I support same sex marriage after reviewing the evidence for it. Here is why. - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

I support same sex marriage after reviewing the evidence for it. Here is why.
in Religion

By YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 57 Pts edited July 19
https://www.gaychristian101.com/ I put this in the religion section because I will be discussing religion as well as politics. I met with my job coach today who quote sounded like he was gay. He is a human, so he should have legal protections for his God given rights. I am bisexual, and knew I was different when I was about 13. I did not choose to be this way, and the consenting adult human I happen to love is between my spouse and the person officiating my wedding and Jesus. Marriage is a human right. Why should I feel unsafe or dirty because of the adult that consents to marry me. Show me your objections, every last one of them, and I will disprove them with facts, evidence, and logic. Don't believe me, believe the link I have provided, and review further evidence I will provide for you. I am addressing Jews and my fellow Christians, but will engage anyone who wants to speak with me. One final question: If I am wrong, is God cruel that He would cast me into Hell forever that i am unable to refute the evidence I have read and watched? No. Jesus is a loving God and He knows that I am not. Please click the link I have provided as my introductory evidence, an no lying or attacking anyone, please. Just be respectful, and present your views.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/ Feel free to click my signature for Bible study. That's what it's there for!

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 213 Pts
    There are two levels of the subject of same sex marriage that I would like to address from my libertarian point of view.

1. Whether same sex marriage should be legal or not depends on what we see as a purpose of marriage. I personally have always seen marriage as a state- or church-supervised contract between two people who love each other. In this case, the important fact is the presence of love between the two people, and their gender does not play any role in this aspect, hence should not be a factor. 
    On the other hand, someone else may see marriage as an agreement to pursue the matter to and beyond child conception and birth. In this case, legalizing same-sex marriage, or marriage between a man and a woman who cannot give birth, would be counter-productive, because those types of couples cannot conceive a child.
    Finally, one may take a stance that marriage serves some purpose unknown to us, but known to the authors of one of the religious books. In this case, what types of marriage should be legal and what not will be determined by the guidelines in that book.

2. I see marriage in itself as an outdated concept, from the dark times when every breath a person takes has to first be approved by their lord who owns their lives. Nowadays a couple should not have to register their relationship with a government or a church; simply loving each other is enough. I would like to see marriage de-officialized, and wedding as a mere legally not biding tradition.
    Polaris95
  • @YeshuaBought

You cannot be a Christian. It's impossible. You're bisexual. Scripture calls homosexuality an abomination unto God. Yes, I know you said bisexual. They are the same thing in God's eyes. A man having sex with another man. Nope. No way you're a Christian. Repent and be saved!
    YeshuaBoughtPolaris95
  • @MayCaesar For me, marriage is when two lovers want to spend their lives togather, but I generally think the government should neither prmote nor oppose it, but allow adults to make their own choices. Is that what you are saying?
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/ Feel free to click my signature for Bible study. That's what it's there for!

• @Mr_Bombastic Did you review my evidence before you spewed your no true Scotsman fallacy. Don't be too scared to say why you object. Go on, prove me wrong.

• @YeshuaBought
    The Bible clearly states that homosexuality is an abomination. I don't care about your "evidence" Scripture disagrees with all of it.
    with_all_humility
  • @Mr_Bombastic ; Prove it using the KJV or NRSV. 

• https://www.allaboutgod.com/is-homosexuality-a-sin.htm

Here's your proof. Of course, you'll probably just ignore it.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 213 Pts
    @MayCaesar For me, marriage is when two lovers want to spend their lives togather, but I generally think the government should neither prmote nor oppose it, but allow adults to make their own choices. Is that what you are saying?
    Essentially, yes. I do not generally approve of such lines of reasoning as "These two people love each other and want to spend their lives together. Here is the certificate stating that we officially acknowledge this fact". This simply should not be the government's business, in my opinion.

Especially since, in theory, the bond does not have to be between necessarily two people. There are love triangles, there are swingers, there are people with multiple lovers who are not lovers in between themselves... There is such variety in the ways that love and desire to maintain the relationship forever may manifest, that limiting the official recognition to purely recognizing secular couples is unnecessarily restrictive.
  • @Mr_Bombastic You ignored my evidence, so why should I care about your subjective opinion, and you don't have the right to dictate whether I am a Christian or not, only Jesus does who is my number one true love and reason for living. If you said "I disagree wiuth you, but" instead of using the no true Scotsman fallacy, I would respect you, but you crossed the line, and are a petulant troll.

• @YeshuaBought
    I showed you what Scripture says about homosexuality. If you are a practicing homosexuality you cannot be a Christian. Nothing you say will ever change that. God calls homosexuality an abomination. That's a fact. Deal with it.
  • @Mr_Bombastic
    The bible is a book of fictional stories written by men. Religion was created as a guideline for particular morals.
    Polaris95
  • pocopoco 39 Pts
    You:You cannot be a Christian. It's impossible. You're bisexual. Scripture calls homosexuality an abomination unto God. Yes, I know you said bisexual. They are the same thing in God's eyes. A man having sex with another man. Nope. No way you're a Christian. Repent and be saved! YeshuaBought

me:  All sin is an abomination to God, so please do  not differentiate between sins bc God/Jesus never had. 

Does everyone sin?  Yes.  If we accept Jesus we are saved & will attain heavenly reward.  There is no stipulation on what life we led b4.  We confess our sins to God & we are cleansed from them.  Then we start the whole process over again.  The Holy Spirit leads us to a renewed life.  But to say a bisexual is any different than a cheating spouse is ridiculous.  Sexual sin is sexual sin ...... & all sin is sin ..... & all sin is what we repent from. 

Are you not doing the exact opposite of what Jesus told us by judging the person you are telling they cannot be a Christian?  Nobody knows what another person's heart has in it.  Only God knows this. 
    WordsMatter
  • @YeshuaBought
    Can you imagine Jesus engaging in a homosexual act? If you answer no, that should tell you something. If you answer yes, then you are not a Christian.
  • @poco
    First of all, he has not repented, because he is a practicing homo.
    Second, homosexuality is a perversion of what God intended.
    So no. He can't possibly be a Christian.
    with_all_humility
  • https://www.gaychristian101.com/ I put this in the religion section because I will be discussing religion as well as politics. I met with my job coach today who quote sounded like he was gay. He is a human, so he should have legal protections for his God given rights. I am bisexual, and knew I was different when I was about 13. I did not choose to be this way, and the consenting adult human I happen to love is between my spouse and the person officiating my wedding and Jesus. Marriage is a human right. Why should I feel unsafe or dirty because of the adult that consents to marry me. Show me your objections, every last one of them, and I will disprove them with facts, evidence, and logic. Don't believe me, believe the link I have provided, and review further evidence I will provide for you. I am addressing Jews and my fellow Christians, but will engage anyone who wants to speak with me. One final question: If I am wrong, is God cruel that He would cast me into Hell forever that i am unable to refute the evidence I have read and watched? No. Jesus is a loving God and He knows that I am not. Please click the link I have provided as my introductory evidence, an no lying or attacking anyone, please. Just be respectful, and present your views.
    You state "Marriage is a human right" how do you conclude that?  Please examine the following scriptures.  
    • Gen 2:24  Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
    • When asked about marriage Jesus said this...Mat 19:3-6  And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?”  He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?  So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” 
    So after the creation of Adam and Eve, Gon instituted marriage between men and women.  There was not an Adam and Steve and this was instituted long before the left-leaning Supreme Court ruling a few years ago.  So, marriage is not a human right, but a God-given Right or a divine institution. 

Jesus said if you love him you would follow all of his commandments (Jn 14.2)

You ask "is God cruel"...No God in not cruel but He is a just God and cannot be associated with iniquity or unrepentant sin. 

So bring disprove me yours with facts, evidence, and logic.  Oh, by the way, is the logic of man or is it the wisdom of the scriptures?  
  • @Mr_Bombastic

You state "For me, marriage is when two lovers want to spend their lives together, but I generally think the government should neither promote nor oppose it, but allow adults to make their own choices. Is that what you are saying?"

Since when do we interpret God word to fit our own situation.  You don't say the bible says...you state "For me marriage is..."  This is blasphemy, know you are telling God He is wrong and you are right. WOW!
  • @with_all_humility
    I believe you are replying to the wrong person.
  • pocopoco 39 Pts
    a practicing homo .... sure it's sin, but don't we all sin each day the same way, only our version of practicing whatever we do wrong ..... while working to better ourselves to get out of sin ........ which is pretty much impossible. 

Repenting, means working on changing ourselves from a sinful life.  Key word is 'working.' 

Yes, it's also a perversion of what God intended.  But that does not make it any worse of a sin than the next sin.  All sin is a perversion of what God intended ..... also an abomination in God's eyes. 

All I'm trying to get you to see is leave judging to God, while you pray for this person.  He/she may be exactly what you claim, but all you're showing is a typical "Christian self-righteous" judgement, which only pushes people away.  Are we not to judge, & treat others with love?
  • pocopoco 39 Pts
    If you can prove your statement re the bible being a fictional book, since this is what you have stated here, by all means, the floor is yours.  If you're successful, then you'll make millions on the talk show circuit.  Have at it.