frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Climate change; fact, scam, or both?

12346»

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FactfinderFactfinder 810 Pts   -   edited February 11
    Bogan said:

Geologists have become the main opponents of AGW.     Here in Australia, Emeritus Professor of Geology Ian Plimer is the bane of the alarmists.      He has now written two books proving that AGW is just malarky.   Opposition to AGW was once rare, and sceptics treated by the press as cranks.    But today, opposition to AGW is becoming much more mainstream.    The alarmists are losing the debate.  
    You realize I've told you repeatedly the alarmists are not invincible and that we can address the fact climate change is real without them, don't you? Just like on your video, the geologist said they look at climate change differently than most 'common' people. Then he went on to explain how geologists see it today as a "sliver" of time of what it is in the long run over history. That's what geologists do. There was no irrational denial like you proclaim. 

Do you get how the facts about climate change caused the shift from the calling it agw to acc? Your coconspirator phite supplied this link:  https://e360.yale.edu/features/air-pollutions-upside-a-brake-on-global-warming in a futile effort to disprove agw. But it supported anthropogenic climate change. His and your continued use of the out dated agw is evident of self deception and delusion. 

The alarmist and the scammers are losing, being outed as I told you from day one. The scientist are winning the debate. (that too I told you). Thankfully about 98% of them agree anthropogenic climate change is real and are studying it.
    ZeusAres42
  • PhitePhite 94 Pts   -  

I'm going to steal a well thought-out play from Bogan's playbook because it perfectly puts the ball in your court.

There is a 97% scientific consensus on climate change.

Okay, who was the person or organization which conducted this mythical poll?  How was it conducted?  How many "scientists" were polled?  Every scientist in the world, or just a  representative example?     If a representative example, how big was the representative example?  How many scientists are there in the world?  Was it a secret ballot ?  Or, was it possible, even probable, that any negative statement made about climate change could be made public and therefore a danger to a scientists continued career as a scientist?

Start with the first one.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 810 Pts   -  
    Phite said:

I'm going to steal a well thought-out play from Bogan's playbook because it perfectly puts the ball in your court.

There is a 97% scientific consensus on climate change.

Okay, who was the person or organization which conducted this mythical poll?  How was it conducted?  How many "scientists" were polled?  Every scientist in the world, or just a  representative example?     If a representative example, how big was the representative example?  How many scientists are there in the world?  Was it a secret ballot ?  Or, was it possible, even probable, that any negative statement made about climate change could be made public and therefore a danger to a scientists continued career as a scientist?

Start with the first one.
    Google it.
    ZeusAres42
  • BarnardotBarnardot 534 Pts   -  
    @Phite @Bogan ;I'm going to steal a well thought-out play from Bogan's playbook because it perfectly puts the ball in your court.

Well first of all you need to accept the fact that there is no such thing as a well throught out play from Bogans Playbook. That is because it has been proven that @Bogan has only half a brain and that nullifies the well thought out theory straight a way. Hes been asked that question before any way and he was unable to answer because guess what? He would have to use the other half of of his brain which he doesnt use. And even if he did he would be smaked in the head with a brick that every thing he comes up with is total 100% made up crapola or comes from scam web sites. And be sides it would take ages for him to chew through all the corks dangling from his Acruba before he would even get a round to even think about addressing such a question. 

• PhitePhite 94 Pts   -  
    Google it.
    In other words, you couldn't find anything.  

If you don't know, that's okay.
    ZeusAres42
    Phite said:
    Google it.
    In other words, you couldn't find anything.  

If you don't know, that's okay.
    Words you've admittedly and demonstrated you live by. Thanks for proving acc to be real.
    ZeusAres42
  • elijah44elijah44 37 Pts   -   edited February 17
    Argument Topic: The Earth warms and cools way less often

Earth's temperature fluctuates naturally over tens of thousands to millions of years. Today, we are experiencing very rapid change in temperature, which is caused by humans (the greenhouse effect). Not only that, but there are many other problems that humans have created:
    Deforestation, habitat deconstruction, overfishing, resource depletion from overconsumption, urbanization, waste generation, marine ecosystem depletion, overfishing, water pollution, industrialization, soil degradation, and much more. I don’t think you will agree with me, but I just wanted to point that out. Edit: I am new to this so I accidentally posted twice so my bad.
    Dreamer
  • elijah44elijah44 37 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: The Earth warms and cools way less often

Earth's temperature fluctuates naturally over tens of thousands to millions of years. Today, we are experiencing very rapid change in temperature, which is caused by humans (the greenhouse effect). Not only that, but there are many other problems that humans have created:
    Deforestation, habitat deconstruction, overfishing, resource depletion from overconsumption, urbanization, waste generation, marine ecosystem depletion, overfishing, water pollution, industrialization, soil degradation, and much more. I don’t think you will agree with me, but I just wanted to point that out.
    Dreamer
  • BarnardotBarnardot 534 Pts   -  
    @Phite @Factfinder In other words, you couldn't find anything.  If you don't know, that's okay.
    Wrong. He is asking you to get off your lazy phat ace and read for yourself. If you have even the slightest desire to argue descently then you will find that correct evidence and links have all ready been posted in this topic. I counted at least three times.. @Factfinder and me and other responsible debaters simply get pizzed off at the bully boy half brain attitude of dum coughs like you and @Bogan who make stu pid comments like that.
    FactfinderZeusAres42
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    @elijah44

Today, we are experiencing very rapid change in temperature, which is caused by humans (the greenhouse effect). Not only that, but there are many other problems that humans have created:

Prove it.
    ZeusAres42
    @Bogan, “ Over at least the past million years, glacial and interglacial cycles have been triggered by variations in how much sunlight reaches the Northern Hemisphere in the summer, which are driven by small variations in the geometry of Earth’s axis and its orbit around the Sun. But these fluctuations in sunlight aren’t enough on their own to bring about full-blown ice ages and interglacials. They trigger several feedback loops that amplify the original warming or cooling.” -Climate.gov article: Hasn’t Earth warmed and cooled naturally throughout history?
    (By, David Herring and Rebecca Lindsey)
    Dreamer
  • PhitePhite 94 Pts   -   edited February 19
    Barnardot said:
    @Phite @Factfinder In other words, you couldn't find anything.  If you don't know, that's okay.
    Wrong. He is asking you to get off your lazy phat ace and read for yourself.
    Uh, yeah.  When he provides something, I'll read it.  But so far he's being answer reluctant.  And I can think of only one thing that causes that.  But since you're hear speaking for him, why don't you post something that will help him with his deficiencies here?
    ZeusAres42
    Phite said:
    Barnardot said:
    Wrong. He is asking you to get off your lazy phat ace and read for yourself.
    Uh, yeah.  When he provides something, I'll read it.  But so far he's being answer reluctant.  And I can think of only one thing that causes that.  But since you're hear speaking for him, why don't you post something that will help him with his deficiencies here?
    I soundly defeated you. You even produced a source backing my position. You think you got something? Cool, tell me if you believe anthropogenic climate change is real. Your source said it was. Said it was cooling the planet, climate change. Then predicted a rebound in which it would warm up. Remember? Go from there. Don't like cook? So, doesn't change the fact all the other censuses he didn't take part of; with accurately revised methods of conducting them say the same thing. Anthropogenic climate change is real, as your source pointed out as well.
    ZeusAres42
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    @elijah44 ;   Hi Elijah.    As an amateur astronomer, I can confirm to you that around the year 2000 (I can not remember the exact year), the amateur astronomy magazines that i read were abuzz with the news that astronomers were predicting that our climate might be headed for a new interglacial Ice Age.     The reason was, that during the Little Ice Age, astronomers at the time noted no sun spot activity on the sun's surface.   Astronomers surmised that a lack of sun spot activity was indicative of a solar minimum event.    Around 2000, astronomers were shocked to find that sun spot activity had again ceased.     There was  collective sigh of relief when sun spots once again appeared, and they marched across the sun's surface again.  
    elijah44
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
  • elijah44elijah44 37 Pts   -   edited February 20
    @Bogan, Peter Foukal of the Massachusetts-based firm Heliophysics, Inc, has been researching the intensities of sunspots around the globe from the past 400 years. He concluded that sunspots have had little effect on global warming. Even other scientists with some of the best technology they agree. But, we would have to cut back on carbon emissions to really get a good observation and conclusion on sunspots. (Kind of ironic)
    DreamerFactfinder
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Hi, welcome to debate island, waves. :)

Thank you for debunking some. :) :) I got tired of debunking a long time ago. I recommend skepticalscience and crankyuncle websites by John Cook.
    Dreamer said:

Thank you for debunking some. :) :) I got tired of debunking a long time ago. I recommend skepticalscience and crankyuncle websites by John Cook.
    Skepticalscience actually impressed me with their honesty. Cook admitted to deficiencies when he first did the infamous consensus and addressed the issues. That and other consensuses that he wasn't a part of aligned with his pretty dang closely.  
    @Dreamer, thank you for the recommendations.
    Dreamer
    When will leftists learn their extremism plays into the far rights hands? Next thing you know we'll have to defend Sonny Hostin's comments to assure people contaminates and pollutants are a bad thing! Please stop the alarmism...

May be an image of 1 person eclipse and text that says The eclipse could be a further indication of climate change -Sonny Hostin The View
    just_sayin
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 963 Pts   -   edited April 11
    Bogan said:
    Bogie,  this was a great video.  I love John Stossel.  I think his point about how most climate change initiatives have negligible impact on the global climate while hurting poor people is an important point that gets buried by propagandist media   I think people like @Dreamer truly believe they are the moral ones, and just ignore the facts of how little their proposed ideas will change the estimated increase in global temperatures.  As Heritage points out:

In fact, the U.S. could cut its carbon dioxide emissions 100 percent and it would not make a difference in abating global warming.

Using the same climate sensitivity (the warming effect of a doubling of carbon dioxide emissions) as the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assumes in its modeling, the world would be only 0.137 degree Celsius cooler by 2100. Even if we assumed every other industrialized country would be equally on board, this would merely avert warming by 0.278 degree Celsius by the turn of the century.  

When you expect poor people to pay $20,000 more for a EV car than they do now, that's someone who doesn't care about poor people, and care more about virtue signaling than actually solving the problem.  

Factfinder
    Bogan said:
    Bogie,  this was a great video.  I love John Stossel.  I think his point about how most climate change initiatives have negligible impact on the global climate while hurting poor people is an important point that gets buried by propagandist media   I think people like @Dreamer truly believe they are the moral ones, and just ignore the facts of how little their proposed ideas will change the estimated increase in global temperatures.  As Heritage points out:

In fact, the U.S. could cut its carbon dioxide emissions 100 percent and it would not make a difference in abating global warming.

Using the same climate sensitivity (the warming effect of a doubling of carbon dioxide emissions) as the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assumes in its modeling, the world would be only 0.137 degree Celsius cooler by 2100. Even if we assumed every other industrialized country would be equally on board, this would merely avert warming by 0.278 degree Celsius by the turn of the century.  

When you expect poor people to pay $20,000 more for a EV car than they do now, that's someone who doesn't care about poor people, and care more about virtue signaling than actually solving the problem.  

Well you see the plan would be to impose more taxes, take other peoples money so the poor along with having free housing, can drive new Tesla's. Then the working class can be demonized for driving 5 year old gas powered cars. 

Seriously though you're right, virtue signaling isn't helping to solve the problem.
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    ZeusAres42
  • The ability to cause chaos on unprecedented levels seems to be an emergent property of the human condition. 
    Factfinder

@ZeusAres42

So true. Why can't we just approach a problem for what it is? It doesn't have to be an 'all in' mentality of us vs them. 
    ZeusAres42
  • @Factfinder

Here, I was reflecting on the notion that some people have when we engage in this discussion, which is something like, "Surely, we simple humans couldn't cause something as great as climate change", which is an incredibly reductionist take.
    Factfinder

@ZeusAres42

True but then again we're dealing with people who think Large metropolitan cities are "insignificant" pockets of air pollution, causing copd and all.