frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should we stop judging people for unpopular opinions?

Debate Information

I think this is an important question to ask because I'm sick of people being judged for unpopular opinions.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    I think this is an important question to ask because I'm sick of people being judged for unpopular opinions.
    If you express an opinion, you should accept being judged for your opinion.  If you have an opinion, and you don't want to be judged for it...then just keep your mouth shut.
  • PepsiguyPepsiguy 109 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: It depends

If the unpopular opinion is something reasonable like "I think homosexuality is a sin" then yes, we should stop judging them

If the unpopular opinion is "Murder should be legal" it would be fair to judge them.

Either way, they both have freedom of speech.
    Nomenclature
  • @Pepsiguy I still think it's better to keep your mouth shut, even it's a harmful unpopular opinion. I had a friend who thought it was okay to kill people if they annoyed you, but I didn't say anything because I thought it would be wrong of me. I would just suggest not associating with those people anymore if they want to murder someone.
    Dreamer
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Clarification Request

@theinfectedmaster
    Could you clarify what you mean by "judging"?  Do you mean responding?  Insulting?  Arguing?  Countering?  Concluding?  Doubting?  Rejecting?  Distrusting?  Disbelieving?

If you say all of the above, then you don't believe in freedom of speech.
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Polarization of politics. Celebrity versus layperson anti-vaxxers.

A lot of unpopular opinions come down to politics. In group A your opinion will be popular and in group B unpopular. Anti-vaxx cuts across the political spectrum.

Many people shame anti-vaxxers. Shaming celebrities like Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey is good. They have the wealth to cushion them and their influence can harm a lot of people. The rank and file anti-vaxxers are victims of disinformation or misinformation. I think the layperson anti-vaxx should be treated with compassion, empathy, and kindness. :)
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer
    The rank and file anti-vaxxers are victims of disinformation or misinformation. I think the layperson anti-vaxx should be treated with compassion, empathy, and kindness.

I used to think so too, but the Covid debacle made me question if, on the latest occasion, it might be the other way around. 

What we got with Covid were experimental vaccines, which didn't provide biological immunity to the disease they were supposed to be vaccinations for, and people were being asked to attend for four different jabs. Vaccinations for things like smallpox have a proven track record, but even some doctors are now admitting the Covid vaccinations aren't very effective, and even potentially dangerous.

• @JulesKorngold Basically, it's when you yell at someone, and say that there , even if you think someone sounds . I think you should keep the opinion to yourself.