frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does God Exist?

Debate Information

This must surely be the big kahuna of debates and, sure this debate has been put out there on more than one occasion but this time there is a difference.

I am declaring right from the start that I will argue the positive....God exists. What the? Has Swolliw gone mad, I hear so many people cry?

Not exactly, because I threw down the gauntlet to another member (and I won't mention the name of MayCaeser here) to prove that one can win an argument regardless of which side one takes. And, let's face sit here; I have always been in the habit of choosing the winning side which I admit is taking a bit of an unfair advantage of those less skilled in literary wit and articulating thoughts into compelling arguments. So, here is the challenge, it will be tough I know, but I dare anyone to successfully refute my arguments and confirm that God doesn't exist.

So, to open, I will say that God exists because one has to first look at the substance of the question. How does one define "God" and how does one define "exist".

I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present then He must truly be everything and it is easy to prove the existence of everything so, therefore God must exist.

Then okay, we contend that God has mighty powers and capable of creating a massive universe complete with all its life and workings. Let's just take a look at the word "exist" then. Because those who fervently believe in God will treat the existence of God as not merely an imaginary friend but as an actual fact of being, no different to anything else that exists. Therefore God actually does exist in the minds of those who are deluded.

So, there you have it....God exists.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -   edited November 17
    So, here is the challenge, it will be tough I know, but I dare anyone to successfully refute my arguments and confirm that God doesn't exist.

That’s not how it works the burden of proof is on you to prove your claim and not the reverse.

If a jar of coins is  placed on a table and you and I are asked “does the jar hold an odd or an even amount of coins “ my response will be “I don’t know “ your response is “I do know “ the burden of proof is on you to prove your assertion not I to disprove it 

So, to open, I will say that God exists because one has to first look at the substance of the question.

I’m looking the substance doesn’t infer a god

How does one define "God" and how does one define "exist".

I don’t know what a god is , so how do you define it?  Exist : to have being or reality 

I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present

You’ve just asserted your god into existence without justification as in a proof of any kind , then worse still you’ve tacked a quality onto the god you’ve just asserted into existence 

then He must truly be everything and it is easy to prove the existence of everything so, therefore God must exist.

Thats possibly one of the worst arguments I’ve ever heard for a god , maybe you should have attempted Lane Craig’s revised Kalam cosmological argument 

• SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -  
    @Dee ;
    the burden of proof is on you to prove your claim

That's right, and I just did prove my claim....now get with it.

I’m looking the substance doesn’t infer a god

The substance is: How does one define "God" and how does one define "exist"......still not quite with it now are we?

I don’t know what a god is , so how do you define it?
    I did define it by stating......"I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present then He must truly be everything". Not really listening are we?

You’ve just asserted your god into existence without justification
    No I didn't....I said, "I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present"...that is not an assertion, it is an observation of what others think. And I did justify it by saying: "then He must truly be everything" The good ole repetitive non-argument trick eh?

My arguments still stand.

Yawwwn....next contender please.
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -   edited November 17
    @Swolliw

You didn’t take that lesson in the basics of logic to well did you ? Not to worry carry on old son maybe one of the big guns like Lane Craig or Banana man Ray Comfort will take up your god argument and convert by the millions , you may be onto a good thing yet …….not 

So here is what you’re actually running from despite your rambling replies to simple questions …..ps you need to look up the term “infer” you haven’t a clue what it means do you? pps …..you need to look up the term “contend “ you’re kinda stuck on that one to ……ppps….the terms “observation “ , “assertion “ and “infer “ are really causing you terrible trouble aren’t they ?

Here is what you’re avoiding , you may get assistance if you wish ….you kinda dug a hole for yourself didn’t you ?

So, here is the challenge, it will be tough I know, but I dare anyone to successfully refute my arguments and confirm that God doesn't exist.

That’s not how it works the burden of proof is on you to prove your claim and not the reverse.

If a jar of coins is  placed on a table and you and I are asked “does the jar hold an odd or an even amount of coins “ my response will be “I don’t know “ your response is “I do know “ the burden of proof is on you to prove your assertion not I to disprove it …….are you getting it yet ? I’m really rooting for you I know you can do …..you can can’t you ?

Sorry I really shouldn’t mock you but hey you know the way it goes ……let’s look at this pile of nonsense you posted ……

No I didn't....I said, "I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present"...that is not an assertion,

Contend :assert something as a position in an arugument …..oh dear 

it is an observation of what others think. 

So contend is not “assert “its now an “observation”  of what others think which you somehow know …..man oh man ….

And I did justify it by saying: "then He must truly be everything" The good ole repetitive non-argument trick eh?

So you “contended “ but didn’t “assert “ and didn’t “assert “ but merely observed others opinion which you then justify as your own …….gee thanks for clearing that up …bwahahahahahahahahahaha 
  • OakTownAOakTownA 379 Pts   -  
    ""God" and how does one define "exist".

I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present then He must truly be everything and it is easy to prove the existence of everything so, therefore God must exist."
    You have not defined either God or exist. God being omnipresent is a belief about the Abrahamic God. Are you trying to argue that a God must be omnipresent in order to be considered divine? If God is everything, how do we distinguish god from, say, the mud puddle in front of the clinic where I work? If there is no way to do so, then god is a useless concept, if god is simply everything. Unless you are trying to argue god is electrons?

"Then okay, we contend that God has mighty powers and capable of creating a massive universe complete with all its life and workings."
    Okay, so this is your contention, ie your proposition. What do you have to back up this assertion? Where does this being reside? How come scientists have never found evidence that the Earth, Universe, and us were created? After all, if god interacted with our Universe, it'd be dripping with physics. (Sorry, I can't remember or find the original quote to which I am referring.)

"Therefore God actually does exist in the minds of those who are deluded."
    Many thing can exist in a person's mind that do not actually exist, like faeries and dragons and unicorns and space ships that can travel beyond the speed of light or a single medication that can cure all diseases; it dose not mean they do exist in reality. How is that any different from your statement about god? I fervently believed my imaginary friend was real as a child, and my parents went along with it. How is that different than your statement about god?
    @Dee

Do I hear an echo in the room or is this deja vu all over again....so what......I already have proven my claim, in black and white as above...really and utterly not on the ball are we?

Assert, ashmert, say, state, contend what the heck does that have to do with anything?

So, are you going to stop splitting hairs and actually come out with a valid argument?

• SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -   edited November 18
    @OakTownA
    You have not defined either God or exist. 

Yes I did clearly define each one....seventh line down then eighth and ninth lines down....as clear as one could define.

it dose not mean they do exist in reality......How is that different than your statement about god?

Because I had already proven the existence of God as being omni-present, therefore, in this case as opposed to general thoughts, the God in the minds of those who are deluded can be accepted as being real.

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw

I will just let you argue against yourself like the  schizophrenic  raving nut you are over 200 debates by you vehemently saying their is no god now you’re saying their is …… LOL 

Swollow said ……

I  already have proven my claim, in black and white as above...really and utterly not on the ball are we?

Swollow replied to himself ……..

Should we not ponder the question however of why there are many different scriptures, each describing a different God owing to the completely different behaviors and recollections contained within each? Abrahamic religions seem to relate to the same God, albeit through different conduits; Christ and Muhammad, for example. However, how about the Hindu religion and religions where there are many Gods? Does this indicate that we are entitled to speculate that indeed, none of these Gods actually exists?

• OakTownAOakTownA 379 Pts   -   edited November 18
    You barely replied to my response.

I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present then He must truly be everything and it is easy to prove the existence of everything so, therefore God must exist."
    You have not defined either God or exist. God being omnipresent is a belief about the Abrahamic God. Are you trying to argue that a God must be omnipresent in order to be considered divine? If God is everything, how do we distinguish god from, say, the mud puddle in front of the clinic where I work? If there is no way to do so, then god is a useless concept, if god is simply everything. Unless you are trying to argue god is electrons?
    God is omipresent is not a definition; it is a characteristic. Is God just everything? If so, then see my objections above.

"Then okay, we contend that God has mighty powers and capable of creating a massive universe complete with all its life and workings."
    Okay, so this is your contention, ie your proposition. What do you have to back up this assertion? Where does this being reside? How come scientists have never found evidence that the Earth, Universe, and us were created? After all, if god interacted with our Universe, it'd be dripping with physics. (Sorry, I can't remember or find the original quote to which I am referring.)

it dose not mean they do exist in reality......How is that different than your statement about god?

"Because I had already proven the existence of God as being omni-present, therefore, in this case as opposed to general thoughts, the God in the minds of those who are deluded can be accepted as being real."

See my objections above. I work in mental health. I see many people who have strong delusions. Does this mean that the FBI plants listening devices in everyone's home or that a person's bones can be completely replaced without their knowledge, or that that random person on the corner is going to kidnap them for the slave trade? Delusions are delusions because they are not real by definition. Therefore, saying a delusion can be accepted as real is saying A=non A, a clear fallacy.

@OakTownA
    Okay, so this is your contention, ie your proposition. What do you have to back up this assertion? 

I did not make any such contention, proposition nor assertion. You made a big mistake and need to pay more attention to detail.

In any case, let's wrap this topic up, the other contenders have given up and you still have not made a valid argument nor refutation.

My OP stands and I have won the argument.

• dallased25dallased25 352 Pts   -  
    A character existing in someone's mind doesn't mean they exist in reality. If something only exists in someone's mind or in their "Imagination", then by definition that character is imaginary. Therefore god is imaginary since it only exists in the mind. 
    John_C_87
  • @Swolliw

In any case, let's wrap this topic up, the other contenders have given up and you still have not made a valid argument nor refutation.

• Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

: a person who tells lies

@dallased25
     If something only exists in someone's mind or in their "Imagination", then by definition that character is imaginary. Therefore god is imaginary since it only exists in the mind. 

You used the word "If", therefore your argument is conditional and not conclusive, and therefore invalid.

In any case, you submitted your nil argument after I had called an end to the argument.

• NoUsernameNoUsername 15 Pts   -  
    Dee said:
    @Swolliw
    However, how about the Hindu religion and religions where there are many Gods? Does this indicate that we are entitled to speculate that indeed, none of these Gods actually exists?

If you ask the scholars of the religions you mentionned or allude to, there is only one god. The mainstream may believe there are up to 33 millions but the scholars will tell you there is only one. Ask one of those scholars.
  • NoUsernameNoUsername 15 Pts   -   edited November 26
    Argument Topic: to be everywhere doesnt mean to be everything

@Swolliw

Just for the sake of learning:

You say "I contend that, since God is regarded as being omni-present then He must truly be everything and it is easy to prove the existence of everything so, therefore God must exist."

Your first assertion is illogical:
    Since
    God is regarded as being omni-present (= being everywhere)
    Then
    He must truly be everything

There is no logical cause between being somewhere/everywhere and being that something/everything.
    Being in a "place", doesnt make you the object/thing found in that place: I may be in the kitchen, yet that doesnt make me the kitchen.

Hence, your argument that follows is invalid and:

"Since one cannot prove that God is everything by being omni-present and since its easy to prove the existence of everything, therefore God cannot exist".

You lost.

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

Why are you addressing me in this post?
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

You do know he is arguing there is a god ? I thought you believed in god?
    Argument Topic: Did he asked to prove he was wrong? So I am trying to do.

@Dee
    Do you understand what I have tried to explain you in the messages? I am here to learn, does this surprise you then that I take up the challenge to debate? Isnt it a website for it? I dont care about the question, as I told you many times before, I dont care if one believes or not. I care about learning to debate.

I dont see what is difficult to understand in this.
    Swolliw
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

: Did he asked to prove he was wrong? So I am trying to do.

When you learn to communicate in basic English I may respond 
    @Dee
    I havent, it must have automatically appeared when I clicked the "quote" button.

As you know, I ve just joined the site yesterday, my bad if I forgot to erase your name.

Yet you dont need to be agressive please. I havent been so. You have something against my way of "reasoning". Then, you already have some assertions of mine to contest. Please, go ahead, I came here for that. And no, I am not a troll, unless asking to learn means "trolling" for you?

Not my definition, think whatever you want.
    @Dee
    I have much more proficiency in english than you probably have in other languages.

Dont try to make me ashamed of speaking 5 different languages with quite a high level; when you dont. Try something else.
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

, think whatever you want.

Wow thanks a lot for permission 
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername ;

I have much more proficiency in english than you probably have in other languages.

Yet another unfounded claim , you really do like making stuff up don’t you ?

Dont try to make me ashamed of speaking 5 different languages with quite a high level; when you dont.

Another unfounded accusation

Try something else.

Well I tried being polite , I tried reasoning all you do is whine …..if you want to debate will you get on with it or are you just here to complain?
    Yet another unfounded claim , you really do like making stuff up don’t you ?
    I dont think it is, would you have had proficiency in other languages, and as such have known what it takes to learn a new language to that level, never would have you used that "detail" to mock someone.

Never have I seen a polyglot act so, the only ones I have see mock others are the same ones that can only speak one language.

Dont try to make me ashamed of speaking 5 different languages with quite a high level; when you dont.
    Another unfounded accusation
    If it wasnt so, you wouldnt even have copy pasted that shitty piece of sentence of mine when you had hundreds of others to oppose your assertion that I couldnt write "basic english".
    If it is another unfounded accusation, then why say "When you learn to communicate in basic English I may respond "?
    Assume your words.

"Well I tried being polite , I tried reasoning all you do is whine …..if you want to debate will you get on with it or are you just here to complain?
    You say I whine, yet I dont. Or, does refusing your harassing ways mean "whining" to you? Not to me.

I participated and challenged the OP.
    Yet what is the FIRST thing you did? You asked if I had understood the question because of my so called belief and then you mocked my english proficiency. Where is your debating invitation here? Where did you react to my debate proposition?

then go, correct my proposition, then and lets get on debating
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

WOW ! You’re only new here so you claim but I’m starting to think you had a previous account here and got banned for trolling.

This is a debate site all you’re doing is attempting to tell everyone you’re a linguistic genius and running around whining , complaining and refusing to debate ……I see you’re feeling extreme b-utt hurt fill out the form explaining how your little feelings are all hurt and someone will get back to wipe your eyes and give you back the toys you tossed from your pram……if you need extra paper to list of your ever growing list of complaints let us know …..

@Dee

You’re only new here so you claim but I’m starting to think you had a previous account here and got banned for trolling.
    Please Site Owner, can you tell this crowd never have I posted here, nor trolled anyone/anywhere on this island/elsewhere?
    Please Site Owner, can you tell this crowd I first created my account some time ago but never used it/connected here until yesterday morning?
    Please Site Owner, can you please do this quickly so the trolls here can finally get over their schizophrenic obsession?
    Amen

"you’re doing is attempting to tell everyone you’re a linguistic genius":
    No, I dont need to show anything to anyone. I certainly dont care what you or others may think of me.
    Just dont use a condescendant argument with me then complain when you get a rightly deserved "genius" smack on your face.
    See, established "superiority", if there is any, is the only thing that the weaks are obliged to acknowledge without looking even more st-@pid.
    Now mock me again and I'll gladly rub the little knowledge I have on your face. 

"refusing to debate": my inputs are here for you to contest. Like i have already asked you many times, have you reviewed my rejection of "god exists"? What did you think of it?
    Did you read it instead of going on and on and on with your "circular argument fallacy"? See, I have learned that thanks to you.

"I see you’re feeling extreme b-utt hurt": you are confusing it with your own little one, whinny little thing you are.

See how bad you feel hurt, you've lost how many minutes of your life ignoring my invitation to debate and instead, went on your image folder to get some fill out paper that one must have sent you before and for which you thought "oh wow, that is an awesome and smart way to prove my point, let me keep that for my future debate with the first newbie on debateisland so I can show the world what smartness means".

Ok, we've all witnessed your smartness.

Now that I've lost enough brain cells with you, do you have any instructive brain stimulating comments to add to my previous inputs on the different topics? 

:)
  • DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

What you’re trying to say is beyond me , it’s a meaningless pile of garbage ….can you try communicate in English?
    @Dee
    just grab a dictionnary, it will surely help.

Or check the Debra AI Analytics icon below my comments, that robot rates on average my grammar accuracy over 90%: this robot does understand me well.
    You may then ask it to help you "comprehend what is beyond you". 

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

The gibberish you speak isn’t recognizable  English …….you’re on here just over a day and all you’re doing is trolling , stalking and complaining ……calm down and try  debating …….I need the laughs 
    Argument Topic: I challenge you: DEBATE WITH ME THE NEWBIE

@Dee
    Me too, I need some laughs!

Since you pretend to be a "debater queen"; and since a good debater should be able to debate each side of whatever topic, I challenge you to a debate with me, the newbie who doesnt even know what a fallacy is.

Easy right?

Your topic: prove that God exists.

Let's all see if you can come up with anything in 30 seconds as you pretend...

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -   edited November 26
    @NoUsername

Your topic: prove that God exists.

I’m an Atheist you Id-iotic creature do you know what an Atheist is?

Your topic : Prove you’re not an Id-iot
    @NoUsername
    scholars of the religions you mentioned or allude to

That is an oxymoron for sure.

There are approximately 10,000 religions, each one purporting to be the only pathway to a particular God. There are 30,000 Christian denominations, each claiming to be the only pathway to God through Jesus. They can't all be right and invariably, none of them is.

• Yes, God does exist. I once read it in a book.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -   edited November 27
    @NoUsername
     You lost.

No I didn't, since the argument closed several posts before. I clearly won....Nevertheless......

Your first assertion is illogical

Wrong. My first assertion was, "this debate has been put out there on more than one occasion........" Now, if you like, I could cite the number of times this debate has been posted. Would you like me to supply such evidence?

@NoUsername
    Now that I've lost enough brain cells with you, do you have any instructive brain stimulating comments to add to my previous inputs on the different topics? 

Don't give up learning...you are doing a damned sight better than many others here.

@ZeusAres42
    Yes, God does exist. I once read it in a book.

Quite right and by the same token Goofy exists because I read it in a comic.

• NoUsernameNoUsername 15 Pts   -   edited November 27
    @Dee
    I’m an Atheist
    ***The topic isnt "repeat: "you are an Atheist" but prove that "God does exist"***

You being an atheist is no evidence nor proof that God does exist. Argument rejected.

Your topic : Prove you’re not an Id-iot
    Your topic is invalid as it uses the negative form: the burden is on you to prove that i am an id-ot.

@Swolliw
    There are approximately 10,000 religions, each one purporting to be the only pathway to a particular God. There are 30,000 Christian denominations, each claiming to be the only pathway to God through Jesus. They can't all be right and invariably, none of them is

I was refering to Hinduism, buddhism in particular because of the comment below:
    "how about the Hindu religion and religions where there are many Gods? Does this indicate that we are entitled to speculate that indeed, none of these Gods actually exists?"

Yet, most of the 10.000 religions have indeed the belief in one superior entity, call it Pacha Mama or Ahura Mazda or Allah or Brahma.
    The fact that he is given different names isnt evidence that indeed there are several gods or that each of their distinct believers see their god as a different god than their conterparts. They call it differently and they serve it differently. But they wont oppose the fact that they do believe in one supreme being above all the other beings they may serve (ex: hinduism).

Actually, only Christians/Paulinists believe that their god is not others.
    While they assert that Christianity is the continuity of the God of the jews, they refuse to share theirs. I say theirs because the Trinity impose 3 distincts personalities and as such, implies the existence of 3 gods that compose 1.

Yet the scriptures on which is based the christian faith, dont contradict the existence of a unique god, it is the contrary actually. And the scholars cannot refute it. 
    Hence no need to ask the 30000 christian denominations scholars, just any knowledgeable bible scholar will confirm. 

So the fact that there are 10000 religions and 30000 or so christian denominations isnt valid evidence to prove that there are indeed many gods.

Wrong. My first assertion was,
     "this debate has been put out there on more than one occasion........" 
    You have to slowly explain that to me, I am not sure to understand what is the effect of this assertion on the topic? :)

Don't give up learning...you are doing a damned sight better than many others here.
    Thank you.
    I was happy to read your feedbacks on both topics so I can go on with my learning. Happy to exchange with you.

• DeeDee 4846 Pts   -  
    @NoUsername

I’m an Atheist
    ***The topic isnt "repeat: "you are an Atheist" but prove that "God does exist"***

Ah right got ya you still.don't know what an Atheist is 

**You being an atheist is no evidence nor proof that God does exist. Argument rejected**

Let me help you out there baboon face ask your mother next time she makes a bit of loose change selling her b-utt to give you some money to buy a dictionary for Dummies and look up the term Atheist 

No one needs further proof of your idiocy remember it is you who begged me to help you by educating you which is impossible as your idiocy is genetic and thus incurable I'm afraid 

@Dee

@NoUsername
    So the fact that there are 10000 religions and 30000 or so christian denominations isnt valid evidence to prove that there are indeed many gods.

And your point being? In other words I wasn't making such an argument in the first place.

@Swolliw
    And your point being? In other words I wasn't making such an argument in the first place.

True, I need to rephrase my comment.
    Not each religion claims to be the only pathway to god and not each denomination claims to be the pathway to jesus (since for example some dont refer to him as god).

They can't all be right and invariably, none of them is.
    you cannot assert that none of them is right if you havent demonstrated that all of them are wrong. Shouldnt you prove this point to make it an assertion?
    ZeusAres42
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2233 Pts   -   edited November 27

tbh I preferred you when you were blastcat. ;)

@ZeusAres42
    I searched for that word on google, no meaning. I searched for this word here, bingo! Sorry to disappoint you, but you will need to grieve over that Blastcat, this aint me.

Someone needs to tell me: is that so rare to have newbies come here to think that I could be a "past" user? Seriously? What is this obsession you have all?
    Am i in a strange new dimension? Reading most of the "smart" comments here, I start to believe so. And when I'm gone from here, are you all gonna harass the next newbie, thinking that he may be me?  :D  

• @ZeusAres42
    I searched for that word on google, no meaning. I searched for this word here, bingo! Sorry to disappoint you, but you will need to grieve over that Blastcat, this aint me.

Someone needs to tell me: is that so rare to have newbies come here to think that I could be a "past" user? Seriously? What is this obsession you have all?
    Am i in a strange new dimension? Reading most of the "smart" comments here, I start to believe so. And when I'm gone from here, are you all gonna harass the next newbie, thinking that he may be me?  :D  

That's rather interesting that you know who that guy is considering his name comes up as band user now.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1477 Pts   -   edited November 30
    @NoUsername
    you cannot assert that none of them is right if you havent demonstrated that all of them are wrong.

Yes I can and I did.

Because of the fact that none of them has proven to be right, one can assume through common sense that all of them are wrong. Why should I need to disprove anything that isn't proven in the first place? What the heck am I disproving...nothing?....derrr something that is er, well, I dunno? 

No, those air-headed nit-wits don't know one thing at all about what they are talking about because they don't have even the slightest bit of evidence to back up their completely contrived and illogical claim.

There is no such thing as God.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4800 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

Regretfully, in this community very few people come here to actually debate anything. Most people seem to be more interested in stroking their ego by saying nasty things to others.

In my experience, the only type of online communities that is protected from ending up this way is those in which people group up by shared views and values - for example, the people may be coffee enthusiasts, sharing the coffee places they have been to, the recipes, the knowledge about coffee cultures in different societies... A typical community that is set up in such a way that serious disagreements are expected usually either ends up an endless flame war battlefield (as is the case on DebateIsland), or becomes so dominated by one ideological group that everyone else leaves it and it becomes an echo-chamber of fist-bumping zealots (as is the case in one gaming community which I used to frequent and even made a few awesome friends in, but had to abandon it eventually).

The obvious solution here is to, instead, get involved in a community like this meeting in person, or to just make a lot of friends who like debating various subjects peacefully. Face-to-face discussions rarely get as much out of hand as online discussions, as the stakes are much higher, and nobody can get away with being a jackass without the shroud of anonymity.
    @MayCaesar
    Regretfully, in this community very few people come here to actually debate anything. 

I'm only going to speak generically and in general here and I certainly won't mention Blastcat but........There was one member who was one of the most despicable, depraved nit-wits ever to come onto this site. His tantrumatic and bizarre behaviors escalated out of control and he was unceremoniously kicked off. 

Now, still speaking generically and in general, without mentioning Username..... The aforementioned type of ex-member will get an irresistible urge to resurrect himself as another member. First he will seem placid, respectful and understanding then, suddenly....off he goes again, spinning out of control even more so than last time. Although I have to say it quite often follows a post made by me for some odd reason.

Anyway, you can tell when this thing happens...they will make several posts (four, to be precise) to the tune of "Someone needs to tell me: is that so rare to have newbies come here......" then you have to hear the alarm bells ringing. Just wait for it.

• BoganBogan 203 Pts   -  
    Has Swallow gone mad?