frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Bacon Bad For You?

Debate Information

We keep getting reports from food experts saying that you can get cancer from eating bacon and other processed meets. Apparently its more the case with bacon because if you do it real crispy then it is more dangerous. So that means if you get a pizza with pepperoni on top then it is going to get crunchy in the oven so that might be a danger also.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DreamerDreamer 276 Pts   -  
    Most health food claims are over-hyped and therefore quackery. People then worry about the wrong priorities. I'm much more upset about how many people die from tobacco, alcohol, and vaccine preventable deaths.

Even more so the 2nd hand smoke from smoking. In other-words you might want to give up bacon for environmental reasons, but don't do it for your health it really does taste delicious.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 556 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer ;Most health food claims are over-hyped and therefore quackery.

I throughly agree with you there but your got to realize that those health food claims come from wacko greenie alternative nits who just jump on to loony ideas to suit there wacko point of views.

But what were looking at here is detailed research done by qualified scientists so I think we need to drop the BLT for a minute and listen to what those guys are saying.

Dreamer
  • DreamerDreamer 276 Pts   -  

I never understood the term processed meats. Why would bacon be worse than say a pork chop? I mean both are processed parts of a whole pig.
  • PutinPutin 107 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer
    He he he, that's right porker, nothing but a bunch of hyped up quackery, keep enjoying your lard sticks.
  • jackjack 515 Pts   -   edited June 12
    Hello:

Dupe.....

excon
  • jackjack 515 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Is Bacon Bad For You?

Hello B:

Nahhh..  If it's good TO ya, it's good FOR ya.

excon, and Trump is too
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6202 Pts   -  
    Everything comes in a package. I have not drunk alcohol in ages, but back in 2021, at the height of COVID, stuck in rural North Carolina without knowing a single human being within the radius of 100 miles, I was in a very lousy state of mind, and excessive drinking was what gave me enough space from the mental demons haunting me to keep carrying on. The claim that "alcohol is bad for you" makes no sense without the context provided, as well as the criterion of "badness" specified.

If you eat 10 kg of bacon in one sitting, you will likely die on the spot. If you eat one small and tasty piece of bacon, the emotional benefit of it will likely have a much bigger positive impact on your organism than any possible negative effects of digesting it. For you specifically, there is a sweet spot somewhere between these two, where the benefit is exactly compensated by the cost.

Dreamer said:

I never understood the term processed meats. Why would bacon be worse than say a pork chop? I mean both are processed parts of a whole pig.
    Typically the particular processing methods used, such as frying or baking, break down a lot of nutrients. As an extreme example, take a piece of pork loin and fry it until it turns into ashes: it will have zero useful nutrition and a lot of toxic elements. The less processed the piece of pork is, the more nutrients it will have untouched, giving you more control over how to cook it and what nutrients to extract from it.

On the other hand, just eating raw pork is... not exactly a great idea. Some processing is nearly mandatory. It is just that, in order to make the end product more palatable, most producers will do far more processing than is optimal. The bacon you are eating probably is not just a fried piece of pork: it is a strongly over-fried piece of pork, with a lot of salt and sugar added. Assuming you are just interested in the nutrients containing in the pork, probably less than 50% of this piece of bacon gives you that.

I recently realized that endless sugar crashes were destroying my productivity and decided to strongly cut it down. Imagine my surprise when I started reading the food labels carefully, looking for the added sugar... It is virtually everywhere. A slice of bread with 3g of added sugar, comprising something around 15% of the caloric value. I just want my goddamn bread: I can add sugar if I want, but I do not want anyone else to make this decision for me.

To summarize, processing itself is not necessarily a problem - it is just the particular types of processing producers use that can be problematic.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 556 Pts   -   edited June 13
    @Dreamer @MayCaesar ; I never understood the term processed meats. Why would bacon be worse than say a pork chop? I mean both are processed parts of a whole pig.
    I dont under stand it either. Because look at what Wikipedia says:
    Processed meat
     is considered to be any meat that has been modified in order to either improve its taste or to extend its shelf life. Methods of meat processing include saltingcuringfermentationsmoking, boiling, frying, and/or the addition of chemical preservatives.

Because it says that boiling or frying is modifying meat to improve its tase. So therefore the only things that you can eat safely is sashimi which is really yummo and steak tartare. Your just got to see this classic Mr Bean video 

Any way its not bad actually. I remember breaking open a pack of raw minced beef and tried feeding my dog some and he is all ways shy to try new things. So I let him watch me eat a little bit then off he went and ate it. The thing is so did I. It is actually really flavorsome and yummo. You just have to get used to the texture. Any way when my partner came home she complained that the hamburgers were so small and I just smiled.

@MayCaesar ;processing itself is not necessarily a problem - it is just the particular types of processing producers use that can be problematic.

Well that is reassuring because now I wont feel so guilty if I sit in the front of a Synagogue service and ho down on a bacon sandwitch :)

• FactfinderFactfinder 1033 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

There's nothing wrong with bacon. Superstitious religious folk may hate it but believe me when camping in the great outdoors bacon is he best favor to smell and taste. 
  • PutinPutin 107 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer @Factfinder
    Hmmm bacon. Oink oink.
    @Factfinder ;bacon is he best favor to smell and taste. 

Well your not doing your self a favor when all those carsinogens build up and you end up getting cancer because its just that there has been heaps of medical reports that show that bacon will do you in. So you might end up going camping wearing a colostomy bag and it wont be the bacon your going to smell then.

@Putin ;@Dreamer @Factfinder
    Hmmm bacon. Oink oink.

Well its all to do with the way that the pork is processed that makes it harmful. And theres no doubt in my mind that if you marinate it in Novichok then it will be real harmful.

• FactfinderFactfinder 1033 Pts   -   edited June 14
    Barnardot said:
    @Factfinder ;bacon is he best favor to smell and taste. 

Well your not doing your self a favor when all those carsinogens build up and you end up getting cancer because its just that there has been heaps of medical reports that show that bacon will do you in. So you might end up going camping wearing a colostomy bag and it wont be the bacon your going to smell then.

Ah but I'd die a happy man. Barring any colostomy bag that is. Tell me, what in this world isn't killing us?
    @Factfinder ;Ah but I'd die a happy man. Barring any colostomy bag that is. Tell me, what in this world isn't killing us?

Quite right there. I reckon that eating bacon every now and then is so beneficial for our mental health that it proberly out ways having to carry a round a shite bag every where you go.

But then be a goody goody all your life and see where that can get you. Just look at that TV Doctor guy in England Dr Mosley. He preached to every one about being healthy and eating the right foods then look what happens. He drops dead while on holiday.

RexTheDog
  • RexTheDogRexTheDog 19 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Everything in Moderation

@Barnardot nothing is bad for you in moderation, when the human body encounters something dangerous it gets to work overcoming it right away, take a look at Chernobyl not exactly 'livable' yet life there is thriving now, even a little human woman in her 80s is still living there, or the guy who life in Australia next to the abandons asbestos mine his lungs themselves have adopted and he can tolerate the proximity without PPE. it seems that provided we give out body's enough time and introduce the dangerous element incremental or in moderation out bodies will overcome and mitigate any negative side effects, the opposite would be eating an entire pigs worth of bacon in a week which would surly be a quicker path to negative health effects. strongly enough most 100 year-olds will say 'every thing in moderation' is the key reason for their longevity  
  • BarnardotBarnardot 556 Pts   -   edited June 15
    @RexTheDog ;nothing is bad for you in moderation.............. the opposite would be eating an entire pigs

I see where your coming from there with going from one exstream to the other and quoting on the exceptions rather than the rule but in realty we have to look at what exactly is going down about bacon. What the scientific research is showing is that if you have say only one or 2 bacon sandwitches in one week the chances of you ending up with a shite bag strapped to your waste are much higher than if say you eat a couple of tofu sandwitches a week.