frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Was Everything Made by Accident?

Debate Information

Position: Against

How did our universe and everything in it come to be? This is a top question for not only the general population but for many, if not all, of the greatest minds in our world. Throughout the world and generation after generation, the answer to this question has been sought after. For many, it is believed that the answer has been discovered. Two of the most common views that are posited today rest on the theory of evolution, and the theory of intelligent design. In short, the theory of evolution argues that our universe is the object of pure chance and that over billions and billions of years, it has evolved into what we see today. There was no precision, only explosions that caused everything to miraculously fall right into place to begin the processes necessary to create everything we see today. Evolutionists argue that because of the time allowed, of billions and billions of years, it is possible that everything did eventually fall into place right where it needed to in order for the evolution process to begin. Now I am not a biologist or scientist of any kind. I am no mathematician, but even to a simple mind like mine, this theory brings to light a lot of questions. Now I will openly point out that I am a Christian. I do believe in the God of the Holy Bible. But as the typical American boy, I grew up in the public school system where the theory of evolution was the only one I was taught, It was the only one embedded into my mind (not that I had a choice or anything). However, as I had gained a general idea of the theory of evolution, the basis on which it stands simply did not make sense to me. How can something be created out of nothing and that nothing became not only something, but it became a universe that has so much intricacy and precision weaved through its every organism, atom, and any other element it needs to survive? Without even having the Bible in mind, one can see that this seems extremely far-fetched. The chances of this happening According to Donald Page is 10{10}(123), and to even write out this complete number would take longer than the time evolutionists believe we have been on this earth.

To understand the precision and complexity that I am speaking of think about the fact that if Earth were 1 percent closer to the sun we would all burn to death and our oceans would dry out. If we were 2 percent farther from the sun, the oceans would completely freeze and life on Earth would be uninhabitable. Our ozone layer provides the perfect amount of UV rays to make their way to the surface of the Earth so that our vegetation does not die but provides the plants with exactly what they need to provide us oxygen. There are honestly too many examples that we could go over to demonstrate the precision and complexity of things in our universe. So much so that it is just inconceivable how anyone could believe that it all just happened by chance. The most logical answer as to how something so precise and intentional was created is that it was created by a designer, a very intelligent designer at that. Design means that everything was made through the purposeful arrangement of parts, just like a watch and just like we are discovering throughout our universe. We see arrangement, purpose, and intentionality when looking at the design of our universe, and so much of it points to the sustainment of planet Earth. The only planet that mankind is able to inhabit (which brings to light the question of purpose, but that is a debate for another time).  

I love how philosopher Peter Kreeft used this illustration. He “envisions two scientists having an interesting conversation after NASA’s first moon launch. When the first moon rocket took off from Cape Canaveral, two US scientists stood watching it, side by side. One was a believer, the other an unbeliever. The believer said, ‘isn’t it wonderful that our rocket is going to hit the moon by chance?’ the unbeliever objected, ‘What do you mean, chance? We put millions of man hours of design into that rocket.’ ‘Oh,’ said the believer, ‘You don’t think chance is a good explanation for the rocket? Then why do you think it’s a good explanation for the universe? There’s much more design in the universe than a rocket. We can design a rocket, but we couldn’t design a whole universe, I wonder who can?’”

Now I mentioned the basic understanding of evolution and I am well aware that there is so much more that goes into developing the understanding of the science used for evolution, however, after the research that I have done to gain a better understanding of the evolution theory I have continued to find more and more holes in it (which will be discussed further) that, for me strengthen the intelligent design argument as being the only logical answer to the creation of the universe.

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: Factfinder

Rounds: 2

Time Per Round: 12 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    FactfinderFactfinder 801 Pts   -  
    @Jweishuhn

The holes in knowledge pertaining to our existence and the universe are vast, that is true. However they are shrinking in number and size as science discovers and advances its knowledge base. Explain the logic of thinking a god fine tuned this small insignificant area of the universe specifically to create beings to worship it while creating a vast expanse of space we would never see and it would never need to explain it? Why? There is no logical reason so I submit the answers of life lie in nature, not fantasy.
    just_sayin
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    JweishuhnJweishuhn 22 Pts   -  
    @Factfinder

As to why God would choose to create such a massive universe is not what is in question, but I will provide why I believe this might be the case. As a believer, I believe there is no greater being than God, and part of that reason is because of what I believe He has created. The mass expanse of space to me is just a testament to how mighty and powerful He is. You might find those beliefs to be "fantasy", but as you have mentioned, science has progressed therefore there have been more findings that strengthen the intelligent design theory, and in turn weaken the evolution theory. 

More and more scientific evidence is bringing to light the very thing that Darwin himself said would cause his theory to unravel. We are discovering that there are great numbers of "irreducibly complex" systems within the very creatures that are believed to be the product of evolution. Most commonly there is the eye. Why does this throw a wrench into the evolution theory because as Charles Darwin attests to in On the Origins of Species: "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely breakdown." Darwin also knew that eye was going to be a challenge for this as he also stated in one of his personal letters, "The eye to this day gives me a cold shutter." This is because the eye is an irreducibly complex system. If the eye were something that followed the rigorous steps of evolution, then that means it would have never fully functioned until it was complete with a lens, retina, tear ducts, ocular muscles and so many other components. If even one component is missing the eye does not function successfully. There is also Cilium that is a irreducibly complex system. In order for humans to eliminate mucus from their throats for example, cilium is needed and everything that make ciliary motion work properly. Components such as microtubules, motor, and linkers. In addition when looking at other creatures, look at the Giraffe, the brain of the giraffe is so complex and specific to it species that there has yet to be found any previous species that the giraffe could had evolved from.

These are just a couple of several examples that show evidence against evolution.

Do you agree that everything in the universe is very precise and complex and if so can you explain to me how and why you feel that it is logical to think that all of that precision and intricacy is the product of chance, and without any kind of purpose?

• Round 2 | Position: For
    FactfinderFactfinder 801 Pts   -  
    Jweishuhn said:
    @Factfinder

As to why God would choose to create such a massive universe is not what is in question, but I will provide why I believe this might be the case. As a believer, I believe there is no greater being than God, and part of that reason is because of what I believe He has created. The mass expanse of space to me is just a testament to how mighty and powerful He is. You might find those beliefs to be "fantasy", but as you have mentioned, science has progressed therefore there have been more findings that strengthen the intelligent design theory, and in turn weaken the evolution theory. 

More and more scientific evidence is bringing to light the very thing that Darwin himself said would cause his theory to unravel. We are discovering that there are great numbers of "irreducibly complex" systems within the very creatures that are believed to be the product of evolution. Most commonly there is the eye. Why does this throw a wrench into the evolution theory because as Charles Darwin attests to in On the Origins of Species: "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely breakdown." Darwin also knew that eye was going to be a challenge for this as he also stated in one of his personal letters, "The eye to this day gives me a cold shutter." This is because the eye is an irreducibly complex system. If the eye were something that followed the rigorous steps of evolution, then that means it would have never fully functioned until it was complete with a lens, retina, tear ducts, ocular muscles and so many other components. If even one component is missing the eye does not function successfully. There is also Cilium that is a irreducibly complex system. In order for humans to eliminate mucus from their throats for example, cilium is needed and everything that make ciliary motion work properly. Components such as microtubules, motor, and linkers. In addition when looking at other creatures, look at the Giraffe, the brain of the giraffe is so complex and specific to it species that there has yet to be found any previous species that the giraffe could had evolved from.

These are just a couple of several examples that show evidence against evolution.

Do you agree that everything in the universe is very precise and complex and if so can you explain to me how and why you feel that it is logical to think that all of that precision and intricacy is the product of chance, and without any kind of purpose?

Being a "believer" doesn't give you special insight in matters of reality. What we have discovered the universe consist of matter, force and time. No sign of an intelligence manipulating things. Different environments exist in our experience however nothing suggest supernatural activity. Your faith is a matter of personal conviction, not a basis to define reality.

Well the eye isn't much of a problem at all as far as evolutionary theory is concerned. Different parts of the eye adapted and evolved at different times through a process called coadaptation. As far as giraffes are concerned they are a descendent of  Discokeryx xiezhi judging from fossils found in China. https://www.popsci.com/environment/giraffe-neck-evolution/ To this day Darwin's theory hasn't been disproved.

Define your use of "just a couple" as evidence of evolution surrounds us everyday. From the adaptive traits of the flu virus to paleontological finds, evolution abounds. 

No. There is no purpose. It just is.