frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Pets and family

Debate Information

Hello:

What do you do when a beloved family member is poisoning her dog?  She feeds her as much Jimmy Dean sausages as she can eat, and never gets real dog food.  The dog is obese and can hardly walk.

I LOVE the dog, and I LOVE my family.  Is it MY business?

excon

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    @jack

Hi Jack.

Maybe it's not what they feed their dog but how much. I doubt dog food alone would help with the dog's obesity but common sense tells us not to feed our pets as well as ourselves as much as our pets can eat. Gluttony seems more the immediate issue of concern here.
    jackjust_sayin
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  

Hi, dogs are descendant from wolves and evolutionary adapted to binge eat, "woof down the food." Some breeds are more predisposed to this some dachshunds for example are known to eat and eat until they die, there a special term for this I forgot.

The idea is if a pack of wolves kills a deer, there may be a long time before they can eat again, therefore the risk of starvation is much greater than obesity and they eat all the can. Make sure the dog gets enough exercise, you may not be able to control what others feed the dog, but you can ensure lack of exercise isn't the reason for obesity.

Ask a veterinarian honestly, most recommend only Purina dog chow. Yet, I wouldn't use the word poisoning. After-all- there are people who do travel around mass poisoning and killing pets.

I recommend watching a few Caesar Milan Dog Whisper to show the both physical and mental benefits dogs enjoy from exercise and walking. I doubt the ASPCA would see this is abuse, there are far more serious cases including neglect and dog fighting they are worried about.