frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does anybody know?

Debate Information

Does anyone understand the role that AI plays in this? This is what attracted me to this site; that AI logic may impose some basic rules and regulations while not squelching free speech. However, the AI icon never changes. The 100% remains the same in all debates. How does it actually predict a winner?
And what is the debate skills #? Mine is 1340. I have no idea what this means?
I have sent emails to the ¨administrator¨ Aarong, and have never gotten a response back.
I´ve also experienced my posts that seem to disappear.
I wonder also how much of this is bots, plants, and deceitful debaters.

Can anyone please explain to me just how this site works?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    Does anyone understand the role that AI plays in this? This is what attracted me to this site; that AI logic may impose some basic rules and regulations while not squelching free speech. However, the AI icon never changes. The 100% remains the same in all debates. How does it actually predict a winner?
    And what is the debate skills #? Mine is 1340. I have no idea what this means?
    I have sent emails to the ¨administrator¨ Aarong, and have never gotten a response back.
    I´ve also experienced my posts that seem to disappear.
    I wonder also how much of this is bots, plants, and deceitful debaters.

Can anyone please explain to me just how this site works?
    I don't think it works anymore.  It worked when I first joined, but it hasn't worked for probably a year now.  I think it was looking for certain words to decide if something was positive or negative in context, and looked for words you would use in debates to lay out arguments and for references.  
    Factfinder
  • OpenmindedOpenminded 194 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I don't think it works anymore.

@just_sayin
    Good to know. But seems deceitful in my opinion. When you research Debate Island, it´s said to be one of the best flaunting its AI usage and other methodologies. Also, Aarong - just who is that? He/She is supposed to be the administrator. I´ve yet to hear for them since I signed up.
    @just_sayin
    Good to know. But seems deceitful in my opinion. When you research Debate Island, it´s said to be one of the best flaunting its AI usage and other methodologies. Also, Aarong - just who is that? He/She is supposed to be the administrator. I´ve yet to hear for them since I signed up.
    I've not interacted with @Aarong other than the introductory email everybody gets.  There are several people who have been here a lot longer than I have who would know more than me - like @ZeusAres42.
  • OpenmindedOpenminded 194 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I've not interacted with @Aarong other than the introductory email everybody gets.

Thanks. Iḿ thinking of joining a different debate site and researching them.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    I think you'll find similar problems on other sites as you do on this one. @Openminded

I think if we each have a personal commitment to honest debating which includes sincerely considering the perspective of others during the process we can create a healthy environment for open debate no matter where we are. We just have to examine the issues together and put personal feelings along with party affiliations aside. 
    What are you looking for?  

If you like watching debates where experts on both sides go at it then try - https://www.intelligencesquaredplus.com/debates

If you like outlining and structuring debates try Kialo (but you don't actually debate)

If you like short remarks with the opportunity to be seen by thousands of people then post in the comments of news.yahoo.com

Like debating comics and manga - comicvine

Need top 3 points for or against - procon

Most debate sites themselves are going to disappoint you.  - not a lot of users, and very eccentric users (John C is on a lot of them - ask him), and a lot of trash talking
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -   edited January 17
    Whatever you do, don't go to someplace because they all think like you.  Good debaters can not only defend their position, but can make the argument for the other position better than whom they are debating.  If you are looking for people who think like you, you will never develop the skills and knowledge to be a good debater.
  • @just_sayin
    I've not interacted with @Aarong other than the introductory email everybody gets.  There are several people who have been here a lot longer than I have who would know more than me - like @ZeusAres42.

The last I heard this was being worked on.