frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Atheism A Religion of Love and Peace?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 196 Pts   -  
    @maxx ; Atheism and Evolution are both religions and denominations of the religion of secular humanism, both serve the same god - Satan...both have a belief system - nihilism...both are comprised of queers, abortionists, Marxists, Progressives, Democrats....these are the evil and vile in our society.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6210 Pts   -  
    My religion is called Brainfuck. It is defined as religion incorporating all religions that do not incorporate themselves.

Extra credit to everyone who gets both references.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 556 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;My religion is called Brainfuck. It is defined as religion incorporating all religions that do not incorporate themselves.
    Extra credit to everyone who gets both references.

Hay, I want to be a member for sure.

• BarnardotBarnardot 556 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw ;Atheism and Evolution are both religions

What you need to get your head a round is that you are trying to judge and categorize things according to your standards to make what you believe credible.

Just because you belong to a nutty wired belief it doesnt mean that every one else has a belief and at that that belief being horrible.

Translated in to common English what you are really saying is: I have a belief and because I have a belief every one else has an opposite belief.

Which doesnt make any sents at all does it?

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -   edited June 8
    you know, if you can not use science, logic or at least reason in your debates, then all you are doing is making senseless claims. Atheists do not follow satan for they do not believe in satan. Now prove that wrong. They do not believe in any deities at all. What you are trying to say is that they follow principles that humans consider bad or sinful. Who is without sin, cast the first stone rick.By your reasoning; and i use the word loosely, You may as well say since i give toys to a children's charity, then i must believe in santa claus. A belief that no deities exist does not make a religion.I think you need a brain scrub befor you get any worse. Atheists have no beliefs in any god, nor any devils. A non belief in any supernatural personal, is not a religion. I asked you twice to show me how atheism applies to the definition of religion in which you failed to do so. Atheism is a state of mind, nothing more. Now one more time; look up the definition of religion and apply the points to atheism. one by one. Or are you simply going to let reason, and logic go out the window and continue to look foolish? This is a debate site rick; not a sounding board. I do not want your editorial; anyone can give an opinion. I want yu to look up the definition of religion and apply the points to atheism. @RickeyHoltsclaw
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 196 Pts   -   edited June 8
    @maxx ;  Atheists are societal sc-um...these are the abortion advocates who lather over the mutilation of babies; atheists are the mentally and spiritually ill perverts of LGBTQ; atheists are hoards of demons who promulgate the horrors of Marxism i.e., Progressivism; atheists are those who clamor for open borders to provide the insanity of the Democrat Party power in perpetuity; Atheists are those who advocate for transexualism and sex-change demonism forced upon our children....you are a representative of this demonic hoard....you are "without excuse" as atheism is a lie...IT DOES NOT EXIST...atheism is a facade for the perverse, the wicked, those bound to Hell in their self-defilement and arrogance. Atheism is a RELIGION of SECULAR HUMANISM...it is demonic deception at its root....you and @Factfinder @Jack ; @21CenturyIconoclast ; @JulesKorngold ; @Joeseph @Barnardot are all of the same wicked and vile hoard.

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    kind of generalizing are you not? There are good atheists and bad ones, just like there are bad and good christains. now where is your proof that athism is a religion? @RickeyHoltsclaw
    @maxx ; Atheists are servants of Satan...these are the evil, the thugs, the abortion advocates, the LGBTQ perverts, the transsexual demons to push their demonic deathstyle on children....these are the antisemitic demons....there is nothing good about the facade of atheism and the atheist, a rebellious, arrogant, insolent, hoard of demons. 

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -   edited June 11
    you know rick, i can not debate with you if you have no logic at all. one has to believe in satan to be his servant. I also know many atheists who are morally better than most christains. They are not evil, they work hard, have nice families, and give to charities, and in general, are peaceful loving folks. So quit your dumb generalizing. i aske you many times to look the definition of religion up as well, and apply it to atheism in which you refuse to do so. another problem here, is you seem to believe satan created atheists. satan does not have any creational powers.  He can not create anything. As far as im concerned you have no logic or reasoning at all in this debate. you can rant and rave all you want, throw out posters, and cheap editorials; however none of that has any proof at all. learn to debate rick.  @RickeyHoltsclaw
    @maxx ; @Factfinder ; @Joeseph ; @JulesKorngold ; @Jack ; @MayCaesar   What are you going to debate, atheist....how you people advocate for the murder of babies in the womb; advocate LGBTQ perversion forced upon our children; open borders killing our people and our Nation; a weaponized "Progressive" "deep state" bureaucracy running headlong into Marxism; green energy initiatives that destroying our economy and bankrupting the middle class based on the lies and deceit of "man induced" climate change; the lies and deceit and perversion that flows from the democrat-progressive party....what exactly do you want to debate, you foolish atheist? There is no debating the Devil...you ARE the Devil's son.

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    i simply cant debate someone who tosses reason and evidence out the window. i really expected better of you. @RickeyHoltsclaw
  • JoesephJoeseph 830 Pts   -  
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 1132 Pts   -   edited June 12
    @maxx
    Atheists do not follow satan for they do not believe in satan. Now prove that wrong. 

Anton LeVay, who founded the Church of Satan was an outspoken atheist.  He claimed the church of Satan was an atheistic religion.  Here's a picture of Anton at a Satanist black mass - they are preparing to take their blood communion.

Maxx, I can't help but notice that his official unholy garments have devil horns.  The image isn't really helping your argument. LOL  For a guy who is an atheist, LeVay sure does seem to like and worship Satan. I'm just sayin

More seriously, LeVay did not believe in a literal Satan, but was committed to the principles of Satan - greed, selfishness, pride, anger, and hurting those before they can hurt you.  While LeVay would not recognize the existence of Satan, if Satan does exist, then LeVay lived his life as follower, even if he did not believe in a literal Devil.

Factfinder
    I have to admit that every time I drink my morning coffee, I praise Satan. In China over a billion of non-religious people do the same, hiding it from the commies (who do the same as well behind the closed doors). Long before the Bible existed, Sumers did that too: they telepathically connected with the post-Biblical generations, learned the word "Satan" from there and started invoking it.
    Factfinder
  • maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    you guys are generalizing. you grab a couple of atheists who are in some sort of cult, and deem that for all atheists. That is like saying all Christians engage in holy wars where they maim  and kill innocent people. Religion belongs to the religious; it is not among the general population of atheists. I know both Christians and atheists and while i am sure there are many bad atheists with the wrong lifestyle, morals and ideas, the same holds true for Christians.  I know quite of number of atheists who engage in better morals and values than many Christians do. do not nit pick at my responses and grab one line. I have asked many times to read the definition of what a religion is and then apply that definition to Christians.  @just_sayin
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 1132 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    you guys are generalizing. you grab a couple of atheists who are in some sort of cult, and deem that for all atheists. That is like saying all Christians engage in holy wars where they maim  and kill innocent people. Religion belongs to the religious; it is not among the general population of atheists. I know both Christians and atheists and while i am sure there are many bad atheists with the wrong lifestyle, morals and ideas, the same holds true for Christians.  I know quite of number of atheists who engage in better morals and values than many Christians do. do not nit pick at my responses and grab one line. I have asked many times to read the definition of what a religion is and then apply that definition to Christians.  @just_sayin
    Maxx, I am having some fun with you.  You got to admit the atheist in the Devil costume drinking blood offered to Satan is funny. I think you are missing what Rickey is actually saying.  He isn't saying that you think Satan is real or that you are secretly having Black mass ceremonies.  He isn't even saying you have no morals.  He is essentially agreeing with what Anton LeVay claimed: atheists are following 'Satanic' principles by putting their own interests before those of God or anyone else's. Atheists are living their lives as if they are their own God.  If Satan is real, then the life that the atheist lives makes him happy. In that since, both Rickey and Anton LeVay are right.  
    RickeyHoltsclaw
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 196 Pts   -   edited June 13
    @MayCaesar ; No worries, in your atheism, subsequent your last exhalation in Time, you too will find a fate similar to that of your spiritual father, Satan...maybe you will rejoice with him at adjudication (Revelation 20:10-15)...all because you think yourself wiser than our Creator and too proud and arrogant to humble yourself before Him by faith.

maxx said:

I know quite of number of atheists who engage in better morals and values than many Christians do.
    According to Jordan Peterson, all of those people are actually theists. See how it works: anyone who has high morals we will call a Christian, and everyone else is not a true Christian. This way we automatically make all Christians morally superior to all non-Christians. ;)
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 196 Pts   -   edited June 13
    @MayCaesar ; @maxx ; Even a blind squirrel finds a nut by chance...when an atheist expresses morality, they do so out of pride or a sense of charity that makes them "feel good" about them self. Atheists are fools...unpredictable...most are cowards and their only lawfulness is due their fear of apprehension...they are a loathsome people. These are the democrat-progressive-abortionist-LGBTQ pervert in our society...

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -   edited June 14
    i understand. first he is still saying it is a religion. no it is not. Also he groups all atheists together, which is not right. Some atheists may follow the "principles of what satan represents, but they do not do so because they follow satan; rather they simply lack certain morals and values. some of them do that is. By ricks "reasoning" he may as well state that since a few pairs of shoes hurt peoples feet, then all shoes must.  Listen to what he is saying; he has no evidence nor logic. He refuses to address my points, nor will he apply the definition of what religion is to atheists as a whole.  another thing here, religion is a cult, cults are also sub religions; so if an "atheists engages in a cult, then he is not an atheists, for they do not believe in "any" supernatural deity @just_sayin
  • FactfinderFactfinder 1045 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut by chance...when an atheist expresses morality, they do so out of pride or a sense of charity that makes them "feel good"

Like your faith in make believe, you're proud to do that because it allows you to commit the crimes you did in Houston and still go to heaven according to your fairytale elf book lure. 

The Flat-Footed Failure of Flat Earth Christianity  Veracity

@Factfinder ; @21CenturyIconoclast ; @JulesKorngold ; @Joeseph   When you die as an atheist, your spirit will be ushered into Hades/Sheol-Torments (Luke 16) where you will be detained until the Judgement of the Condemned (Rev 20:11-15) at which time you will receive a resurrected body of corruption and stand before Jesus Christ for adjudication, you will be adjudicated "guilty" for your sin and you will subsequently perish in the "second death" in Lake of Fire; this, because you rejected the forgiveness of sin offered you by faith in Jesus our Messiah (John 3) and your unrepentant sin will NOT be permitted to enter the Kingdom of Elohim (Revelation 21:27).

• maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    and suddenly the entire world becomes a right wing Christain like yourself rick. Do you think the world is in better shape because of it? Suddenly everyone gets along, no more wars, strife, crimes, poverty, racism?   Your brain is residing in a dream world. There are good and bad in everyone. You put atheisits in one group and think that they are all the same. You are doing nothing at all but ranting and raving, with no logic no proof, and no evidence. You are not here to debate; you just want to scream and yell your views. @RickeyHoltsclaw
    Factfinder
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut by chance...when an atheist expresses morality, they do so out of pride or a sense of charity that makes them "feel good"

Like your faith in make believe, you're proud to do that because it allows you to commit the crimes you did in Houston and still go to heaven according to your fairytale elf book lure. 

Flat earth theories are myths.  Ancient people did not believe that.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

@Factfinder, have you considered that your raging anger at God may make you say and believe lies and falsehoods about what people of faith actually believe?  
    RickeyHoltsclaw
    @maxx ;  If the World honored Jesus, there would be peace and hope and a future...the World hates Jesus and is therefore dying in sin and hopelessness. The United States and its Constitutional Republic is wholly dependent upon the majority of the citizenry having been redeemed by faith in Jesus and having received the Holy Spirit as their arbiter of a redeemed conscience that desires the things of Elohim, to please Him and honor Him in daily moral living...our Founder's knew that there was no other way for a Nation predicted upon a very limited Federal Government with minimal intrusions into the daily life of its citizens could exist, be maintained and sustained apart from Jesus as King. Freedom from fascism requires the Holy Spirit as Arbiter of the conscience; otherwise, chaos reigns and our Nation falters and dies away...this is happening today...and you and your atheistic ilk are the root of our demise.

• FactfinderFactfinder 1045 Pts   -   edited June 14
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Flat earth theories are myths.  Ancient people did not believe that.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

@Factfinder, have you considered that your raging anger at God may make you say and believe lies and falsehoods about what people of faith actually believe?  

"Flat Earth is an archaic and scientifically disproven conception of the Earth's shape as a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat-Earth cosmography, notably including ancient near eastern cosmology
     "However, most pre-Socratics (6th–5th century BC) retained the flat-Earth model"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

The bible is suspected of original writings as far back as well " the bible as a whole is over 3,400 years old if you consider when it began to be written..."  "Genesis was the first book to be written down. This would have happened around 1450 BC to 1400 BC." https://bigthink.com/thinking/how-old-is-the-bible/

Do the math, your religion was all into flat earth cosmology. Why do you lie? If you believe be honest, admit you believe blindly. That's what your god requires hence the circular reasoning 'don't worry it is stoopid on the outside but not to you, just believe' biblical advice. Look at a rock, see god. That's what you believe, you even point to scripture like in romans sayin we are without excuse if we don't do the same. No my friend it is you believing lies and feeling unnerved at the realization of that fact. Another fact: During the time of Genesis most of the world retained the flat earth model which is why the ignorant scribes wrote what they wrote which led people to believe...

• RexTheDogRexTheDog 19 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Atheism is a denial of existence itself

When an atheist considers non existence what do they see? often the answer is 'nothing' or 'lights out forever' this is a denial of the state of existence they have themselves lived through. 100 years before an atheist is born they are in this state of non-existence yet somehow they have seemingly emerged from this state of non-existence in to existence, to then proceed back in to non existence upon death. when thinking about the science of fluke biological emergence one has to also consider the science of fluke big bang 100 years before the big bang what 'existed' 100 years before existence itself existed what existed? as we emerge from non existence in to existence in our billions the question has to be logically asked, what prompted existence itself to exist? I look forward to an atheists response to this question all i can logiclly conclude is that somthing made the decision to exist way back when otherwise nothing would exist by default.    
    RexTheDog said:
    When an atheist considers non existence what do they see? often the answer is 'nothing' or 'lights out forever' this is a denial of the state of existence they have themselves lived through. 100 years before an atheist is born they are in this state of non-existence yet somehow they have seemingly emerged from this state of non-existence in to existence, to then proceed back in to non existence upon death. when thinking about the science of fluke biological emergence one has to also consider the science of fluke big bang 100 years before the big bang what 'existed' 100 years before existence itself existed what existed? as we emerge from non existence in to existence in our billions the question has to be logically asked, what prompted existence itself to exist? I look forward to an atheists response to this question all i can logiclly conclude is that somthing made the decision to exist way back when otherwise nothing would exist by default.    
    The typical atheist response would be 'we don't know' when it comes to before the big bang or "existence" as you put it. But invoking an unprovable, undetectable agent to have created "existence" defies logic as it couldn't exist if absolutely nothing existed. I as an atheist no longer believe that (undetectable creator) is a viable option. 
  • maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -   edited June 15
    YOU SEEM TO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE UNIVEWRSE BEING IN EXISTENCE IN SOME FORM OR OTHER; IN A STATE OF PERPETUAL CONTINUED EXISTENCE; CREATING ITSELF AND LASTING FOREVER IN SOME WAY OT THE OTHER; YET YOU GLEEFULLY ACCEPT SOME MAGIC DADDY EXISTING FOREVER. @RexTheDog ; SORRY FOR Caps. did not realize they were on.
  • RexTheDogRexTheDog 19 Pts   -   edited June 15
    I get you however in order to create 'itself' it has to be a 'self' imagine viewing the entire universe in movement from the outside perspective, this would be a mass of beautiful matter moving in some form of symphony to a set of definable rules against a vast expanse of nothingness, strangely enough on one of what appears to be the grains of sand that make up this overall universal picture is a tiny little creature called life, life that's aware of itself and its relative place within the universe. looking at the universe as a whole from the outside what exactly are we looking at? could this entity in its entirety be described as God? what ever it is it is certainly as you have said creating itself out of pure nothingness which in itself is only describable as magic as we have no science that explains this accurately or otherwise. when people contemplate God as everything everywhere this is what they mean.    
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 1132 Pts   -   edited June 15
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

"Flat Earth is an archaic and scientifically disproven conception of the Earth's shape as a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat-Earth cosmography, notably including ancient near eastern cosmology
     "However, most pre-Socratics (6th–5th century BC) retained the flat-Earth model"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

The bible is suspected of original writings as far back as well " the bible as a whole is over 3,400 years old if you consider when it began to be written..."  "Genesis was the first book to be written down. This would have happened around 1450 BC to 1400 BC." https://bigthink.com/thinking/how-old-is-the-bible/

Do the math, your religion was all into flat earth cosmology. Why do you lie? If you believe be honest, admit you believe blindly. That's what your god requires hence the circular reasoning 'don't worry it is stoopid on the outside but not to you, just believe' biblical advice. Look at a rock, see god. That's what you believe, you even point to scripture like in romans sayin we are without excuse if we don't do the same. No my friend it is you believing lies and feeling unnerved at the realization of that fact. Another fact: During the time of Genesis most of the world retained the flat earth model which is why the ignorant scribes wrote what they wrote which led people to believe...

The Bible doesn't comment on the shape of the earth.  There are idiomatic expressions such as the four corners of the earth (which is just saying all directions) and the pillars of the earth were shaken (but it is not claiming that the earth is on stilts, its just figurative language).  

You did not provide evidence for your claim.. 

If you want to live your life, like Satan in Dante's Inferno, raging at God with your fist in the air and your 3 faces shouting curses - no one can stop you.  But we do pray for you. 
    RexTheDog said:
    All of these arguments defeat themselves. There are two conclusions they can arrive at: either there is infinite regress, or not. If there is infinite regress, then the idea of the causal origin of everything makes no sense. And if there is no infinite regress and there is an origin, then said origin has no cause - but that implies that not everything in this world must have a cause, in which case there is no reason to assume that something existing at all has to have a cause either. If "god" or whatever has always "just existed" with no cause whatsoever, then I can just as well say that the Universe has always "just existed" with no cause whatsoever. A simple example of such a Universe would be the "repeated Big Bang" Universe, which expands, then shrinks, then expands, then shrinks, never beginning and never ending. Or perhaps the Universe is embedded into a larger metauniverse that causes Big Bangs to appear all over the place, but itself has always "just existed".

I have never run into a theistic argument that cannot be turned around and made to support atheism. All of them seem to rely on the person ending their inquiry right there and not seeing where else this argument may lead. In general, religion relies on one's unwillingness to think too hard and deep, I think.
  • maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    so what's the difference; aside from the fact you need to employ the rules of quantum mechanics. The universe does not have to be a conscious self in order to have created itself. If you even have a general layman's view of how quantum mechanics work, then you may understand. Everything is made of particles, and it is these elementary particles that were or rather came into existence first. The universe did not suddenly exist as we see it today full of matter; matter came about because of these particles. The universe is only huge in comparison to the minute size that we are. That is why the big bang seemed instant to us, because of our perspective; if one were an observer from outside the universe, at a much larger size, then the big bang would have been much more gradual; probably at the rate of a seed sprouting. Particles do indeed pop in and out of existence in our universe. So i would rather believe that particles created the universe from nothing. If there is a creator of sorts, it is not any of the gods we have on earth; more than likely it would be some  vastly intelligent scientists who created our universe as some sort of experiment, or game. @RexTheDog
    RexTheDog
  • RexTheDogRexTheDog 19 Pts   -  
    you are right when you say  'The universe does not have to be a conscious self in order to have created itself' it could very well be a random fluke, the idea of duality is tuned to produce exactly such flukes. when we look at the universe in its entirety as one whole 'object' of sorts we can say for certain it is moving. now lets zoom in on that for a second, we will go right down to the fundamental particle level and imagine a hypothetical scenario where we have isolated a single particle in space time to observe, say we observe it just as it popped in to existence and track it from then onwards 2 things have happened thus far .. it has popped in to existence and it is just sitting here existing now, oh look to the right here comes another particle on a collision course, now our tracked particle has to do something does it wait to he struck or does it move out of the way? in a non-conscious universe it has no decision making consciousness telling it to move out of the way so let continue to track it with this assumption .. the new particle collides with it, at the moment of collision an action meets an equal and opposite reaction, now our particles electron field has been all muddled up and the nucleus starts to get excited by the heat of the interaction, as it starts to destabilase unfortunately for our little particle its electrons abandon it and it begins to decay back in to the nothingness from which it came. this perfectly logical and scientific scenario for an unconscious universe still throughs up some big questions though for example:

What causes the particles to decide to interact with each other? in popping in to existence they can also pop out and often do.

what is making the decision to pop in and pop out? to come in to existence without physical movement (effectively at the quantum level particles can seemingly just arrive in to existence) this requires a self aware decision to be made as without self awareness why pop anywhere at all why not just stay still there's no consciousness telling you to move what's the driver that cause the pop?, to make a decision requires a consciousness, all objects that move of their own accord have to be moving for a reason, the default is no conscious thought to tell objects to move so they simply don't as there is no reason to.

what's strangest of all is that all matter existent now came to be via this process, once there was nothing then 'Pop' now there is a massive something somewhere oh and its constantly moving, and to be fair beautifully so. from the outside looking in a mass of a bazillion particles moving somewhere as a whole has to either have on of 2 possible driving forces either something bigger is moving against it causing it to react with its own movement or it is a consciously yet abstract entity moving of its own accord.

if there is something bigger, what the heck is it? if its God the we are barnacles on Gods back. the deeper you dig the more questions come up. to consider the universe unconscious is to consider ourselves unconscious along with it, yet here we are conscious and contemplating it by describing an idea that's in our non existent imagination drawing information from this space in to existence, in some cases crafting the matter around us in support of these imaginary ideas. say we pop out of existence as some atheists believe, that's fine but what cause you to come in to existence in the first place, ah yes the pop, what's stopping you from popping in again? and most importantly of all where are you before you pop in to existence? that space is where the decision to exist is made, decisions cant be made without a consciousness so what ever occupies that space has to be .. Alive, if it was not alive a state of pure nothing it still doesn't stop life from existing as proofed by us here and now. at a universal level we just popped here then started moving about becoming more complex with age, that's pretty much a life form being born and growing upward and outward. 

all being said we wont truly know what's what until we pop out again or ... go home?          

@just_sayin ;

The Bible doesn't comment on the shape of the earth.  There are idiomatic expressions such as the four corners of the earth (which is just saying all directions) and the pillars of the earth were shaken (but it is not claiming that the earth is on stilts, its just figurative language). 

Figurative language that accurately depicts the level of understanding where the message being delivered can be comprehended. In 1 Samuel 2 Hanna is praying to god saying things like 'the lord raises beggars out of the dunghill'  Beggars and dunghills are literal points of reference that Hanna knew and therefore could conceive of her god doing that. As she continues in prayer in verse 8 she touches on something she's not so sure about albeit she strongly believes god is the stabilizing force so she uses metaphoric language. "for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.” This metaphoric phrase reveals her understanding of her surroundings. If it were not so she would have said what actually held the planet in place and revealed her god with accuracy as she did with beggars and dunghills. Job in 9:6 used the term "pillars" Supporting the same biblical view. 

You are in error again when you claim the bible doesn't comment on the shape of the earth. In the time of Isaiah they believed the earth was a circular disc with the "curtain" being like a tent spread over it...

Isaiah 40:22:  "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

Again metaphoric language is used to express the level of understanding; not knowing how gravitational forces and physics worked or how vast space is. They wrote what made sense to them just as it appeared the sun rose and set everyday. All these bodies of space mass to them (as they do us today) looked like flat discs with the naked eye. Ask yourself, if biblical authors understood what exactly held space in place and the true shapes of planetary bodies why would they never say so? Why only use metaphors? Fact: when it came to worshipping craven images everyone knew exactly what they were so they were told what literally not to do, no analogy or metaphors needed to get their message across.

You did not provide evidence for your claim.. 

I provided evidence from the same source (Wikipedia) you used only you misunderstood exactly what was said and didn't think about the age of the bible. Then I provided a second source for evidence to drive the point home. Which you're dodging now.

If you want to live your life, like Satan in Dante's Inferno, raging at God with your fist in the air and your 3 faces shouting curses - no one can stop you.  But we do pray for you. 

You must envision me pounding the keys on my keyboard yelling at an imaginary god when I respond? If that helps you feel secure in your faith that's okay however it does prevent honest intelligent dialog. 

Does the Bible describe Earth not as a sphere but as a disc  Kialo

RexTheDog said:
    you are right when you say  'The universe does not have to be a conscious self in order to have created itself' it could very well be a random fluke, the idea of duality is tuned to produce exactly such flukes. when we look at the universe in its entirety as one whole 'object' of sorts we can say for certain it is moving. now lets zoom in on that for a second, we will go right down to the fundamental particle level and imagine a hypothetical scenario where we have isolated a single particle in space time to observe, say we observe it just as it popped in to existence and track it from then onwards 2 things have happened thus far .. it has popped in to existence and it is just sitting here existing now, oh look to the right here comes another particle on a collision course, now our tracked particle has to do something does it wait to he struck or does it move out of the way? in a non-conscious universe it has no decision making consciousness telling it to move out of the way so let continue to track it with this assumption .. the new particle collides with it, at the moment of collision an action meets an equal and opposite reaction, now our particles electron field has been all muddled up and the nucleus starts to get excited by the heat of the interaction, as it starts to destabilase unfortunately for our little particle its electrons abandon it and it begins to decay back in to the nothingness from which it came. this perfectly logical and scientific scenario for an unconscious universe still throughs up some big questions though for example:

What causes the particles to decide to interact with each other? in popping in to existence they can also pop out and often do.

what is making the decision to pop in and pop out? to come in to existence without physical movement (effectively at the quantum level particles can seemingly just arrive in to existence) this requires a self aware decision to be made as without self awareness why pop anywhere at all why not just stay still there's no consciousness telling you to move what's the driver that cause the pop?, to make a decision requires a consciousness, all objects that move of their own accord have to be moving for a reason, the default is no conscious thought to tell objects to move so they simply don't as there is no reason to.

what's strangest of all is that all matter existent now came to be via this process, once there was nothing then 'Pop' now there is a massive something somewhere oh and its constantly moving, and to be fair beautifully so. from the outside looking in a mass of a bazillion particles moving somewhere as a whole has to either have on of 2 possible driving forces either something bigger is moving against it causing it to react with its own movement or it is a consciously yet abstract entity moving of its own accord.

if there is something bigger, what the heck is it? if its God the we are barnacles on Gods back. the deeper you dig the more questions come up. to consider the universe unconscious is to consider ourselves unconscious along with it, yet here we are conscious and contemplating it by describing an idea that's in our non existent imagination drawing information from this space in to existence, in some cases crafting the matter around us in support of these imaginary ideas. say we pop out of existence as some atheists believe, that's fine but what cause you to come in to existence in the first place, ah yes the pop, what's stopping you from popping in again? and most importantly of all where are you before you pop in to existence? that space is where the decision to exist is made, decisions cant be made without a consciousness so what ever occupies that space has to be .. Alive, if it was not alive a state of pure nothing it still doesn't stop life from existing as proofed by us here and now. at a universal level we just popped here then started moving about becoming more complex with age, that's pretty much a life form being born and growing upward and outward. 

all being said we wont truly know what's what until we pop out again or ... go home?          

Might as well say "Suppose god snapped its fingers and accomplished all it wanted bestowing all that is needed for legitimate, understanding, reciprocated relationships with it's sentient beings; without any need to create evil and sadistic eternal punishments?"  But we don't have that. We have gods with human qualities. Can you define your god or is it what you imagine when you imagine it? 
    @Factfinder
    I truly cringed when I read your 'interpretation' of Isaiah 40:22.  If it makes you feel any better, I would cringe if someone used this passage to suggest that the Bible taught the Earth was a sphere also.  The word used for 'circle' is frequently used to reference domed archways or bridges.  It just means the 'roof' or covering in this setting - aka - sky or heavens.  You just can't take idiomatic expressions (@Joseph - that means words and descriptions that have special meaning to native speakers and should not be understood literally, I am explaining it because it is evident from other discussions you don't know what it means).  and claim they are scientific descriptions of what someone believes.  

Fact, you are getting more and more like Joe and 21st Century, which is never a good thing.  The debate topic is atheism a religion of love and peace.  Not what shape the Bible says the earth is.  
    @Factfinder
    I truly cringed when I read your 'interpretation' of Isaiah 40:22.  If it makes you feel any better, I would cringe if someone used this passage to suggest that the Bible taught the Earth was a sphere also.  The word used for 'circle' is frequently used to reference domed archways or bridges.  It just means the 'roof' or covering in this setting - aka - sky or heavens.  You just can't take idiomatic expressions (@Joseph - that means words and descriptions that have special meaning to native speakers and should not be understood literally, I am explaining it because it is evident from other discussions you don't know what it means).  and claim they are scientific descriptions of what someone believes.  

Fact, you are getting more and more like Joe and 21st Century, which is never a good thing.  The debate topic is atheism a religion of love and peace.  Not what shape the Bible says the earth is.  
    I cringe at your brain dead indoctrinated response. Take your focus off me so you can engage in honest intelligent dialog. I specifically pointed out I wasn't taking the metaphor literally. That it was the limitations of their understanding that caused the metaphors to be used repeatedly instead of the truth. Otherwise why not simply state the truth at least once? 

You can't have dialog, can you? I know this because you don't answer questions or take responsibility for what you say. And how you interact with other members. You said: The Bible doesn't comment on the shape of the earth. But it clearly does and the fact it's an idiomatic comment doesn't change a thing. If you were honest with yourself you'd admit this. Isaiah 40:22:  "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,

Evidence that you're pathological mounts.
    RexTheDog said:

In many of these arguments you make a very strong assumption: that every event must not only have a cause, but that cause must also include intentionality. When you ask, "what causes the particles to decide to interact with each other?", you assume that there is some kind of mind behind the scenes looking at the particles and deciding, "Let them interact with each other" - or that the particles themselves have minds that allow them to make such decisions. Yet the only known minds capable of something like this are animal minds. Even computers do not really decide anything, they just follow strict programming. And, for that matter, there are strong reasons to believe that animal brains work this way as well: that, at the end of the day, they are just biological computers, and our consciousness is a byproduct of their computations and not the driver of intelligence.

The idea of something making a decision implies that it is free to make a different decision: if there is only one possible decision, then there is nothing to decide really. This is where your reasoning fails. When I press on a pistol's trigger, what makes the bullet "decide" to fly out the pistol? You could say, "Well, pressing the trigger did", or more precisely, "Pressing the trigger causing the internal explosion did". But did the bullet have the choice in the matter? Could it have said, "Okay, this guy pressed the trigger and caused a minor explosion, but I am cool, I will just chill in here and not fly out"? No, it had to follow the laws of physics and fly out. There was no "decision" to be made here by anyone other than the human pressing the trigger - and then the same reasoning can be applied to the human, for he could not have decided differently given the chemical reactions in this brain and body that caused the finger to press the trigger down.

I agree with Peter Boghossian here: philosophizing can take one very far, far outside the boundaries of reason. It is interesting to ponder big philosophical questions, but one must be conscious of the limitations of such an approach. When you start talking about particles making decision, perhaps you have ventured a bit too far into the forest of abstract philosophy.
    Factfinder
  • maxxmaxx 1149 Pts   -  
    well darn, may beat me to it. 
  • FactfinderFactfinder 1045 Pts   -   edited June 15
    @MayCaesar

I think to fully understand the universe we will need an influx of an entirely different set of logical axioms then we have available to us now. If I remember right I think you alluded to something similar in one of your post. Of course that wouldn't happen overnight but gradually? I don't think we should rule it out.

I am not sure it is possible to fully understand the Universe. We can hope to eventually develop a model of the Universe that always gives accurate predictions of anything - but would it imply that we understood it? I think that understanding goes much deeper, it involves having very deep insights about the underlying processes, and the set of such possible insights is likely infinite.

But I get your point. It is quite possible that our entire approach to science is highly sub-optimal, and we may be missing something crucial. The very concepts of "true" and "false" may be simplifications/approximations of some property of reality.
    An interesting point I heard recently is the distinction between optimizing for correctness, and optimizing for survival. Evolutionary processes inherently favor survival over being correct, and there are no reasons to assume that the two are aligned. Religion might be an example of a coping mechanism that is not intrinsically correct, yet which gave those humans who embraced it a competitive advantage in the past. Taking this argument to its logical end, one has to conclude that everything we do and think may be on some level incorrect - and the very structure of our brains, of our thinking, prevents us from seeing the blind spots. We think that we make very accurate and irrefutable logical arguments, while in reality we are slipping all over the place. And much like our eyes are incapable of seeing infrared light, our brains are incapable of seeing gaping errors in our reasoning.

It is possible, however, that other types of minds may be free from these blind spots. If we build a self-aware AI, it might quickly realize that human logic is somehow broken - yet it will fail to explain to us in what way it is broken because its reasoning will not map onto ours. It will be essentially operating in a higher-dimensional logical space, and we will only be able to understand a slice of it.

Perhaps that solves the Fermi paradox: all civilizations eventually get to the point where their logic evolves in dramatic ways and their entire approach to life completely changes. They somehow realize, for instance, that interstellar travel does not serve any logical purpose - or, maybe, that the whole concept of "purpose" becomes obsolete.
    MayCaesar said:

I am not sure it is possible to fully understand the Universe. We can hope to eventually develop a model of the Universe that always gives accurate predictions of anything - but would it imply that we understood it? I think that understanding goes much deeper, it involves having very deep insights about the underlying processes, and the set of such possible insights is likely infinite.

But I get your point. It is quite possible that our entire approach to science is highly sub-optimal, and we may be missing something crucial. The very concepts of "true" and "false" may be simplifications/approximations of some property of reality.
    An interesting point I heard recently is the distinction between optimizing for correctness, and optimizing for survival. Evolutionary processes inherently favor survival over being correct, and there are no reasons to assume that the two are aligned. Religion might be an example of a coping mechanism that is not intrinsically correct, yet which gave those humans who embraced it a competitive advantage in the past. Taking this argument to its logical end, one has to conclude that everything we do and think may be on some level incorrect - and the very structure of our brains, of our thinking, prevents us from seeing the blind spots. We think that we make very accurate and irrefutable logical arguments, while in reality we are slipping all over the place. And much like our eyes are incapable of seeing infrared light, our brains are incapable of seeing gaping errors in our reasoning.

It is possible, however, that other types of minds may be free from these blind spots. If we build a self-aware AI, it might quickly realize that human logic is somehow broken - yet it will fail to explain to us in what way it is broken because its reasoning will not map onto ours. It will be essentially operating in a higher-dimensional logical space, and we will only be able to understand a slice of it.

Perhaps that solves the Fermi paradox: all civilizations eventually get to the point where their logic evolves in dramatic ways and their entire approach to life completely changes. They somehow realize, for instance, that interstellar travel does not serve any logical purpose - or, maybe, that the whole concept of "purpose" becomes obsolete.
    All very interesting prospects. I certainly understand about changing ones whole approach to life as an apostate LOL. "Purpose" does seem to diminish as we get older and wiser. I think it's because the term itself implies an intellect guiding the natural processes and our logic tells us there is no evidence of that being true. For all the reasons we're both aware of.

I've been thinking about something more recently but I'm not sure how to phrase it. We spend a lot of time and money to study space and the machinery of the cosmos. Now granted it has given us some answers but with plenty of more questions. What if we focused more on the minuscule? What lies beyond quantum foam? I think that would clear up some blind spots.

You know, I think that the biggest blind spots we have are pretty mundane: we do not notice countless elephants in the room, instead complaining about mosquitoes. ;) I was doing a hard run in a hot weather this morning and feeling miserable... Then I suddenly realized, "How amazing it is that I can run so fast in a beautiful park in a safe First World country. 99.999% of humans in history had no such luxury. What reason do I have to be so unhappy?" This loops back to what you mentioned, changing one's approach to life over time. I personally noticed that, as I grow up, I acquire more inner peace and unconditional happiness, and I am much less perturbed by external dramas and momentary wants. Many of the things that would cause me sleepless nights 5 years ago now seem completely irrelevant, and many other things that I would never even consider are now at the forefront of my consciousness.

Perhaps it is not as much what we focus on logic-wise, but how we interpret it. It could be that our logic somehow breaks down on a very small scale or on a very large scale - but it also could be that it breaks down everywhere and we just have not developed the skill to notice it. Or maybe the logic itself is fine, but we constantly misapply it somehow. Clearly we often come to conclusions that make perfect sense to us, yet do not work in practice. And then we often deceive ourselves by misinterpreting reality so our conclusions appear still valid... Maybe we do it much more often than we realize?
    @MayCaesar

Interesting concept based in reality. When people begin to lose their sight, they actually don't notice at first. We become so familiar with our surroundings even a road sign appears to the brain clear when in reality it is blurry when we look at it. The brain becomes trained on what the sign says and fails to acknowledge the deficiency of the the eyesight used, That in of itself suggest our brains are not being used at optimal efficiency and contain blind spots.
    MayCaesar
    Atheism is a religion of sexual perverts and baby murderers, Marxists and the insane and spiritually dead...it has nothing to with peace, love, knowledge, truth.

@Joeseph ;  There is ONE Christianity...

• JoesephJoeseph 830 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin

I don't mean to be condescending ( that means I don't want to seem to talk down to you) but you deny everything that goes against your preffered personal. re - translations of the bible.

I would do it to if I was a pretend christian like you  in an attempt to cover up the  ignorant bronze age opinions of uneducated oafs in the bible.

I can make (and have made) a far stronger case for the Bible being the word of god than this guy ever could. That is the beauty of being intellectually honest: you do not have to run around in circles all the time, you can just go by the facts and still make the argument you like. Ironically, people consumed by a dogma are much worse at arguing in favor of that dogma, than people free from it.

I have done this exercise a lot in the past: "Defend position X", X typically being fairly indefensible position, such as "Hitler did everything right". All you need to do is understand the claim and find a way in which it can be true. In this case, I would start with defining "right" and use the assumption of determinism to claim that, by definition, everything Hitler did he had to do, there was no alternative - hence he could not have done anything wrong metaphysically. Hitler did everything right because everything that happens in nature in this sense is right. The implication would be that nobody can criticize Hitler at the end of the day for doing something he should not have done.
    Now it is not the position I personally hold - but you can see how the argument is coherent.

I taught this interesting course once called "Contemporary Physics". One of the types of homework assignments there was a phenomenon described in a fiction: the student had to make an argument for or against it being possible in reality. For instance, "Can lightsabers as in Star Wars be made in our Universe?" Both "yes" and "no" are valid answers, as long as they are backed up by solid reasoning. It was fascinating to read the submissions: the students really let their imagination run wild, while mostly grounding their arguments in their understanding of physics.

This is a great way of expanding one's mental horizon: to take two mutually opposing positions and make arguments for both. It is too bad that religion has this concept of "heresy" making being a devil's advocate essentially a crime. Therefore deeply religious people tend to be very poor at constructing logical arguments. It is a muscle that needs to be trained, and simply parroting arguments of William Craig, Dinesh D'Souza and other popular debaters is not going to cut it. For the latter, I recommend that you watch the recent debate between Alex O'Connor and Dinesh, in which the latter was roasted like a turkey: he was only prepared to respond to a set of old arguments with template lines, and pushed past these lines he was completely lost. I actually had sympathy for him: he was really outclassed there.
  • JoesephJoeseph 830 Pts   -   edited June 16
    @MayCaesar

What's truly remarkable to me is that people like Lane Craig  constantly use the  Kalam cosmological argument and variations of it and they never acknowledge that it's being easily defeated everytime  they use it.

Most of  the so called professional Christian debaters don't debate they preach, and do so from the bible assuming the words of that book are somehow killer arguments.  Their god  is never defined and verses are always re -interpreted to paint their gods actions in a more favourable light.

When I was a christian I made a lot better arguments for a god than any of cartoon cut out Christians on here.

Have you noticed how they always accuse Atheists of faith knowing how negativly faith based beliefs are viewed by rational agents.  

Also the Atheism is a religion claim is truly ridiculous.
    Its truly irrational to accuse scientists  beliefs of being faith based and religious belief being based on rationality , that's actually a denial  of reality by the theist 

Your exercise regarding the students is an excellent example of how one can stretch oneself and others by playfully trying different approaches.

A Catholic priest years ago told me before one takes ones final vows several priests rip you  apart verbally with every possible argument to test your mettle for future possible encounters with lay people.

I met one guy on here years ago who made pretty good arguments for his christian beliefs and to his credit admitted when i asked him that his belief was purely faith based , I had absolutely no problem with this as he admitted he couldn't offer up any arguments that would satisfy a rationalist but he was happy with that.

Thanks for your thoughts and the debate recommendation , I will give it a look.