frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

The internet and religion,

Debate Information

From technology review.com:

"How the Internet Is Taking Away America’s Religion

Using the Internet can destroy your faith. That’s the conclusion of a study showing that the dramatic drop in religious affiliation in the U.S. since 1990 is closely mirrored by the increase in Internet use.

• April 4, 2014

• Back in 1990, about 8 percent of the U.S. population had no religious preference. By 2010, this percentage had more than doubled to 18 percent. That’s a difference of about 25 million people, all of whom have somehow lost their religion."

Can the internet destroy an individuals faith? 
How does that happen? 

Here we are in 2018, and it would appear that are millions of religious individauls and parents still? 

I wonder why the internet hasn't been able to maybe convert them via the internet front being religious to being anti religious in a sense? 

AlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Maybe the reason people who aren't religious is on the rise is that of the things insane religious cults like you know... The links I gave you! The internet can spread cases around the world faster than anything else
    Polaris95
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

"Maybe the reason people who aren't religious is on the rise is that of the things insane religious cults like you"

Prove that I'm part of any religious cult?

Can you do that?

Not just make claims against me? 

I'll wait while you figure out what to say next. 

Zombieguy1987
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

"Maybe the reason people who aren't religious is on the rise is that of the things insane religious cults like you"

Can you do that?

Do you need glasses? because you cut the end of that sentence..

This is what I said

Maybe the reason people who aren't religious is on the rise is that of the things insane religious cults like you know...

I wasn't saying you were apart of a cult.

I said you know... because I was saying that because crimes committed by religious cults like you know... these kids

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=awreer6lzsdbv2saqckpxqt.;_ylu=x3odmtb0n2noc21lbgnvbg8dymyxbhbvcwmxbhz0awqdbhnlywnwaxzz?p=victims+of+religion&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-arh-001&hspart=arh&hsimp=yhs-001&vm=r

But, knowing you...

you will say 

"But, but bbuutttttttt! This has nothing to do with religion"
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Who are the anti religious trolling on?

The parents who hurt their kids religion and are in jail? 

Or the parents who haven't harmed their kids? 

So innocent people deserve to be harrased by the anti religious for no reason? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    Before of the age of Internet and personal computers, it was not easy for people to get out of the iron grip of their communities, since pretty much any possible way to spend free time meaningfully involved you going somewhere with members of your community - and since most of those communities were historically religious, you were very likely to become religious as well.

Nowadays, when kids stay at home playing games and talking to each other in social networks, they have no reason to go to churches and listen to preachers talking about flying angels: they can experience those flying angels in dozens video games, they do not need someone else to tell them those fictional stories. Diablo 3 offers a much more entertaining way to experience angels and demons, than sitting on a boring sleep-inducing sermon, listening to a guy in a robe.

In other words, people are starting to realize that religion is a poor substitute for real world. And as the technological evolution progresses, the gap between the stories told in ancient books, and what we can see with our own eyes in the world around us, will only grow.
    Zombieguy1987AlofRI
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar:

Here's my view on your statement:

And the artificial entity known as the internet along with what some use the internet to say what they will on it, is good alternative to real life and reality in general?  

Are you a gamer? 
    Diablo 3.

I played video games briefly, and when I realized that that console in my hands was keeping me from enjoying life, because I was placing life on hold to satisfy an artificial need to win a game that didn't do anything but eat time up.

Spare the video game and give reality more of a chance. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB ;

Real life encompasses all the physical reality, in my view, including virtual worlds interfaced with us via the computer screen.

Aside from my work in science, which I love, I also have 4 main passions: fiction, travel, music and intellectual challenges. Gaming falls under the first and the last, but it is merely one of my hobbies. I absolutely do not feel that the time I spend playing games I love is wasted in any way, as they contribute to satisfaction of my needs.

I would not play Diablo 3 even if I were paid for it, as it is a very unsophisticated game - but I love games with complicated worlds and stories, and difficult moral situations, that make me learn a bit more about myself and refine my system of beliefs.

Zombieguy1987JoesephPlaffelvohfen
  • JoesephJoeseph 647 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @TTKDB

You say ......
    And the artificial entity known as the internet along with what some use the internet to say what they will on it, is good alternative to real life and reality in general?  

My reply .... No one is saying it’s a “ good alternative “ to real life , also you seem to spend enough time on it don’t you?

You say ....**Are you a gamer? 
    Diablo 3.

I played video games briefly, and when I realized that that console in my hands was keeping me from enjoying life, because I was placing life on hold to satisfy an artificial need to win a game that didn't do anything but eat time up.

Spare the video game and give reality more of a chance. **

My reply .....Just because someone enjoys gaming does not mean they are “denying reality “ you’re very judgmental and what right do you have to tell others how to spend their free time?

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

Reality check:

Who was responsible for 9/11?

Was God responsible for destroying the twin towers? 

Or were 19 hijackers responsible for 9/11? 

Zombieguy1987
  • JoesephJoeseph 647 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB

You say ......

My reply .... No one is saying it’s a “ good alternative “ to real life , also you seem to spend enough time on it don’t you?

Diablo 3.

My reply .....Just because someone enjoys gaming does not mean they are “denying reality “ you’re very judgmental and what right do you have to tell others how to spend their free time?
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph

Why can't you answer these 9/11 questions? 

Was God responsible for destroying the twin towers? 

Or were 19 hijackers responsible for 9/11? 

Instead you answer with stuff? 

Your reply to the 9/11 questions was this?

"You say ......

Diablo 3.

My reply .....Just because someone enjoys gaming does not mean they are “denying reality “ you’re very judgmental and what right do you have to tell others how to spend their free time?"

Joeseph why can't you answer the 9/11 questions? 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph

I'm pro society.

Your way of thinking doesn't apply to me.

I don't care if your atheist, Muslim, theist, Hindu, or what have you.

Because when individauls of various backgrounds are getting along, that maybe takes away from your point of view? 

Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

I believe in myself, and I believe in those who respect others in a fair and equal manner. 

I'm pro society. 

What is your interpretation of what being pro society means? 

Does pro society to you, mean that individauls get to believe in what they want if they aren't harming anyone or their own families? 

With what they may choose to believe in, and they aren't infringing on others outside of their own homes or religious buildings? 

And they might get flack for what they choose to believe in? 

Or the way you view being pro society, is the opposite of the above statement? 

@TTKDB

You say ....

I believe in myself, and I believe in those who respect others in a fair and equal manner. 

My reply .... That’s incorrect otherwise you would agree with a Muslim who acts within the rules of the very harsh Shariah laws to dispense justice which they deem fair and equal . So you only respect people who are similar you in their beliefs 

You say .....I'm pro society. 

My reply .... So again you’re pro North Korea as they’re also “ society “? What does pro society mean?

You say .....What is your interpretation of what being pro society means? 

My reply .... I’ve no interpretation of this ridiculous terminology 

You say .....Does pro society to you, mean that individauls get to believe in what they want if they aren't harming anyone or their own families? 

My reply .... I don’t use this term you do 

You say .....With what they may choose to believe in, and they aren't infringing on others outside of their own homes or religious buildings? 

My reply .... Really so Muslim terrorists never infringe on people outside their homes?

You say .....And they might get flack for what they choose to believe in? 

My reply .... Yes if they call on my doorstep preaching their they will get flack 

You say .....Or the way you view being pro society, is the opposite of the above statement? 

My reply ....You asked me my view of what pro society meant , now you’re trying to tell me what my view is and yet I’ve told you I never use such a ridiculous term , are you really this or just trolling?

Youre still too terrified to answer .......Why are you a Christian?

You believe you are one but admit you don’t know why , that’s 72 times I asked you can you not get someone to help you answer what you don’t know yourself?

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph

"My reply .... That’s incorrect otherwise you would agree with a Muslim who acts within the rules of the very harsh Shariah laws to dispense justice which they deem fair and equal . So you only respect people who are similar you in their beliefs"

Isn't there a such thing as peaceful Muslims?

Isn't there a such thing as peaceful Koreans?

"My reply .... Really so Muslim terrorists never infringe on people outside their homes?"

Where's your evidence to the above statement from you? 

"You say .....And they might get flack for what they choose to believe in? 

My reply .... Yes if they call on my doorstep preaching their they will get flack"

What religious individuals have been to your doorstep? 

I know I haven't been. 

I'm going to get flack from you.

If I say I'm religious, you're going to shove those words right down my throat.

And you'll likely lump me in with those same criminal parents who hurt and harmed their kids, won't you? 

I'm pro society, and I don't care it anyone is anti religious or religious.

But apparently because of the internet, the millions of peaceful religious individuals anywhere on the globe, will likely get judged and lumped in with those same individuals who hurt their kids, right?

And that would be fair and equal treatment to the millions of religious individuals, to be treated unfairly because of what some did via their crimes? 

• JoesephJoeseph 647 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB

You dumb brute you need to read what I actually said instead of what you think I said through your drunken reply , read it again  

You say ....

My reply .... That’s incorrect otherwise you would agree with a Muslim who acts within the rules of the very harsh Shariah laws to dispense justice which they deem fair and equal . So you only respect people who are similar you in their beliefs 

You say .....I'm pro society. 

My reply .... So again you’re pro North Korea as they’re also “ society “? What does pro society mean?

You say .....What is your interpretation of what being pro society means? 

My reply .... I’ve no interpretation of this ridiculous terminology 

You say .....Does pro society to you, mean that individauls get to believe in what they want if they aren't harming anyone or their own families? 

My reply .... I don’t use this term you do 

You say .....With what they may choose to believe in, and they aren't infringing on others outside of their own homes or religious buildings? 

My reply .... Really so Muslim terrorists never infringe on people outside their homes?

You say .....And they might get flack for what they choose to believe in? 

My reply .... Yes if they call on my doorstep preaching their they will get flack 

You say .....Or the way you view being pro society, is the opposite of the above statement? 

My reply ....You asked me my view of what pro society meant , now you’re trying to tell me what my view is and yet I’ve told you I never use such a ridiculous term , are you really this or just trolling?

Youre still too terrified to answer .......Why are you a Christian? 

You believe you are one but admit you don’t know why , that’s 72 times I asked you can you not get someone to help you answer what you don’t know yourself?

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph

A pro society person wouldn't kill another.

Thats not pro society, thats pro criminal.

A pro society of person wouldn't go home and mentally or verbally abuse their wife, husband, or their kids with domestic abuse or violence.

That's not pro society, that's pro family abuse .

A pro society person wouldn't be doing drugs in a grocery/ mall parking lot.

And then drive away high on drugs and then illegally driving while high on weed, meth, cocaine, heroin, or opioids, or on a mixture of prescription drugs.

That's not pro society, that's pro drug use and abuse.

And when a parent harms a child, that's not pro society, that's criminal.

And thats why the law breaking parent or parents get tried for their crimes and not religion. 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph

Why are you an atheist?

Does you being an atheist better the lives of the those around you, and those who don't even know you? 

With you being an atheist, is the atheist point of view more popular on the internet, or is it just as popular in real life conversation away from the internet? 

Because I've seen more articles (written about atheism online, and atheist online literature via some online book stores) than I have seen at any magazine or newspaper stand on a street, or at any book store.

Why am I religious?

Because the religious individuals I know are peaceful.

And they are about community and being there for their community and each other.

When someone needs help with food, clothing, or shelter, that someone gets the help that they are seeking.

Thats why I'm religious.

Because people are being there for each other.

They aren't seeking to harm anyone, or their families.

Like I said before, religion doesn't compel some or someone to hurt other's, if some or someone does that, then they committed the crime or crimes via their own hand or hands, and again religion has nothing to do with it.

AlofRI
    @TTKDB

You're trolling again go away or be reported , I’m not interested in your preaching 

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

You asked me why I'm religious, I gave an answer.

TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

Oh. Oh. O.H.!

Here's what i typed

"Maybe the reason people who aren't religious is on the rise is that of the things insane religious cults like you know... The links I gave you! The internet can spread cases around the world faster than anything else"

Can you do that?

No, you Tampered with what i actually said to push your religious bias!

I didn't make a claim that you were in a religous cult. I said that religious people are leaving religion because of people who insane things like faith healing! I didn't single you out AT ALL!

And i'll figure out why you intentionally cut out apart of what i said

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

How many Atheist and Religion combined based websites, are there on the internet? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

You could reach out to some of the Atheist website's, and ask them if they know of any court cases where religion was found guilty of any crimes committed by any offender? 
    AlofRI
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987

You could reach out to some of the Atheist website's, and ask them if they know of any court cases where religion was found guilty of any crimes committed by any offender? 

This is off topic... N.E.X.T.!

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited February 2019
    @TTKDB

You ask: Can the internet destroy an individuals faith?  How does that happen? 

My answer is yes, the internet can destroy an individual's faith... How? Information...

Internet exposes people to information that would have been otherwise unavailable to them. The more information (arguments, point of view, questions, etc) one is exposed to, the more likely one is to switch to a secular view of existence... That is why younger generation (those born after the creation of the internet)
    tend to be less and less religious as they have access to an incredible amount of information that older generation did not have...

Now, why are there religious individuals still? Part of the answer is that many religious communities live in some sort of echo chambers, peer pressure is a thing you know, when everyone around you do not question the faith and frown upon those who do, you're more likely to not question the faith, at least publicly... 
    Zombieguy1987AlofRI
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
    TTKDB said:
    @Joeseph:

Reality check:

Saudi (Funny how 15 were Saudi, yet the U.S government says Saudi Aribia is a good ally), Egyptian, Lebanese and UAE terrorists were responsible. The issue is that if a God exists, he should've intervened because he is allegedly all powerful, knowing and caring, yet just sat on sidelines watching thousands of his supporters being killed and he didn't intervene to stop it from happening.

Was God responsible for destroying the twin towers? In a sense yes. He didn't stop it from happening, whether it being killing the terrorists or warning the authorities or the planes that were hijacked. 

Or were 19 hijackers responsible for 9/11?  Of course they were responsible, but an all caring, all knowing and powerful God wouldn't jet let them commit one of the worst terror attacks on American soil happen with intervening. What's funny is religious people say it's Gods plan, which basically means God INTENTIONALLY let 3,000 people die as a "plan"

AlofRI
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I think there are several legitimate reasons for this.
    For one thing, science is moving faster than it ever has along MANY lines.
    Another is that many of those "believers" of a few years ago were CYA believers. Since the internet, they don't feel so alone when so many can admit, and not be ridiculed, directly, that they do NOT really believe. Things didn't make sense to them before, but, they did what was expected of them. Now, they don't feel like a minority.
    When I was in Europe around the millennial, several Cathedrals and huge churches were being turned into condos and the like. Here, in RI, three shut down, that I know of, this month. Fewer and fewer are attending, many of those who do, can't, or wont, invest enough money to keep them going. Some still can't' or are afraid, to admit they don't believe.
    Several religion based schools are also in trouble or gone. That will take MORE that would normally be "indoctrinated" into the religion, out of the later "investment" category.
    I've said before, I have nothing against anyone's religion, anyone's. But, if a business is to keep going, the "boss" has to show up now and then. The last time the Christian one showed up was (allegedly) about 20 centuries ago. This is what happens. Even I would believe if he showed, now and then.

Zombieguy1987