they dont have far to fall :)

But seriously they have to do this therapy when the dwarf kids are really young so the parents have to make the decision so it really is a tough call. Sure there is no such thing as a perfect body which ever way we go but I reckon that dwarfs have a heap more health issues than us tallys.
    theinfectedmaster
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    That decision has to made before the child is old enough to understand the consequences. @theinfectedmaster Parents have to be able to make medical decisions for their children. 
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1126 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

So you think kids can make any decisions they deem good for. themselves?  Parents get to decide whats in their childs best interest unless it obvious abuse.

Do you think children can have sex because they may want to?
    @Factfinder And I don't think this is a good thing because if the kid doesn't want to be taller, then they shouldn't have to be forced to be taller. The parents should really ask their kids of they're okay with this before they do this. If a kid is fine being short, then let them be short.
    Factfinder
    @MichaelElpers They should be allowed to make a decision on this because it is their body, and plus if they're fine being short, then we shouldn't be forcing them to be taller. Taller people have more health problems than shorter people, so I definitely think forcing a kid who has pituitary dwarfism to get growth hormone therapy is just plain wrong because shorter people are at an advantage of living longer and not having health issues. Plus, growth hormones have been linked to cancer, too, would you really want your kid to get that.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    @Factfinder And I don't think this is a good thing because if the kid doesn't want to be taller, then they shouldn't have to be forced to be taller. The parents should really ask their kids of they're okay with this before they do this. If a kid is fine being short, then let them be short.
    What you think doesn't matter. Little children do not have the ability to make informed medical decisions. Your argument has no basis and is ludicrous.  
    theinfectedmaster
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    I'm not aware of the benefits and potential risks of taking the hormone.  What are they?  in general my position is government should not make laws unless there are serious risks for irreparable harm to the child.  I don't think children have the agency to make decisions that will impact them for a lifetime and therefore should be protected in the case of irreversible damage.  
    Factfindertheinfectedmaster
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1126 Pts   -  
    @theinfectedmaster

You need to provide substantial evidence the treatment is dangerous. Saying tall people on average live less long is not a good argument.  This is insinuating people with dwarfism live longer because they are short but they do not.

Also youre argument provides a stance the pedophilia is fine as long as a child agrees.
    Factfindertheinfectedmaster
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    This kind of thing is precisely what civil courts are designed to tackle. If a child, upon reaching the age of adulthood, believes that the parents forcing him to get GHT dealt a very serious damage to his life, then he can file a civil complaint against them and demand compensation.

I do not think anyone else, or the government, should have any say on anything but explicit cases of violence/cruel treatment, such as parents beating their child up, abusing him verbally systematically, depriving him of food, locking him in his room over minor disobedience... Things like choice of treatment, education or diet are too grey to be tackled by criminal courts.

For example, I do not think that the government should have prevented Neil's dad in the Dead Poets' Society from not letting him take acting classes. However, upon Neil's suicide it definitely should have put him on trial for cruel treatment of his child leading to him killing himself. It is pretty hard to judge how traumatic are particular parent's actions are to the child just by looking into those actions, but here we have a very explicit consequence (death) of those actions suggesting that they were very hurtful.
    theinfectedmaster
    @Factfinder No. If they know that they're not comfortable being taller, they can just tell their parents directly that they don't want this. I think, too if a kid tells their parents yes that parents should be required to inform their kid on the risks of being taller. Being taller can lead to a shorter lifespan, a greater risk of having health issues, and having a greater risk of getting a bloodclot. I also think, too that parents should be required to tell their kids that growth hormones have been linked to cancer. Would you want your kid to get cancer? No.
    Factfinder
    @just_sayin The hormones have been linked to cancer. Plus, being taller can have risks to it. They tend not to live as long as shorter people, they tend to have more health issues than shorter people, and they tend to have more blood clots than shorter people.
    @MichaelElpers This has nothing to do with sex. It has to do with hormones. Growth hormones have been linked to cancer, so that is a good argument. Plus, if taller people can have more health issues, then yes it is a good argument.
    @MayCaesar Would you want your kid to die sooner, have more health problems, have more blood clots, or get cancer? That's basically what being taller can do, growth hormones have been linked to cancer, too.
  • theinfectedmastertheinfectedmaster 145 Pts   -   edited January 10
    @MichaelElpers First of all, pedophilia is a disorder. It's not a crime. How can people consent to something that is a mental disorder? It's just like saying they can consent to schizophrenia.
    @theinfectedmaster I have research to back up the facts I stated, so marking it as a fallacy is completely just wrong.
    Factfinder
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Would you want your kid to die sooner, have more health problems, have more blood clots, or get cancer? That's basically what being taller can do, growth hormones have been linked to cancer, too.
    No, I would not. These are not the only effects GHT may have, however, nor are they necessarily going to happen. There have been cases of people developing complications to their body rejecting over-the-counter painkillers; that does not imply that giving children painkillers should now be considered a crime.
    Factfinder