frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Being an athiest doesn't mean they lack morality

12346»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    " If our place in eternity is contingent on our adherence to the Law of God, that means that the Lawgiver (and His Law) is authoritative over us. If the Law (and the Lawgiver) had no authority over us, there would be no consequences for breaking the law. There would be no reason for a hell, because there is no punishment." 

That's only IF our place in eternity is contingent to the Law of God. You've brought no solid proof that proves religious morality is rooted in something other than social attitudes. The bible was written by man, not God himself!!! Furthermore, it doesn't answer exactly what God could do to punish someone for willfully going against his word and accepting hell. God may have patience for us, but some of us will still reject his patience and accept hell, and willfully sin just for the pleasure of it. What's he gonna do, send them to hell?

If Stalin, for example, felt that wiping out 45 million of his own people was justified, what person could say he was not justified in so doing? 

I could!!! I'm atheist and I can easily say that Stalin was not only unjust when his regime murdered 45 million, let alone anybody, but the basic principles of his government were evil!! Communism is a collectivist form of government. Collectivism means that our only purpose for life is to live for the happiness of everybody else. It's a government mandated charity. But if charity is the law, it takes the genuineness out of charity, because we're supposed to be charitable out of our own choice to do so. It's not a righteous act to enforce charity!!!! Also, I believe that the people who carried out Stalins egregious crimes are just as guilty if not, more guilty. But since I believe in the principles of individualism, then I believe our true purpose on earth is to live for ourselves, but if we let others invade our individuality, then we are guilty of letting them. So, I believe the murdered people of Russia are also guilty of letting Stalin do it to them. They're not evil like the perpetrators of the crimes, but guilty by association. Notice I did all that without saying, "Stalin was guilty because God said so"!!! 

Sincerely 

Pilot.
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    >it doesn't answer exactly what the government could do to punish someone for willfully going against the law and accepting the death penalty. The government may have patience with us, but some of us will still reject this patience and accept the death penalty, and willfully break the law just for the pleasure of it. What's the government gonna do, give us the death penalty?
    ---------------------------------------
    Yes. That is exactly what the government is "gonna" do.

I love analogies. 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @dbox
    " If our place in eternity is contingent on our adherence to the Law of God, that means that the Lawgiver (and His Law) is authoritative over us. If the Law (and the Lawgiver) had no authority over us, there would be no consequences for breaking the law. There would be no reason for a hell, because there is no punishment." 

You realize you're describing North Korea to one of its citizens, right? 

Dee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "