frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should We Be Fair to Religions

Debate Information

All we seem to hear about now is all that is wrong about religion and how religious people are from another planet. And it must be one giant let down for religious people to find out that God doesnt really exist and all they can do is hope that God exists so they know that they are going to retire to a luxury condo when they retire.
But isnt it the really the fault of the religious institutions for sucking innocent people in in the first place?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Yes, we should be fair and offer criticism and not hate. Large difference between there is logical contradictions in the holy book of all major religions versus what Russian disinformation campaigns spread against Muslims.

• RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot ;  Seeing that "DebateIsland" is overwhelmingly inundated by demonically deceived, some demonically possessed, atheists and secular humanists, which are a "religion" in their own right, it would be good to see the hope and sustainability offered by Christianity discussed in these forums as well. 

I agree with Jesus that only a relatively "few" will find life in the Kingdom by faith in Him as our Messiah, but the fact that the precepts of Christianity are the precepts of sustainability for any society, it would be wise and prudent to discuss them here as a comparison/contrast to the death in Hell that is the religion of atheism-Progressivism-Marxism-Lenninism.

• jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Should We Be Fair to Religions @Barnardot

@Barnardot

Hello B:

Sure.  Make churches pay taxes, like the rest of us do..  They were promised an exemption if they stayed out of politics..  They didn't, and we should make 'em pay.

excon
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6059 Pts   -  
    A religion is essentially a fantasy taken seriously. One absolutely should be fair to religion, in that it is to be treated the same way as one's belief that they are living in Tolkien's world, or in the Forgotten Realms, or in the Galaxy Far-Far Away... Something to shrug at, say, "Oh, I see", and distance oneself from the person.

I do not think that religion in itself necessarily leads to totalitarianism - but it certainly is a very convenient kind of ideology for tyrants to adopt. By its very nature, religion does not have to be justified: it is to be taken on faith. The job of the Iranian Ayatollahs is much easier than that of the Cuban General Secretariate: the latter have to actually make a logical argument in support of their claim to power, while the former can just say, "If you disrespect us, you disrespect Allah, and where does it leave you?"
  • LuskLusk 28 Pts   -   edited February 4
    Argument Topic: Yes

Though no religion is completely true, we oughtta respect those views for what they are, man's attempts to understand who God is. We can point out the evil aspects of religion, but to judge someone simply because they hold to a specific religion is . Religious people aren't brainwashed or strange; they are normal people like us seeking God in the way they think is best. They deserve our respect just like anyone else.
    Dreamer
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  

Hi, Lusk with religion I am not a fan of the 8/10 white evangelical Christians voting for Trump the most un-Christian person ever.

On the other hand the new atheist movement is full of useful idi0ts that end up being Putin's pawn.

" Russia impersonated a “cybercaliphate” so that the French would fear terror more than they already did. The aim was presumably to drive voters to the far-right National Front, a party financially supported by Russia."

Lusk
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @jack I throughly agree with you that churches should pay taxes but I don’t think there should be a deal because how can you govern keeping out of politics? You can’t. Sure churches do some charity work and they should have the right to claim no tax for that. Butt in the end when you analize it churches are profit making organization s and they should pay taxes like any other business.
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 963 Pts   -  
    Barnardot said:
    @jack I throughly agree with you that churches should pay taxes but I don’t think there should be a deal because how can you govern keeping out of politics? You can’t. Sure churches do some charity work and they should have the right to claim no tax for that. Butt in the end when you analize it churches are profit making organization s and they should pay taxes like any other business.
    Jack and Bernie, why should churches be treated differently than other nonprofit organizations that are also tax exempt?  Are you going to tax the Red Cross, St. Jude's Hospital, ACLU, Wounded Warriors, or Habitat for Humanity too?  If not it seems to me that your motives are based on bigotry towards people of faith.  

Since churches are nonprofit how do you delineate what you would say is charitable work and what is not?  Again, this seems incredibly bigoted.  

Are you aware of just how much charitable assistance is religious based in the US?  Half of all homeless shelters are religious.  Half of all orphanages are religious.  A majority of free medical care clinics are religiously run.  Most transitional housing for prisoners are religious.  Most job placement programs for excons are religiously based.  Most food pantries are religious.  The vast majority of 12 step programs like AA and NA are run by religious groups. Half of all foreign assistance for poor countries comes from religious groups, in fact more money goes to help poor countries from churches, than comes from the government.  Most of the Christmas programs to help underprivileged kids comes from religious organizations.  What do you think would happen if these religious groups are taxed?  Is your hate really more important than the immense damage it would cause?
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited February 5

Since churches are nonprofit how do you delineate what you would say is charitable work and what is not?  Again, this seems incredibly bigoted.
    Hello again, just:

Nahh..  I'm a believer in charitable work.  However, 501c3 charitable institutions need to PROVE they're charitable.  Church's don't..  They're given the exemption automatically.  That ain't right.

excon
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot ; All religions, including the demonic such as atheism, secular humanism, should have voice.